Photo

Double dipping in FIP instead of ITA in Conference races?!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

PedalFaster

PedalFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:86
As threatened earlier, I just signed up for the IRDC race this weekend. I was planning to sign up for SM and ITA, but when I looked at who else had registered already, I noticed that all but one of the SM Miatas were signed up in FIP, not ITA. I followed the herd and signed up for FIP as well, but I'm puzzled -- isn't FIP a higher prep class than ITA? I obviously haven't been following the Conference scene or rule changes -- is there some reason why everyone double dips in FIP now?

Thanks!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

PedalFaster

PedalFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
...and, if FIP's the place to be, are we allowed to remove our restrictors and ballast as long as we meet FIP's minimum weight (which corresponds to the SCCA's EP or FP minimum weight, right)?

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
As a Conference ITA racer, I can assure you that you will be allowed to run your SM in ITA without any issue. There was a big discussion on the ICSCC forums last year about this very topic and not one ITA driver expressed a desire to not have SMs in ITA. We love you guys!

This goes back to the SCCA's stupid decision last year to push the SMs out of ITA. It's been proven here and in other regions that a legal SM is a competitive car in ITA and certainly not an overdog. Last year's ICSCC ITA champ drove a CRX. The previous year's ICSCC ITA champ was Mike Tripp in his Spec Miata.

Long story short: Run your SM in ITA!
  • Lightw8 likes this

PedalFaster

PedalFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think you're overselling the competitiveness of a legal SM in ITA, plus Mike Tripp's registered in FIP. :) Having said that, I think I'm sold on running ITA. The minimum weight of a '95 Miata in SM trim (2350 lbs.) is actually less than the same car in ITA trim (2380 lbs.) -- is it legal for me to run the SM weight as long as I run all the other SM accoutrements (restrictor, heavy wheels, etc.)?

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Steve, I think you'll be fine as long as you run it in SM trim. It's more of a "gentleman's agreement" type of thing in Conference. Look forward to seeing you out there!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

I think you're overselling the competitiveness of a legal SM in ITA, plus Mike Tripp's registered in FIP. :)

Well, obviously, Mike Tripp heard that my car now has a new header, new clutch, and a new Hello Kitty sticker on the right rear quarter panel. Clearly, he is now afraid of getting beat by not one but two CRXes. :pimp:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users