Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71
I knew I had one more question when I was on last night. Ageing deficiency I guess.

How much can the steering wheel shaft be lowered without affecting the geometry and steering if any?

Thanks
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
I don't have the answer, but I'm also very interested to see what others know. I have an LS1 miata where we changed the angle of the shaft a fair amount. I've been struggling with very heavy steering with the car - tried different steering rack, greatly decreased caster, smaller tires, etc. Still super heavy. This car has a custom subframe to mount the LS1, so that could be an issue, but I've always suspected the steering shaft angle could contribute.

FWIW - I've driven other LS1 cars that don't have heavy steering, so don't say "it's the weight". :)

Looking forward to some input from the crowd.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I knew I had one more question when I was on last night. Ageing deficiency I guess.

How much can the steering wheel shaft be lowered without affecting the geometry and steering if any?

Thanks

Are you trying to lower the steering wheel position in the car?

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes, we'd like to lower the steering wheel. Already have a smaller steering wheel.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Why would the steering shaft angle make the steering heavy, Dean? Unless the angle is so great that the U-joint starts to bind up (which seems unlikely), the angle of the shaft has no effect whatever on the steering geometry. BTW, if the U-joint does start to bind, I would expect it to happen only at particular wheel positions. That doesn't seem to be what you're describing.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Yes, we'd like to lower the steering wheel. Already have a smaller steering wheel.

Ah. That's what I thought.
How far are you looking to lower it?

That won't have any affect on steering geometry. What affects steering geometry is the position of the rack on the subframe relative to the expected position of the tie rods on the spindles.

I've been looking at lowering mine also sit it is higher than I normally prefer. I'm running a Momo hub on my NRG Quick Disconnect and this positions the wheel 1-2" closer to me but in doing so raises the wheel position slightly higher. Gotta love geometrey. :)

The bolts that secure the steering column to the dash bar are pretty long iirc. I had thought of experimenting by using some washers to shim it down a 1/4" and see how I liked it but never got around to it.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
It's not legal for SM is it? Obviously Dean is a little bit outside SM, ITA or STU with his LS1 but for others I'd be sure you can before you do.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Years ago with My 1990 I had a similar Heavy steering as Dean describes. I could not figure it out and anyone that drove my car or even reached inside noticed the wheel was difficult to turn.
But one day It was raining quite heavy and I disconnected the sway bars and ran the session. At some point I noticed how light the steering felt and thought it had something to do with the increase body sway. But the next day I had the swaybars hooked up and ran in dry as I always do but the steering was now light. I changed nothing.Problem solved itself.

I have no idea what happened, I installed the endlinks back without any adjustment
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Yes you can lower the steering column. You need some washers or spacers and longer 12mm bolts. Take the two 12mm bolts out, put longer ones in with spacers or washers and you are fixed. Yes it is that easy and yes, lots of SM cars have dome this.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
A small-ish change in tire pressures can make a big change in steering feel sometimes.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91

It's not legal for SM is it? Obviously Dean is a little bit outside SM, ITA or STU with his LS1 but for others I'd be sure you can before you do.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the GCR:
b. Any steering wheel, except wood rimmed types, and its required mounting modifications may be used. Any shift knob may be used.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

s. Miscellaneous

1. The use of the following non-standard replacement parts is permitted provided the use does not result in any unauthorized modification of any other component.

a. Fasteners – nuts, bolts, screws, washers, studs, etc. (Head bolts, rod bolts, flywheel bolts, and crank pulley bolt must be used as provided by Mazda.)

That makes it legal in my book......

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
SCCA GCR

Authorized Modifications

C. No components may be added or omited from those specificed by published factoty service procedures.

Please choose your choice of legality.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

C. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS

The following items represent the only modifications and safety items permitted and/or required on Spec Miata automobiles:

S falls after C in the SMCS section and is therefore a "following item" and therefore allows replacement of hardware and I would then argue legal.

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

SCCA GCR

Authorized Modifications

C. No components may be added or omited from those specificed by published factoty service procedures.

Please choose your choice of legality.

You also forgot the sentence before your posted area:

Assembly, rebuild, and refurbishment procedures, and all associated dimensions must adhere to the published factory service procedures, except as otherwise stated in these rules. No components may be added or omitted from those specified by the published factory service proce- dures. All components must be standard dimensions.

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
As was stated in my previous post. "Please choose your choice of legality.

Some time back there was agreement on this site that inserting flat washers/shims/spacers under the anti roll bar bushing hangers was not legal. Anti roll bar bushing hangers/steering column braket washer/spacers, same church different pew.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Dude.......You...... Are......Killin'.........Me........... :rolleyes:

How is lowering your steering column the same as using washers to enhance the performance of the sway bar? What performance advantage is gained by lowering the column? Are you getting beat because the guy lowered his column?
  • Jim Drago likes this

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
After thoughtful consideration and review I've decided to lower the right side and of the shaft and keep the left side in the stock position. Doing so will serve my intent for the steering shaft as well as allow a middle ground resolution for the varying rule interpretations? :whistling:

Seriously. Thank you for all the responses and insight.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Seriously. Thank you for all the responses and insight.

Jim, I have lowered my steering column. The point of my posts was what I understand the intent of the rules to be. Now the word "intent" should set off another round of BS.

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
David,

I always find your post insightful and thoughtful. Perhaps it comes with aging and yes, I am in the upper catagory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users