Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
Thanks to Jim Drago and Mike Collins for their advice and assistance in finding a great new (slightly used) car to drive this season. And thanks to Ben Jacobs who sold me his SM.

After making the usual adjustments to ride height, crossweight, and seat adjustment, the car was raring to run. We are running at NOLA (New Orleans, LA) this weekend on a fast track of 2.75 miles. The weather has co-operated and not rained on us while racing. A slightly wet track yesterday dried out quickly.

There are about 16 turns in this configuration, which includes slow-speed and high-speed curves. I hit 5 gear and 105+ on the front straight, which is pretty long, but they have another 1/4 mile to open up when the time comes. On the short configured track, a Porshce GT3 Cup car hits 156 mph.

The weather here is mild, and it should be a great winter-time track due to the milder weather South of Lake Ponchartrain (which serves as a warming source from the north winds of winter).

Our next race is May 4 & 5, with the 3rd as a lapping/trial day. You owe it to yourself to race this world-class track, which will soon be more than 5 miles long, the longest in North America! Even the food is good at the concession stand, prepared by a bonafide chef! You just can't best Louisiana cuisine. See you at the track?

Edit April 4th: here are a few laps at NOLA in the new SM. Pardon my driving on this new configuration of the track (2.75 miles around), but I am studying videos of my own and others, and figured out the line much better. You'll see my line improve a little after the yellow Porsche passes me. Still more to go, but fun learning!
  • Alberto likes this

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Got any video from that track?
Seems like a great track and I would like some Louisiana cuisine.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yes, go to "NOLA Region" NASA forum, under "cars" and look at John Crosby's Porsche GT3 go through the short course (1.8 miles) in rapid succession. Fun video for fullrace car! I'll try to post a video later and will send you a link.

At this time NOLA is both a track AND a Region for NASA, but someday might merge with Texas Region or some other region. The facilities here are very nice, though incomplete and in-progress right now, and the track is one of the best anywhere, though I also like TWS, Barber, Road Atlanta and MSR Houston a lot.

Edit: here's a short video of one of the main races at NOLA so you'll get a view of the track. Please ignore the sloppy driving this first weekend racing there!

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Thanks to Jim Drago and Mike Collins for their advice and assistance in finding a great new (slightly used) car to drive this season. And thanks to Ben Jacobs who sold me his SM.

After making the usual adjustments to ride height, crossweight, and seat adjustment, the car was raring to run. We are running at NOLA (New Orleans, LA) this weekend on a fast track of 2.75 miles. The weather has co-operated and not rained on us while racing. A slightly wet track yesterday dried out quickly.

There are about 16 turns in this configuration, which includes slow-speed and high-speed curves. I hit 5 gear and 105+ on the front straight, which is pretty long, but they have another 1/4 mile to open up when the time comes. On the short configured track, a Porshce GT3 hits 165 mph.

The weather here is mild, and it should be a great winter-time track due to the milder weather South of Lake Ponchartrain (which serves as a warming source from the north winds of winter).

Our next race is May 4 & 5, with the 3rd as a lapping/trial day. You owe it to yourself to race this world-class track, which will soon be more than 5 miles long, the longest in North America! Even the food is good at the concession stand, prepared by a bonafide chef! You just can't best Louisiana cuisine. See you at the track?

Ben's car is one of the cleanest cars ever built maybe better that the Steinmobiles! Congrats on the purchase!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
No offense to Danny. But this car may be the best damn spec miata ever!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Glad it all worked out for you! Good luck with the car
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks, guys. The car is easily the nicest SM I've owned, and it pulls hard through the revs and handles as it should. I need to add some of Mike Puskar's Carbotech brake pads to make it the best it can be! I do love this car, and hope I can improve enough to reach its potential.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

No offense to Danny. But this car may be the best damn spec miata ever!

Hard to imagine. :unsure:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Hard to imagine. :unsure:

This SM was built for a very distinguished customer. It has EVERYTHING! and then some!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

This SM was built for a very distinguished customer. It has EVERYTHING! and then some!

+100000

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users