7 replies to this topic

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1990
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm taking the car to an SM shop to have it looked at and either modified or gutting it and starting fresh.

This is by far the most helpful forum I've joined!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I am not a fabricator, but you are correct, that cage is not legal.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I am not a fabricator, but you are correct, that cage is not legal.

Thanks, I was hoping somehow whoever built the cage knew something that I didn't, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also wished it was something the shop picked up that's doing all the mods to meet the GCR.

Can anyone chime in on if the cage can be SAFELY modified to meet the rules; i.e. remove the main hoop and rear downward braces and install new ones to meet the cage rules?

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
Possibly, also what are the angles on those rear braces. Min is 30 degrees

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Possibly, also what are the angles on those rear braces. Min is 30 degrees

Braces are 35* measured from the plane after the bend. At this point, if it can be modified, id have those redone as well

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Thanks, I was hoping somehow whoever built the cage knew something that I didn't, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also wished it was something the shop picked up that's doing all the mods to meet the GCR.

Can anyone chime in on if the cage can be SAFELY modified to meet the rules; i.e. remove the main hoop and rear downward braces and install new ones to meet the cage rules?

The issue with just replacing pieces is the time consumed in salvaging the usable pieces and working them to fit in new hoop arrangement. In my case, I'd charge you more in labor to cut out the pieces and refit them in just the main hoop area than to cut and notch new. Depends on who is doing the work and how they charge. Plus, with the new arrangement some pieces might be too short or bent at the wrong angle for a retrofit. From the pic it looks like it's a top hoop arrangement instead of an A pillar and crossbar arrangement. From the little info I have here, I'd cut the top mount points off, past the weld into the main hoop. That would give enough room to work the new hoop into the current top halo/hoop. Then I would recut, rebend using all new material the new main hoop and cross pieces and the rear kickers.

Now, we haven't seen your A pillar drops or door bar tie ins so you could still be screwed if they were built in the same fashion as the main hoop. If that's the case get a good SM cage builder if there is one near or get a kit and take it to a race fab shop. I know there are SM shops in ATL and Drago is in Memphis. I'd heartily suggest an SM shop or fabricator, at least a sports car race shop and not a circle track shop. And that comes from a guy that is working on five hobby stock cars in various fab capacities, all involving cages over the last couple of months. Were I you, I'd bite the bullet, take it to an SM shop, see what they say and if need be, gut and get something appropriate for the car.

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

The issue with just replacing pieces is the time consumed in salvaging the usable pieces and working them to fit in new hoop arrangement. In my case, I'd charge you more in labor to cut out the pieces and refit them in just the main hoop area than to cut and notch new. Depends on who is doing the work and how they charge. Plus, with the new arrangement some pieces might be too short or bent at the wrong angle for a retrofit. From the pic it looks like it's a top hoop arrangement instead of an A pillar and crossbar arrangement. From the little info I have here, I'd cut the top mount points off, past the weld into the main hoop. That would give enough room to work the new hoop into the current top halo/hoop. Then I would recut, rebend using all new material the new main hoop and cross pieces and the rear kickers.

Now, we haven't seen your A pillar drops or door bar tie ins so you could still be screwed if they were built in the same fashion as the main hoop. If that's the case get a good SM cage builder if there is one near or get a kit and take it to a race fab shop. I know there are SM shops in ATL and Drago is in Memphis. I'd heartily suggest an SM shop or fabricator, at least a sports car race shop and not a circle track shop. And that comes from a guy that is working on five hobby stock cars in various fab capacities, all involving cages over the last couple of months. Were I you, I'd bite the bullet, take it to an SM shop, see what they say and if need be, gut and get something appropriate for the car.

Wow, that is great information, thank you for your reply. Yeah, at this point, if it becomes too involved to just replace the main hoop, I will just end up replacing the entire cage and have a proper cage built.

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
Try AutoTechnik in the Ft Myers area, or BSI in Daytona Beach. Neither one is very far from you.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users