Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Here are four laps cut from the 2012 VIR Double National race held in soaking wet conditions. The first three laps are non-consecutive.

The new Hoosier H20's, while offering incredible grip in the wet, also throw up way more spray than the Toyos and make driving behind someone else a really scary affair as you are driving totally blind. I ran off the track several times unable to see where the track was, and this actually happened twice on the straights! I also went off a couple of times all on my own!

Almost everyone of the front drivers had an off-track excursion. I have a huge off at South Bend as you will see in the 4th lap (9:25 on the video), and was very lucky to continue. I watched Buras go off in T4, Brown and Charbonneau went off in South Bend, Voytek went off permanently in T11, and Tisseront permanently in the uphill esses.

On lap 3 following Leverone through the uphill esses we pass Pax Lemmon who I never saw until I was passed him. (6:45 on the video)Thankfully I wasn't a car width off to the left or it would have been ugly.

I suggest clicking through to watch in full screen in YouTube. (Tried a new video codec but not sure if its any better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjuUejhtyVs

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
For me, :no: :no: :no:

Are the Hoosier wets very predictable to a point then the rain gods take over?

The question comes from WATCHING several wet drives.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12
It would be nice if VIR could smooth out the ground on the outside of Southbend some. That would probably save a few major offs. They should just add pavement runoffs there like in F1 and watch us go flat through southbend. :-)
Those were some pretty intense laps. I was on the edge of my seat!

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

It would be nice if VIR could smooth out the ground on the outside of Southbend some. That would probably save a few major offs. They should just add pavement runoffs there like in F1 and watch us go flat through southbend. :-)
Those were some pretty intense laps. I was on the edge of my seat!

You just can't fight it when you go off there, it gets worse when you try to save it, but I agree, its a pucker factor of 9.5 if you drop a wheel.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56
My in car of the last few laps.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Great drive Todd, and Voytek. There to almost the end - one mistake and its over

Thanks for posting your video Todd. It goes a long way to illustrate my letter to the stewards. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
For me, :no: :no: :no:

Fantastic SAVE at approx 6:20 :thumbsup:

Unfortunately Voytec keep waving the white flag untill the he went to play with the :fisheszzz:

Nice drive by both of you :thumbsup:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Wow Danny, real lucky with that off. And with the blue miata.

That weather isn't even good for duck hunting. Good job out there.

Did you have a tire rub on the opening lap? Trying to place that noise.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

My in car of the last few laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN6hkjn4Kfg&feature=youtu.be

Just noticed you posted this. Thanks for editing out all the profanity as you come back on after I got in your way. :)

I just can't believe the speed you guys maintain with no vision. Awesome. And what the hell with those safety vehicles??? Freaky!
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users