Photo

1.6 Rev limiter observation and some questions.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97

Our stock tach reads about 7400 at the rev limiter in a 95(which is actually at 6900 at the rev limiter). Post up the video in question and see if the vultures start circling...unless of course it's your pit mate and you want food or not at the next event :D

Dave is spot on. You would not be able to detect a raised rev limiter by lap times however at some tracks is does allow a driver to shift in a straight line which results in fewer missed shifts which can help. We see raised rev limiters pretty often and really it does not make any difference.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

3. Unless some pretty illegal head work and cams have been done, raising the revlimiter will not make the car faster. You are so far above the torque curve, of a legal engine, that this will slow you down.

Not legal in SM but pretty standard for what we've been doing in karts and stock cars. The ability to raise the limit, as you note, gives the freedom to do mods which would otherwise not be possible. Legality is a class specific thing. As for my comments on the Francis car and the rev limiter, my question isn't so much is the tach off is that has something been done to necessitate the modification of the RPM band.

From what I've seen in the tech lines/barns I've either push through or at times volunteered, it's the things like that the inspectors look at to see if there are any deeper mods that might not conform to the class. For example, some of the Bullring hobby stocks re profiled early GM truck cams then used "claimer" parts (stock car speak for cheater parts that look OEM) particularly on the HEI for significant gains over stock. But, how they tell now is they do a vacuum test at a speced RPM and if it fails that, parts start coming off.

A good deal of the time it's some of the little stuff that is evidence of greater malfeasance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users