Photo

Used Driver's Suit - Good Budget Move or Mistake?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
I'm looking to get started in wheel to wheel racing next season (2013) and so to avoid the huge bill all in one year I've been getting a few things in advance that can be used now for HPDE and racing later. Picked up my helmet last year and and I'm going to get the rest of my safety gear this summer including a drivers suit. This is one area I don't want to skimp, but like all of us I do have a budget so spending $1500 to get a high end suit isn't realistic.

I came across a web site selling used driver and crew suits from NASCAR and the prices seemed really reasonable compared to buying something brand new. Some even were brand new and being sold for $300 simply because they changed sponsors. I'm not sure if I can post the company's name/link here but they had about 500 used suits for sale so I'm sure some of you know who I'm talking about. Other than the ego issue of having to wear someone else's name or a suit loaded with sponsors I could care less about, are there safety issues with doing this since they may have been used 40-50 times in a year? What questions should I be asking? Since some of them are only a year old I would think they can't be any worse than something used 4-5 years for club racing and they would have the latest technology at a fraction of the price.

So is this a deal for entry level racers who don't care what they look like, or simply a big mistake to even consider something like this from a safety stand point?

Ryan J
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
My 3-layer Sparco was a closeout item at Saferacer that I snagged for $600 (down from $1300).

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I have purchases 3 used racing suits in the past off Ebay, all 3 were FIA suits and were in great shape, 2 of suits were used in Indy Car racing series, I payed roughly $250.00 each for those two, and still use one of them to this day. These suits are not the latest tech in body cooling and the suits, the suits are a bit hotter and a bit heavier than the new high end suits. Nothing the matter with a good used suit.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12
I have 3 suits from Ebay as well. They were crew suits (No name) so the knee's were a tiny bit scuffed but other than that great shape! They came from the Saleen ALMS team.

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I bought my suit new. But has been a used suit for the past 10 years !!!!!!

Just make sure it is either multilayer or you will need to purchase undies. I would do those new :->

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
I was actually thinking of going with a good quality multi-layer suit and some NEW undies. From what I've read, having both essentially adds another air gap and gives you a few more seconds if you were ever to unfortunate enough to need it. I was also warned to avoid the used ones with the "rookie stripes" in them so I agree with your advice. ;-)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ryan J
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users