Photo

Hallet National/ BFG Super tour double

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Some things are just all wrong & this is one of them. Offending driver please read SCCA GCR 6.11.1.A. through D. Rules Of The Road

Sorry this deal happened kent.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I hate looking at one video and try to figure out what happened for sure. It would be nice to see the 73 video. I agree the video we do have makes it look vary avoidable. However, this it between the two drivers, and not the forum , so if Kent is satisfied, then that is all that matters.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
One thing I think we need to all keep in mind here is this is amateur racing and we make mistakes, that's why we aren't pro's (and even they make mistakes). I am not trying to down play the danger or significance of the event, I was there this past weekend and know Kent. It sucks 1000% that his car is totaled and I am very glad he was not seriously hurt, but I do honestly feel that it was just a mistake and not intentional. I know it seems clear (at least to me) that the #73 car is at fault, but in the heat of the moment a mistake was made. The driver has apologized profusely, hopefully he and others will learn from this and move on.

What bothers me more is when far more experienced drivers make contact with cars intentionally.. but that is another topic all together.
  • William Keeling likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

One thing I think we need to all keep in mind here is this is amateur racing and we make mistakes, that's why we aren't pro's (and even they make mistakes). I am not trying to down play the danger or significance of the event, I was there this past weekend and know Kent. It sucks 1000% that his car is totaled and I am very glad he was not seriously hurt, but I do honestly feel that it was just a mistake and not intentional. I know it seems clear (at least to me) that the #73 car is at fault, but in the heat of the moment a mistake was made. The driver has apologized profusely, hopefully he and others will learn from this and move on.

What bothers me more is when far more experienced drivers make contact with cars intentionally.. but that is another topic all together.

I agree with the above that it was a mistake-that's part of the deal with our sport. I know I've done the same where I think I'm clear of the car that I think I've passed and moved over a bit. Probably pissed some people off. In fact- I'm pretty sure I did this to Kent one time myself in T1 at TWS and we "talked" about it. I've had the same done to me. It happens.
I met Matthew while he was trying to sort out his car after stuffing it into the tires in T9 on Saturday and offered to help him straighten things out (See my previous post about going off in the wrong place). If he said it was a mistake I'd be inclined to believe him. It really does not matter what we think as Frank pointed out. The fact that Kent has moved on says a lot.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I just want to point out that besides Kents crash, most had a great weekend at one of my favorite tracks to drive. While watching yet ANOTHER race.. I saw a hell of a race from second to 6th, multiple passes lap after lap. The fierce racing allowed Craig to drive one of the best races I have seen at Hallett. For a minute I thought it was the blue and silver 74 car going around the track :sorry: ( I have witnessed that far too many times from second place :) Craig didn't seem to put a wheel wrong. I watched from the bitch and he was flying through there, hitting the same marks each time through, which is an accomplishment within itself. With p2-6 battling, Craig opened up an eight second lead and then lost third gear with two to go. He limped it home for the win. Pretty impressive. Once you break through with your first, they seem to start clicking off. Good seeing everyone. Again, my apologies to Chris for the wheel to wheel contact.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Did the steering wheel snap off at impact? I looks like it's loose in your hands while you're getting tossed about.

Glad you're OK Kent. That was a wallop.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Number:91

Did the steering wheel snap off at impact? I looks like it's loose in your hands while you're getting tossed about.

Glad you're OK Kent. That was a wallop.

The shaft broke off about 10mm from the weld for the hub adapter. I'm glad it did. Probably saved me from injury since I'm too @#%&&%!!# dumb to take my hands off the wheel.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11
Kent deserved it – its carma – about a month ago he began planning his dark side build. His poor little 1.6 knew it and committed suicide by jumping into that tire wall :)
  • Jim Drago and Michael Colangelo like this

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Kent deserved it – its carma – about a month ago he began planning his dark side build. His poor little 1.6 knew it and committed suicide by jumping into that tire wall :)

You're next. Don't deny your destiny.
  • tLinder likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Luke.. I am your father!! Come my son!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Amazing how many times this scenario seems to happen...straightaway( with no corners or braking in play)and tires touch. One car always gets tossed and goes off or is forced into the 2nd car and they both tumble.

