Photo

July 13 - 15 Super Tour PIR -- SM gets own race group!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jim Weidenbaum

Jim Weidenbaum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
July 13 - 15 Oregon Region hosts one of the SCCA BF Goodrich Super Tour Double National Races. There was significant pressure to have SM race with Group 6 (Showroom Stock, small bore production, and T2/T3). I remember prior seasons (last year?) when the SSB cars -- even good guys like Eddie Nakato -- got caught up in SM races. The race start was the biggest issue as SSB Mustangs (and Civis Si's) all blew past SM's into the first turn -- before putting out their anchors. That's nothing against those drivers -- it's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, Spec Miata will be an exclusive class in Group 1 at our July 13 -15 Double National Super Tour Race. This is great news, so we really want to have a big SM field. The Super Tour races have drawn several hundred cars across all SCCA classes at other venues -- so, there should be terrific competition. For those of you friendly (or friendly rivals) with NorCal and SoCal racers ... put out the word that you'd love to have them come up to PIR for the Super Tour race. This race, along with the Super Tour race at Buttonwillow, should be the ultimate West Coast showdown. As PNW drivers rarely make the long tow to the Runoffs or June Sprints -- this is our BIG National race (Rose Cup being our biggest Regional of them all).

Thanks!
Jim

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3
Jim,

If I am available I am in. The mixed cars are challenging but also a bit hairy at times. On another note I wanted to complement you on the job you are doing. We do need to look outside the box and promote ourselves to a larger audience. Wouldn't it be amazing if we actually had spectators other than our family members? What we do is really cool but we need a broader appeal (drifting, IT-J, car show girls) to get those potential participants out there to see us.

Now if you could just figure out how to get those fans to pay admission maybe we could ease up on entry fees! I hear wet t-shirt contests on cold days are pretty popular. I'm sure Randy and Robert would pay to see that one. The rest of us guys would have to sneak a look between the fence boards and hope we were not caught by our wives.

Seriously, I do like the direction and feel broader inclusion is very important to the continuance of our sport's success.

Terrell

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

...wet t-shirt contests on cold days...

So what you're saying is all Oregon races should be held in March? ;)
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Weidenbaum

Jim Weidenbaum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
I appreciate the kind words of support Terrell.

Thus far, the SCCA Super Tour 2X National events have been a genuine success at other venues. Yes, the early Super Tour events were warm weather climes, during a time that other parts of the country were cold/wet. But, we'll be holding our Super Tour race when a good deal of the rest of the country is sweltering, managing cool suits, and trying to avoid heatstroke.

Having this Oregon Region hosted Super Tour 2X National, with Race Group 1 being dedicated to Spec Miata only, is a big deal. We need a large SM field -- certainly from PNW, but also pulling from NorCal and some of the near Mountain states as well. Given that most SM racers out here don't make the tow to the Runoffs or June Sprints, these Super Tour races (one here and one in SoCal) should be the biggest & best competition of the year. I hope as many as you can & will make the race.

We haven't resorted to "Girls! Girls! Girls!" New Orleans Bourbon Street barkers ... yet. Of course, don't want rule out a Starz-Dophin II-Mary's Club Presents Spec Miata event ;-)

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users