Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
I responded to the survey that a qualifying race should be included to make the format more like the NASA format which is terrific. Not only is it a fun format but it also rewards consistency throughout the event.
  • Glenn and Jim Drago like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Though we are still new to this hobby, one thing is a fact, Road America is a long way from CA. Will be starting a new season shortly(3rd) and have never considered running a National event because the only point for us is if we were going to go to the runoffs...which is just not in the cards. Utah is another story!! So because we don't do National events, we are not on the survey list... whats wrong with this picture???

It would be interesting to know the average distance traveled for the competitors at the last couple Runoffs who finished south of 20th place? Just curious to see if this group is made up of mostly locals...maybe less than a 8hr tow?

The West Coast seems to be the ugly stepchild :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Austin is lovely in Sept......

"Dear Mr. Ecclestone, We would like to hold our amateur club racing championship at that little track in Texas. What kind of deal can you give us?"

The West Coast seems to be the ugly stepchild

No, regional racers are the ugly stepchildren of the SCCA.

They can hold the Runoffs on Mars for all I care. :devil:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Did anyone notice the condenced schedulke had 110 minutes of downtime each day. Talk about total ineffeciency. And how about that the average run group at a 4 mile track was around 14 or 15 cars with the exception of a few groups. some were less than that.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Only 110 minutes of down time per day !!! That is efficient for SCCA

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:3
Home court advantage Tom?

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

"Dear Mr. Ecclestone, We would like to hold our amateur club racing championship at that little track in Texas. What kind of deal can you give us?"

CotA reps have communicated to me via email that they are indeed planning to run amateur bike and car events. The old man isn't going to have much if any say in other events there. Red is not all "golly, gee, shucks, guys" as he may let on. He is every bit as ruthless as Ecclestone and by some accounts a whole lot more vengeful. Bobby Epstein isn't as warm and fuzzy as one might believe in the press conferences. If there is money to be made in track rentals, they'll rent it out and an octogenarian troll in London isn't going to have any input. Rumor in those circles is that there is foreign money, but not from Europe but from Mexico.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
It was a joke dsteve (apparently not a very good one)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Looks like it's time to put the code scanner on my humor sensors..... :guinness:

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
do what is good for the people as a whole
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
See even Andrew agrees with me :)

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Question 1: What should the runoffs be?

Biggest possible race? Stiffest competition? Equally difficult for everyone to attend? Does it need to be big?

The answer to that question will best determine where and how it should be held.

If you want the biggest possible race, host it within a day's drive of the greatest number of racers at a track that can handle it (splitting the event if necessary to make room for everyone)

If you want the toughest competition, host it where the fastest racers are, (tough to tell) and host it at a skill track.

If you want a smaller event with less carnage, limit invitations and include a tow fund for anyone that wins their region/division in a popular class.

If you think everyone will come, go ahead and put it at the center of population mass in the country. That assumes people will do the tow.

Personally, I would pick a corner of the country that is densely populated with racers and talent and host it there for a year, then move it to another hot region. People that are truely hungry will find a way to get there. Choose tracks that make for great racing and reward talent, not horsepower. If the paddock is too small, split it like the survey suggested.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Question 1: What should the runoffs be?

Biggest possible race? Stiffest competition? Equally difficult for everyone to attend? Does it need to be big?

The answer to that question will best determine where and how it should be held.

That is a question that I have asked for a long time... As a club, there is NO collective answer to that question. My answer was make it a big party and let ALL attend, see 2010. Lots of carnage in SM, but not sure that had anything to do with the bottom half of those that came, more the front half.

Many of the in the old guard felt "you should have to be beat someone" to qualify for the Runoffs, maybe so. The only problem is, MANY DON'T BEAT 1/25 th of the cars a top 15 SM driver beats.

I don't care what the Runoffs "should be" but lets clearly define it and plan accordingly as a club.

If we want the best of the best... I hate to break it to the "you should have to be beat someone crowd", but if you want the best of the best, here it is:

SM/SRF Top 3 in each division
EVERY other class best 1-2 in division.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

That is a question that I have asked for a long time... As a club, there is NO collective answer to that question. My answer was make it a big party and let ALL attend, see 2010. Lots of carnage in SM, but not sure that had anything to do with the bottom half of those that came, more the front half.

Many of the in the old guard felt "you should have to be beat someone" to qualify for the Runoffs, maybe so. The only problem is, MANY DON'T BEAT 1/25 th of the cars a top 15 SM driver beats.

I don't care what the Runoffs "should be" but lets clearly define it and plan accordingly as a club.

If we want the best of the best... I hate to break it to the "you should have to be beat someone crowd", but if you want the best of the best, here it is:

SM/SRF Top 3 in each division
EVERY other class best 1-2 in division.

Speaking for myself, with it further away from San Diego than Miller, I'm probably not going to even consider going unless I start stomping the locals here.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Personally, I would pick a corner of the country that is densely populated with racers and talent and host it there for a year, then move it to another hot region. People that are truely hungry will find a way to get there. Choose tracks that make for great racing and reward talent, not horsepower. If the paddock is too small, split it like the survey suggested.

That would work better than what we have now. Even if it had to be two years at each area(track). Rotate through Midwest (current), Northeast, Southeast, Texas and California (North). I like the idea of the home track advantage, AND "bringing it" to other peoples houses!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users