• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR
I'm trying to figure out just what needs to be connected at the cutoff switch. I know the pos. cable from batt. and the other goes to the startrer. But what about the Alt. wire ? And do I need to rewire the fusebox. I'm having trouble finding the correct answers so I thought You guys may be able to help me out
Thanx for any input.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
I ran it this way:

1. Stock battery positive connection off of battery to one side of switch.

2. New battery positive connection to other side of switch directly to battery

2. Removed white wire off of alternator and run to the starter where battery connects.

3. Run wire from where white wire was on alternator to the battery side of switch

Now switch will control BOTH battery supplied power and alternator supplied power.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Niklas Falk

Niklas Falk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:55
There are several ways to do it and my way is not for SCCA/NASA (but it works good enough for FIA).

I have the switch in the center console (pull wire to the driver A-pillar), just to explain some reasons for doing it differently.
My switch breaks the ground to the battery and the 12V coming from the ignition switch. Since the Alt is regulated by the ECU, it stops giving power as soon as the ECU looses power. I have tested it both in controlled tests and by accident at full throttle (I hit the switch by accident while shifting), and it works as it should (it sure dies).

Whatever you do, don't copy this (or anything else really) until you checked with some technicians. The techs are the ones who issue log books and let you start, regardless what solutions someone else have managed to run for a number of years somewhere else.

ndrewoods

ndrewoods

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I ran it this way:

1. Stock battery positive connection off of battery to one side of switch.

2. New battery positive connection to other side of battery switch directly to battery

2. Removed white wire off of alternator and run to the starter where battery connects.

3. Run wire from where white wire was on alternator to the battery side of switch

Now switch will control BOTH battery supplied power and alternator supplied power.

Hope this helps, good luck.

+1. I am sure this will help. This is also how I do it. Just be careful with connecting it with the battery switch.

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
Advanced Autosports sells a great kit for this. Dave W is on this site often or you could search for his website. I went the easy route and bought his kit. Well thought out and great instructions.

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
I did it the same way as Gunpilot except I am running a remote solenoid system and I have 2 toggle switches with red covers in the car that can trip the solenoid cut off. I have one in the center console and the other one is over near the pass window.
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users