TheOiler

TheOiler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:101
Gentlemen,

I am new to the site and this is my first post however, I been browsing it while building my SSM and let’s say it has been nothing but an enjoyable experience. With that being said I have few questions. My SSM which I am planning on racing in few years currently has no SCCA log book and I would like to get my hands on one for her. The reason being is I instruct for various schools and they will require me to present a log book for my SSM. My question is do I need the following on my SSM to obtain SCCA log book:

1- Kill Switch
2- Driver side (inside net) I don’t have a halo seat
3- My seat is expired; does the seat brace needs to be bolted at the back of the seat or just setting against it?
4- Sealed SSM motor?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Gentlemen,

I am new to the site and this is my first post however, I been browsing it while building my SSM and let’s say it has been nothing but an enjoyable experience. With that being said I have few questions. My SSM which I am planning on racing in few years currently has no SCCA log book and I would like to get my hands on one for her. The reason being is I instruct for various schools and they will require me to present a log book for my SSM. My question is do I need the following on my SSM to obtain SCCA log book:

1- Kill Switch
2- Driver side (inside net) I don’t have a halo seat
3- My seat is expired; does the seat brace needs to be bolted at the back of the seat or just setting against it?
4- Sealed SSM motor?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Short answer the car must be rules compliant to get the log book and Annual tech which will also be required to race. No the SSM motor will not need sealed to get the log book. I'm sure Mike Collins can add more when he gets time.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Short answer the car must be rules compliant to get the log book and Annual tech which will also be required to race. No the SSM motor will not need sealed to get the log book. I'm sure Mike Collins can add more when he gets time.

SAFETY rules, not class rules are required for your log book. That's what I was told at least when I got mine but was not class legal yet.

Kill switch yes and they should test that it actually works.
Window net yes.
The back brace should provide lateral support so just leaning on it won't fly.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

TheOiler

TheOiler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Number:101
Thank you for the information. I am getting mixed information as I read somewhere in the rule book that Kill Switch for SSM is recommended only. Also, few shops have advised me that SCCA only requires the seat brace to sit against the back of the seat since the Sparco seat is not designed to be drilled through.

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
You don't need a kill switch for ssm, but it is highly recommended
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
Your best bet is to go to your region's web site and find the contact person/people that do tech for annual inspections and issue log books. Ask your questions directly to them and get the answers straight from the horse's mouth.

Here in SFR, my Miata was thoroughly checked for:
- all safety equipment: cage (drill holes to check for tubing legality), seat, harnesses, window net, sfi padding, kill switch, fire extinguisher, rear bulk head sealed
- tow hooks
- decals for scca, tow, fire ext and kill switch (maybe class too but I can't remember)
- no leaks from engine, trans, diff
- tight wheel bearings
- no loose crap in the engine bay
- no junk in the trunk
- battery tie down
- ignition switch lock removal
- I think they looked for fuel port tester but can't remember now

i still had the stock exhaust and intake at the time I got my first annual and log book so you don't need to be fully prepped for the class rules from that perspective.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
9.3.23.B.4 "The CircleE decal shall not appear on cars which have only a hand-held fire extinguisher."

If you should not have that decal unless you have an on-board fire system.

wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users