No doubt that was a thump Kent...glad to hear only minor soreness and a move toward the dark side :D

Major major kudos for a public apology acceptance for what was no doubt a sincere apology...when we act like men life moves forward and things that are truly important become much clearer :thumbsup:
  • Jim Drago likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22
Sat Qual
1. Berry 1:29.962
2. Clements 1:30.098
3. Drago 1:30.182
4. Haldeman 1:30.330
5. Asselta 1:30.497

Saturday morning in the pre dawn hours the track received several inches of rain. The track’s crew and SCCA volunteers did an incredible job of getting the track ready for qualifying and the first run group hit the track about 20 minutes behind schedule. A large section of tire wall was washed down a hill from the downpour, so getting the track ready with only a 20 minute delay was heroic.

I have never been to Hallett so I entered in two classes STL and SM, the discount for the second entry was too good to pass up. I struggled with many of the turn in points during Friday’s practice and spent more time plowing the fields than I have in a long time. Part of the lesson was the same one I keep forgetting, practice on what you will race on, good tires go a long way to good lines. STL qualifying was on a damp but drying track so I went out about 10 minutes late and turned laps until the checker flew, to my surprise I was on pole for the STL race. (More plowing meant I finished DFL).

Saturday’s SM Race was a split start with SSB and SSC taking the second green behind us. At the green flag Clements crossed the stating first but was on the outside heading to turn 1 and dropped a couple of tires at the exit and was shuffled back to 7th by turn 2. Lap one finished up cleanly with Berry, Drago, Haldeman, Asselta, Ross, Reynolds Clements and Polland all in the lead group. Reynolds passed Ross going into 2 on the second lap and Clements moved up to 6th on lap 3 passing Ross on the inside going to 3. Reynolds and Clements got by Asselta on lap 7 when Asselta’s car was damaged by contact in turn 10. Asselta looked like a crab going down the front straight to turn 1 but kept his foot in it for 17 more laps and managed a 7th place finish. Through 11 laps the top 7 were Berry, Drago, Haldeman, Reynolds, Clements, Ross, and Asselta. Lap 12 brought on some passing as Clements hooked a tire at the exit of 5 and went for a ride to the inside of 6. Two laps later Polland got past Asselta into 6th. All the positions held through lap 18 when Clements got back by Polland then, by Ross on the next lap. Polland also passed Ross on lap 19. (Ross’ car was wicked loose; see comment about good tires, 9 heat cycles is too much). Polland and Clements ran nose to tail and multiple passes were attempted for the next several laps with Polland getting by Clements on lap 23. With 2 to go, lapped traffic played a role in the outcome. As Berry and Drago where cruising around with a comfortable lead Haldeman was stalking and pounced as the leaders caught lapped traffic in the “Bitch”. Haldeman tried a pass at the inside of 10 and caught Drago off guard as he turned down into Haldeman on his normal line. Both cars were damaged. Drago’s left rear wheel was broke and Haldeman’s right front was broken on impact. Haldeman flew several feet in air landing and blowing third gear to pieces. Wanting to finish the race he yanked the shifter into 4th and kept going. Reynolds passed Haldeman for second on the last lap. Drago could only make it to turn 2 before he had to retire.

Top 5 finishing order:

Berry
Reynolds
Haldeman
Polland
Clements
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
What a great weekend! Finally everything came together! Besides Jim having another rough patch of bad luck, the weekend was fun. 2 poles and 2 wins against an incredible group of drivers. Spec Miata is such a tough class.... It makes you feel good when you are fortunate enough to have things go well.
I want to Thank Drago for an incredible car this year (3rd is our worst finish), as well as great track notes, and amazing set up changes. Thanks to Robert Lloyd for all the hard work and great decisions. Thanks to my Dad for a lifetime of support. Thanks to my teammate Pat Sandlin for driving advice as well as how fun he makes the races.

Kent, I'm very sorry about what happened to you, and hope you get another car together soon.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22
Craig,

Didn't realize those were your first national wins. What great drives you had, especially Sunday when nobody had anything for you before or after the restart. What a great season you are having!!
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

EPrill

EPrill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Kansas
  • Car Number:7
Realize this is largely a SM thread, but I know that several of you ran in STL.

Sam Henry and I had a spirited battle through traffic on Sunday until my transmission stuck in top gear. It was quite entertaining. Thank you all for being cognizant of us coming through and I hope we didn't muck up anyone's race too badly.

My view:

Sam's view: http://www.borismedia.com/SCCA/Track-Day-Videos/10787698_rL9VT6#!i=1801306179&k=322qvfG

Eric Prill

1990 Mazda Miata - F Production

MaxtonsFight.org/Jesse Prather Motorsports/Hoosier

Runoffs Podium: 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Runoffs Pole: 2008, 2012, 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users