Photo

Recommendations for wheels and steering wheel.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

bones240z

bones240z

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:SFR SCCA
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:51

Has anyone experienced more hub failures at 30mm offset vs. 25mm offset?

Taylor Vance

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think hub failures have increased with extra grip of the Hoosier, but the offset has not had much to do with it.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I think hub failures have increased with extra grip of the Hoosier, but the offset has not had much to do with it.
Jim

Agreed

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

I don't think anybody monitors hub failures by offset in Spec Miata, so it's difficult to say.  Mazda Miata suspension was build around offset of 45/40 (offset is selected at the factory based on the type of bearing/hub you're running in order to distribute the load evenly across that very bearing).  We reduce the offset to 25 for racing. 

In general, it is true, the smaller the offset the greater the load (at an angle) on the bearing.  In reality though, the difference is very small, and much smaller in motorsports as comparing to grip in tires and etc.  Maybe some college student should calculate for us the loads based on tire/offset combination.

Having said that I still believe the failures we are seeing are due to improper bearing installation (incorrect repacking, over torquing the hub nut, over torquing the wheel nuts, etc). 

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Having said that I still believe the failures we are seeing are due to improper bearing installation (incorrect repacking, over torquing the hub nut, over torquing the wheel nuts, etc). 

...and what are your recommendations to prevent such failures.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I ran the same set of hubs on Mine, Sandlins and Berrys cars all year, They were installed for last years Runoffs. Doing the same now. One of mine has very little play, the other five have no issues at all. We run about as much as anyone IMO

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

And what percentage of hub failures do you attribute to the cheap manufacturing process used for these hubs/outer races? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

...and what are your recommendations to prevent such failures.

Common sense.

And what percentage of hub failures do you attribute to the cheap manufacturing process used for these hubs/outer races?

I don't know, hard to say.  We all knock on cheap manufacturing process without sending out damaged bearings for proper analysis. 

Bearings I've damaged when opened up turned out to be my fault.

The riddle is: some can go for years on the same bearings that others do damage in one weekend.  

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

We all knock on cheap manufacturing process without sending out damaged bearings for proper analysis. 

There is only one thing that may be said about inductioning hardening outer bearing races within an economy hub, CHEAP. And not originally ment for racing.

The riddle is: some can go for years on the same bearings that others do damage in one weekend.  

If one looks at the front Miata hubs as anything other than a perishable item their looking for an issue. One weekend bearings are most likely self inflicted.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

To clarify...front hub/bearing is a single assembly. Different factors going on here with potential for different types of failures. I'm going to guess the bearing justs get sloppy most often. Anyone seen the hub separate into 2 pieces?

Rears...the hub presses into the bearing which is pressed into the knuckle. Hub, bearing, knuckle...3 separate items. I guess you also need to include the axle in this equation!

Bearing failure...seen this!

Hub failure...seen this!

Knuckle failure...never seen

axle failure...seen this(sheared off at the nut.)

Many warned of the extra stress the R-compound was going to have on these parts! Is this what a lot of you fast guys are experiencing?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I can only offer anecdotal input.  I've used the same left front bearing for 20 weekends that usually include a test day and the Majors this year have generally been 4 day events.  The right front 1 year roughly 10 weekends.  I clean and repack the front bearings about every 3-4 weekends.  All this has been on Hoosiers.  I used to do the rears once a year but now I just go until failure.  No rear failures this year.

I also have removed the metal seal on the new bearings when the rubber seal underneath it starts coming apart.  I replace it with the old style rubber seals that Advanced sells.  So far I have had good luck and no issues doing this.  It just extends the life of an otherwise good bearing.  

I only used the Toyo's for one year. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

To clarify...front hub/bearing is a single assembly.

Different factors going on here with potential for different types of failures. I'm going to guess the bearing justs get sloppy most often.

Anyone seen the hub separate into 2 pieces?

Thanks for the clarification, would have never known without your input. :rolleyes:

So if the "bearing gets sloppy", you words. Is it the inner race, the outer race or the balls. With my minimal experiance compared to prep shops I have never viewed an inner race failure. I have never measure the balls after a bearing failure.

I have viewed the inductioned hardened material of the outer race peal away from the parent material. 

Side note for those taking notes:   :bigsquaregrin:

With production calss cars they typically use 30mm offset wheels along with 3/4 to 1 inch width extender spacers. Don't know the comparable hub filaure rate to the Spec Miata. At Fridays Road America test day with a production class car we had a front hub that was only three race weekends from new show the start of failure. We changed it before failure. It was torqued to approx OEM spec, had a slight bit of top to bottom movement and could feel a slight roughness at slow hand rotate/feel. 

The prep shops have plenty of data. The stay out of these on line pi$$ing matches.  :yep:

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

David...clarification was for those who maybe are new and learning. You and I both know if someone says "hub" failure...this can be different things entirely. How did this thread go form steering wheels to race failure??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Most all failures we see are the outer race. 

• Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

David...

How did this thread go form steering wheels to race failure??

:uhwhat:  Tangent>>>>>>>>>>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users