CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44
Just saw this article. Sounds like fun. Wish there was something like it in the South. Who is racing?

SOUTH BOSTON, Va. — South Boston Speedway and Long Road Racing have introduced the new Spec Miata Oval Racing Series at the historic four-tenths-mile South Boston Speedway.

For the first time, Spec Miata racers will be able to race under the lights in a unique short-track format.

Full story here:

http://bit.ly/wKCQyf

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Roll-out the back-up car...
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Love it, the SMORS races.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Really cool...and cheap! Can you say positive camber??? :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
I think this is an awesome idea that I would like to see more of. SCCA/NASA should be proactive here.

One of my few complaints about road course racing is that the tracks
can be quite a ways away depending on where you live.

I doubt short track racing is as fun as road course but there are many many more short tracks
around. It would be great to have the short track option for those of us who don't live near a big track.

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
FORTY BUCKS! Looking better all the time! :thumbsup:

I could maybe afford some new tires.

Never raced on new tires before. :spin:

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Cheap - right up until you bounce your unibodied car off the wall.

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Cheap - right up until you bounce your unibodied car off the wall.

Party pooper!

I'm just looking for additional racing opportunities.

My car is spending a lot of time in the trailer. Part of the
reason is the expense involved in road racing but another biggie
for me is the time commitment. Long pull on Thurs, practice on Fri, qualify Sat,
race Sun long pull home Sunday night or Mon.

I still work full time. Being able to take 3-5 days off more than twice a year can
be difficult. I live 45 minutes from two different circle tracks. Squeezing all of the above
into 1-2 days has an appeal to me.

Wrecking sux for sure no matter where it happens.

It would be cool to get some first hand reports
from anyone at the Boston race listed above.

If I could just get someone to build a 2.5 mile road course in Destin, FL!

Later

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
No doubt - it sounds like fun - and I'm in the same boat as far as vacation time goes. However, there's a 1/3 mile bullring in my town that runs a class called 'Crazy Compacts' which are mostly Cavaliers/Sunbirds. They have cages but when they hit the wall they fold-up. IMO unibody cars do not make very safe oval trackers.

How much expense to replace your SM?

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
Alrady done by the great von c ck out car 67 black and white alot of fun

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
They race all sorts of little foreign cars on ovals around here. Hornet classes and such. I often see them for around $500. They say they're competitive but who knows. You couldn't fix much on a SM for that.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Long Road Racing

Long Road Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
So who's in? We have a good group of cars so far. We (Spec Miata) will have it's own run group - it will be a blast. Sign up at http://www.longroadr...gistration.aspx Feel free to email questions to: Glenn@LongRoadRacing.com

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

So who's in? We have a good group of cars so far. We (Spec Miata) will have it's own run group - it will be a blast. Sign up at http://www.longroadr...gistration.aspx Feel free to email questions to: Glenn@LongRoadRacing.com

CRAP Glenn, thats the same weekend as the Summit Point DBL National! Had hoped to debut the new car at the OVAL, but will probably do the National instead.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
South Boston Speedway is one of the best short tracks in the country. I've been there over 20 times with the Pro Cup series and it was always one of my favorites. The track manager, Cathy Rice, is a great person and a racers track manager. The track itself is in great condition and is a fast 4/10 mile. Turn two will take you right up to the back straight wall after you have hugged the bottom line in one and two. I've always thought the front straight was a bit slower but still quick. Last time I was there, our fastest qualifier turned a one lap average speed of 91.007 MPH. Pits are nice, all paved. Access to pit is on back straight just out of turn #2.

Wish I could make it but I have another race that weekend at a nearby short track, Orange County Speedway outside Durham, NC.

Have fun.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I wonder what contact rules they'll use, SCCA/NASA or NASCAR/South Boston? :pimp:

A couple of random thoughts...

There are unibody based classes at many if not most short tracks these days. They're called Hornet, U-Car, Mini Stock. Basically a fully stock front wheel drive car. Most have claiming rules to keep the costs low. Nearly a watcha brung class. Strip all glass expect for windshield, strip the interior, some are optional race seat, harness and handheld fire bottle and you're good to go. We've got a Hornet on stands for the 16 year old daughter of the chief fabricator for the 00 team. I've developed a Hornet cage kit as well.

South Boston is one of the best short tracks in the country. :thumbsup:

Cost of entry and pit passes? That's normal for short track. Ours has been $35 car/driver, $25 crew (though both need NASCAR licenses). I hear talk it's going up $10 this year. How they do that is the difference between the club racing business model and the short track model. Typically the promoter owns the track, gets local sponsorship, local beer distributor, soda bottler, auto parts, whatever. they make money of the front and back gate (back gate are the racers) and much of the time from tire and fuel sales. For example the Bullring can get a couple thousand in the front gate on a local nigh, more when a tour comes to town, and 80-100 cars (which is low compared to some tracks). I don't know that the short track model can be applied to club racing but there are some things that each side could learn from the other.

BTW, for those that don't follow short track, it's South Boston, Virginia. Not Beantown. :nerd:

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
What a rush....800HP

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Stevens, you left out that there is also a purse at short tracks. You can actually win money.

I think it would be cool to build a dedicated oval track Miata. (My God, I think I would get dizzy going round in circles)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users