24 replies to this topic

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994
Currently I have my SM sitting on a set of Enkei RFP01 with R888s (both illegal). I need to get a set of wheels for drys & wet setup. I'm looking through the rules and you have to run a 15x7 wheel (with obviously 4x100 bolt pattern) that weighs a minimum 13 lbs without the tire. I've seen guys running Team Dynamics, Tirerack TR?? wheels, Kosei wheels, and some others. I'm not sure what is the preferred wheel especially for a '94 Miata. The tirerack wheels are $89 each which is pretty cheap.

Also what offset / backspacing do I need?

Or even better if anyone has any used wheels they want to sell w/ or w/o RA1 tires let me know.

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Your Enkei wheels are not legal for sm. They would be great for running PTE with NASA though. The most adventagous offset is the 25mm as it is the widest, All the wheels you mentioned are great, I personally have had TR, Kosei, Team Dynamics, and I just bought some D-Force rims from 5xracing.com I know it wont seem like it would make much difference if the wheel is 13.8 or 13.3 or 13.4lb but it makes a huge difference in SM racing snd probably with any close class of racing, get your wheels as close the 13.0 as you can, that is why I bought the D-Force. That is the reason a 1/32 shaved toyo is faster than a 3/32 shaved toyo.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
The rule is the max car track width, which come down to using 25 offset. Some can and do use 30, which is isnt as wide. Also there spacer for 38 etc.
I think the max spacer is13 you can use. also you need the long studs for that.
Remember the smaller the number, the more it stick out.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
I run 30 offset Tire Rack wheels with 5mm spacers and extended studs. Price is great and dual valve stems makes it easy. Hard to beat $89 each. Pretty sure they've never cost me higher lap times!

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Spacers aren't cheap! Buy 25's and be done with it. Your wheels if they are in good shape command a premium used...sold mine for $600 without tires :thumbsup:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
konig rewinds with 25mm spacers, they are very strong and .2 over the 23 lb minimum.

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon

konig rewinds with 25mm spacers, they are very strong and .2 over the 23 lb minimum.

I thought the 23 lb minimum was just for the 99. :spin:
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
I have 2 sets of the TR Motorsports, well., one set is on the street car.

These wheels are 13.1-2 lbs. $89 each. HELLO??

$407.xx/set to my door 2 days later.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Collin Wolfert

Collin Wolfert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Does anyone know the minimum wheel weight for a NB 2001 LS? I'm starting to build my miata for spec. Running NASA, possibly SCCA.

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Does anyone know the minimum wheel weight for a NB 2001 LS? I'm starting to build my miata for spec. Running NASA, possibly SCCA.

same for the whole class - 13 lbs.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco

I don't mean for this to sound bad but, if you're building, you should look at the rules pretty soon, do searches here for do's and don't or best ways and check out the build blogs here as well, IMO.
Also get DaveW book if you don't already.
Good luck,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994
Highly recommend reading the rulesets for which organization you plan on racing in either NASA or SCCA. It is very easy to go too far in gutting the car or making modifications in SM that you cannot easily go back from. Get the Dave Wheeler Spec Miata Constructors Guide and I also bought the Enthusiasts Guide to the Miata (UK book but with great pictures and procedures as to how to work on at Miata).

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Number:12
Any feedback on using spacers? Anyone noticing the difference in adding the 5 or 10mm to the track? How about this,,,,the rear width is 3/4 of an inch wider than the front, anyone spacing the front to try to get close to the rear?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Any feedback on using spacers? Anyone noticing the difference in adding the 5 or 10mm to the track? How about this,,,,the rear width is 3/4 of an inch wider than the front, anyone spacing the front to try to get close to the rear?

There is a maximum track width which is spelled out in the GCR...but the general rule of thumb is 25mm offset wheels(15x7) will get you there on any year Miata. You can use spacers to get you to this width with a max spacer thickness of 13mm. So if you have a set off 38mm offset wheels...13mm spacers will be perfect and the biggest you can use. You have to use the same spacers and or wheels(offsets) on every corner...no staggers.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
The same spacers aren't required on each corner. Both sides of each axle must be the same so you can use them in the front but not the rear or vise versa.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
IMO the D-Force 25mm offset wheels are currently the best for SM

- Perfect weight
- Strong as hell
- No messing around with spacers

5X Racing carries them for SM as do we.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
I think it's funny only one person caught my typo.... 23 lbs vs the correct 13 lbs :scratchchin:

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:11

Any input on this guys? I was also wondering the same thing. Which is more beneficial...widest possible track overall (1450mm front and 1475mm rear) or match the front and the back to 1450mm track width?
-David Schroeder

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
I used spacers up front only to help with an understeer problem I was having with my car. Turns out the problem was a combination of setup and driver but the spacers did seem to help a bit.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Any input on this guys? I was also wondering the same thing. Which is more beneficial...widest possible track overall (1450mm front and 1475mm rear) or match the front and the back to 1450mm track width?

Last time I checked the rules stated that you had to had to run the same offset front and rear and same track width front and rear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users