Photo

How do Hoosier SM6s work at Pacific Raceways?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PedalFaster

PedalFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:86
After a hiatus from road racing of nearly two years, I'm planning to run the Conference race at Pacific Raceways on May 20th. I've burned off or sold all of my tires except for a set of four year-old RA1s that were originally my rains, so I'm thinking I should pick up a new set for the race.

I'm wondering -- has anyone tested the Hoosier SM6s at Pacific Raceways yet? If so, have they proven to be any faster? How do they fare on Pacific's cheese grater surface? How many Conference drivers have made the switch from the Toyos to the Hoosiers?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Good question, Steve. I've been wondering the same thing myself and may switch to SM6 Ho-Hos for my non-Miata. :duck:

You might want to ask this on the Conference forums.

See you there in Group 2!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Consensus seems to be that the Hoosiers are a bit faster in a '99, but equal times in a 1.6 on Toyo's....Considering price and heat cycle life, Toyo seems best all around in a 1.6 At least that's the scoop from PIR that I heard directly from a very qualified driver.

Will be good to see you Stephen...please make sure you bring your camera! I miss your videos....

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Shave those RA-1s to 3/32 and I bet they're faster than hoosiers.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

PedalFaster

PedalFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:86
Thanks all for the feedback! :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
If there be rain in the forecast get the H2O's. Way better than RA-1's in the rain.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Where do you guys buy your SM6s around here?

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3
With my crappy driving style of smashing the corners the hosers don't work well for me. I think with a good driver it doesn't matter. Either tire will reward smooth.

Garth with A-n-T here at home in Portland is my tire guy. He's the guy who is there at the track at every race helping us out, not the unknown faceless person on the internet. BUY LOCAL!

Ok Bruce, your allowable recovery time is over and we are already tired of your armchair quarterbacking. When are they going to allow your out there so you can leave me behind for the 1XXX time?

Terrell

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
I've heard one of the requirements for passing the physical will be a stress test and I'm having one of those Monday. I'm just preparing for one race at a time, just like always!

-bw

P.S. that advice was for Pacific Only. I'm still thinking Toyos could be better at Portland without chicane and Hoosiers might be better with chicane. Not sure anyone knows yet.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users