Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
Anyone make it to the NASA event there this past weekend?

I would be interested in hearing impressions of the new track
and facilities.

Thanks
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
Yes!!! What a great track this is. My SM is D.O.A. for myriad internal problems, probably fatal (not wrecked), so I had to drive my supercharged street Miata in HPDE4 with the Porsche GT3s (from Florida and other areas) and other very fast TT cars (M3 Bimmer and JCW special edition Mini Cooper). We ran the 1.8 mile track with the short front straight that saw me at ONLY 121 mph, and the long straight layout (2.75 miles) would be significantly faster. The Spec Miatas were at the top end of 4th gear at the end of the straight, whereas my Supercharged car hit 5th gear just before reaching the start/finish line (105mph shifting into 5th).

Now for the Spec Miata news: first day was overcast with intermittent sprinkles. Best SM lap was 1:29.9, most in the 30s. Next day, sun shining and cool, best lap in the 28s. The track is fast, challenging, but NOT likely to induce off-road excursions, unless the driver is new to the track or has brake failure. (Don't ask how I know BOTH factors, LOL) The surface of this track is very smooth (though still green asphalt and has remaining construction dust) and will only get better with time/usage. Tire wear was like polishing the rubber- no marbling of the shoulders or tread area. There is tire wear, of course, but not worse than other similar tracks IMHO.

If you like speed, the 2.75 mile track will be even better (I have previously run some laps on the longer version in my street Lotus Elise SC), as the the fast cars will probably reach 160-180 mph on the straight, and 120-130 for SMs. That is the reason we ran the shorter version while everyone is still learning the track; the long version is about a quarter mile longer, so it's very, very fast. The infield is still being developed and lacks sod right now, but there are good runoff areas everywhere, and little danger of need for that. As to safety, take for example the 1.8 mile track first turn: the turn-in area at the end of the front straight is 50 feet wide, with a quarter mile of straight runoff, which would be good even if you had absolutely NO brakes of any kind! Is that long enough? LOL.

The track staff is exceptionally knowledgeable, courteous and helpful, and I know of absolutely NO NEGATIVES about the track, the staff or the experience. The food at the restaurant is excellent, not your ordinary fare (they have their own fulltime CHEF for goodness sake). The gas station is still under construction, but will open very soon.

IMHO: "Try it. You'll like it."

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19

Yes!!! What a great track this is. My SM is D.O.A. for myriad internal problems, probably fatal (not wrecked), so I had to drive my supercharged street Miata in HPDE4 with the Porsche GT3s (from Florida and other areas) and other very fast TT cars (M3 Bimmer and JCW special edition Mini Cooper). We ran the 1.8 mile track with the short front straight that saw me at ONLY 121 mph, and the long straight layout (2.75 miles) would be significantly faster. The Spec Miatas were at the top end of 4th gear at the end of the straight, whereas my Supercharged car hit 5th gear just before reaching the start/finish line (105mph shifting into 5th).

Now for the Spec Miata news: first day was overcast with intermittent sprinkles. Best SM lap was 1:29.9, most in the 30s. Next day, sun shining and cool, best lap in the 28s. The track is fast, challenging, but NOT likely to induce off-road excursions, unless the driver is new to the track or has brake failure. (Don't ask how I know BOTH factors, LOL) The surface of this track is very smooth (though still green asphalt and has remaining construction dust) and will only get better with time/usage. Tire wear was like polishing the rubber- no marbling of the shoulders or tread area. There is tire wear, of course, but not worse than other similar tracks IMHO.

If you like speed, the 2.75 mile track will be even better (I have previously run some laps on the longer version in my street Lotus Elise SC), as the the fast cars will probably reach 160-180 mph on the straight, and 120-130 for SMs. That is the reason we ran the shorter version while everyone is still learning the track; the long version is about a quarter mile longer, so it's very, very fast. The infield is still being developed and lacks sod right now, but there are good runoff areas everywhere, and little danger of need for that. As to safety, take for example the 1.8 mile track first turn: the turn-in area at the end of the front straight is 50 feet wide, with a quarter mile of straight runoff, which would be good even if you had absolutely NO brakes of any kind! Is that long enough? LOL.

The track staff is exceptionally knowledgeable, courteous and helpful, and I know of absolutely NO NEGATIVES about the track, the staff or the experience. The food at the restaurant is excellent, not your ordinary fare (they have their own fulltime CHEF for goodness sake). The gas station is still under construction, but will open very soon.

IMHO: "Try it. You'll like it."

Wow thanks for the nice review. I'm really looking forward to getting out there this year.

On another note I have to say once again I am surprised by the lack of interest about the NOLA MSP
on this forum. We don't get a new road course very often so I thought it would generate more buzz.

The fact that it is just outside New Orleans is a super bonus. So many tracks are pretty isolated.

Thanks again for the detailed report. I am trying to make the late March NASA event there so maybe
we will bump into each other (off the track, of course).

Regards

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Number:77
You're welcome! I hope to see you there. I don't know what car I'll be driving, but I will be there if I'm alive and well, LOL.

Good news! We will get to run the entire "north track", 2.75 miles long! It's a hoot, though I've only run one half hour session on the long route, and don't have it figured out completely. In my street (supercharged) Miata I'll be doing about 130 on the straight, leading to turn one. So, I have installed a new set of carbotech pads, front and rear. No brake pad disappearance next time! The additional track includes some technical twists and turns to the track.

Future plans (currently pending completion of the remainder of the facilities) are to add another 2+ miles of "south track", which will connect with the north track, making the entire circuit more than FIVE MILES LONG. This will soon become the longest circuit in North America, and let me tell you, it will be FINE. When the buildings are completed and the infields sodded, etc, etc, this track will most closely remind me of Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. But it's probably a little faster than Barber, given the high-speed turns, the wide turnins and the long straights.

As to the lack of board comments: This could be the best-kept secret in american road-racing. When you drive this track, enjoy the Chef's food (even the sandwiches are a cut above), and interact with the friendly, capable staff at NOLA you will make every event you can fit into your schedule. I'm serious. They have a crew of mechanics that can work on any car made in the world: Ferrari, Lamby, Porsche, Lotus, Vette, Open wheel, whatever! They build cars, engines, sell parts, tires, etc, etc. Break down and they can fix your car. They can dyno your car, set it up, you name it. Full service! The gas station (driveup, insert credit card, fillup, drive off, is almost complete.)This is a great venue for racing or lapping or hanging out. Laney has already invested Sixty Million bucks, and only half the track has been built. Talk about committment to racing! And this started out to be just a track where Laney and his buds could play with their race cars! 650 acres have already been purchased and more to be added.

( I have no monetary interest or selfish motive in writing about NOLA. I live only 74 miles from the track, so it's the closest track to my home in Louisiana. I have driven Road Atlanta, Barber, Texas World Speedway, MSR Houston, Talladega Grand Prix and a bunch of other nice tracks, and I just want to share what I have learned about this track so everyone will have a chance to enjoy NOLA at least ONCE. I believe the experience will entice you back. )

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Where is the track located? Near I-10?

(null)
Paul McLester
SM #3

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Just SW of NOLA on the south side of the river:

http://maps.google.c...=15000&t=h&z=16

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Just SW of NOLA on the south side of the river:

http://maps.google.c...=15000&t=h&z=16

Never been and prob never will but I can't stop thinking...
"If you're going to do it, do it now before it become a great fishing hole"
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40
In-car footage from (Porsche GT3 Cup).

Toby Linder