Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
West Coasters. We should always revisit the topic of holding the runoffs on the West coast. I've heard the reasons for holding it on the East Coast indefinitely and I frankly don't agree with them. SCCA should listen and include \all of its members. The current runoffs survey is a great way to register your displeasure with this decision and ask SCCA to reconsider. In the survey I state that I won't attend the runoffs and suggest that it be held on the West coast every other year. It's a illogical argument that the current contract formats don't permit this -- just change the way we contract with tracks and make it every other year for x number of years.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Where is this survey? Couldn't find it on the general site or the member log in site.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Survey was emailed to SCCA National liscense holders.

FYI, the runoffs have not been held on the east coast for about 20 years. Not since Road Atlanta. Mid Ohio, Topeka and Road America are a long ways from the east coast. I would call them centrally located to the population density of the country. Face the facts, my guess is that 80% of the country is within a 2 day drive of these tracks. While only 20% would be within 2 days of any west coast track.

As for the contract; I know the price tag to hold the Runoffs is very high. No track would do it without a multy year contract.

Just my opinion
Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Dave, that is the odd perspective that keeps the West coast from participating... Take a look at the map. It is not centrally in any way. I don't agree with the facts you stated, as I've run the numbers of SCCA competitors in different regions and while there are more on the East coast, it is not as substantial as you make it out to be. I understand as a local vendor that you would be against my proposal.

There is no reason that SCCA could not negotiate contracts similar to NASA or switch back and forth between years and I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum agree that a little thinking outside the box (if folks really want to) could solve this.

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I do not know this, as I am rather new to SCCA racing and NASA for that matter but didn't SCCA try to fix this problem by holding the runnoffs in the very middle of the country at Topeka KS? I may not have all my facts straight, but it seems to me a good friend who was racing back in those days, said that was a miserable flop as there was not enough sustained interest in racing at Topeka and the numbers of entrants plumeted.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, and it did not seem to me that Dave, called you out in any way shape of form, he just simply stated a contrary opinion. I can truthfully say when NASA moves back to Miller, I will not go to the National championships those years, and I can certainly understand why someone on the west coast might not want to attend Road America, or Mid Ohio.

How do you fix this problem, who knows...

I got my survey and responded to it. It is only available to those with a National Lic.

Bruce, thats great that you voiced your opinion, keep on doing so thats what makes any organization great when people care enough to let their opinions be known.

I for one would like the 25 hour race to be moved to the east coast every two years but I seriously doubt that is gonna happen.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
All meant as a healthy discussion and not meant to call anyone out or worried that anyone called me out.

All good :wub:

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Topeka bad, Utah better...Posted Image

40% unite :D

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
LOL good luck selling it with that diagram make Utah look as far as China to me :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Number:70
I talked to the Prez at the runoffs this year about coming out west and he said there aren't any cars out here. This was at a bar so I don't know how much he had to drink.

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Please read exactly what I wrote. The last 3 venues have been "centrally located to the population density". There are not a lot of people between the eastern California border and the Mississippi river. Lots of land, but not that many people.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Tyler, what he meant was there is no car counts because everyone on the West coast gave up on National racing because we've been shut out of the runoffs for 20+ years, except for the year at Topeka. Participation numbers Dave, not National because we all gave up on those -- total car cont by region.

We can all spin statistics for a good long time I'm sure, but this is a national club with lots of participants in all parts of the contry who shoul have a chance at the runoffs, or make a East and West and leave it at that!

-bw

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11
Wise man once said you can please some of the people all the time, all people some of the time (rarely). But it is impossible to please all the people all the time.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
The population center (mean) of the USA is Missouri including Hawaii and Alaska. And believe it or not, the 50/50 line runs almost exactly on Chicago.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA