- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Benjamin Rapoza

Benjamin Rapoza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a 1990 Miata with 15x7 30mm offset wheels and I am fully stock on everything. do i need to roll my fenders? or normally should it be fine?

Also I hit a Pothole last night and not my steering is cocked to the right and doesnt vibrate does any one know what that may be?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I have a 1992. I rolled my fenders. I don't think I could have gotten away with NOT rolling.

Pothole: you probably bent something...probably a tie-rod. Check your toe with the steering wheel straight.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
With those wheels you'll rub unless you have a ton of camber. Hitting the pothole could also have allowed one of your camber bolts to move throwing the toe way off.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
You will also have to remove the plastic fender liners up front ...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Benjamin Rapoza

Benjamin Rapoza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks guys i appreciate the help i know this is a newbie question but how can i check the toe?

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
With your steering wheel dead straight, you can create a parallel box around your car with 2 pieces of string by measuring the distance from the strings to the hubs. Best to search "string box" rather than me explaining it in detail. With a parallel box around your car, you measure the front and rear most parts of the rim compared to the parallel lines to see if the wheels are pointed in or out. That will give you a precise answer to how much toe each wheel has. If your steering wheel is actually off however, it's a big enough thing that you should be able to see it with the naked eye by sighting along each wheel and seeing where it points. The front wheels are wider than the rear, but if you put a long socket on a rear lug nut, it should stick out farther than the front wheels and give you a reference point to sight at. Put your eyeball down at wheel level and see where each one points compared to that fixed distance in the back and you can see if they're pointing at the same place.

You can tell if your tie rod is bent pretty easily. Loosen the lock nut and mark the tie rod with nail polish or something so you can return it back to where it was. Then take a wrench and turn the tie rod. If it's bent, you'll see it wobble up and down as it rotates. To diagnose it more, you need to be on a really level surface and the ability to measure camber and toe or take it to someone that can.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
bent inner tierod
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

You will also have to remove the plastic fender liners up front ...

Should not have to. Most guys here use them, and Sebring's pretty rough. On my car (Team Dynamics 1.2/RA-1's; max legal track), I needed only to bend the tabs up (where the inner liners attach) to keep the tires from hitting.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users