Photo

Drivers only section

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we need a drivers only section? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think we need a drivers only section?

1. yes (16 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. no (36 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

Do we sort by registered drivers or "x" of posts or more to enter?

1. registered drivers (34 votes [65.38%])

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

2. number of posts (18 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
The old SM site had a drivers only section. It was a great idea, but over time people stopped posting in there and posted in general forums instead?

What do you think?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Jim I like the idea, I prefer that they have to be registered drivers and I would add that the identity is known. No mystery guests.
FT
  • Glenn likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Example topic?

I'm not sure what could be said in front of the community that is sensitive for outsiders to hear.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40 ;-)

Example topic?

I'm not sure what could be said in front of the community that is sensitive for outsiders to hear.

Danny S made some good points about "scaring off" the new drivers or potentially new drivers with some of the things that get talked about and the way they are discussed.

If we want to keep this class going there needs to be a new bunch coming in each year to replace the few that hang up the helmet and the name calling and very pointed arguments that has occurred in the last few days probably isn't the best way to ensure that.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
On a firearms forum I sponsor/belong to, there is a "member's only" section.

It is used as a place for when things turn political, or anything we don't want exposed to google and guests.

I mean, it's not that hard to set up an account or anything, but it keeps "questionable" things out of the limelight.

As for requiring members to use their real names, I don't know about that. Kind of goes against traditional internet rules. I've always used my real name by my choice. This way people can come find me in the paddock, say hi, and have a cookie.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
I'm with Rob (and said the same thing on the old site). In the particular case that brings this idea up, having a drivers-only section wouldn't keep out the people who perpetually post objectionable material. If they shouldn't post it in public, they shouldn't inflict it on their peers. The solution is to collectively require some minimal level of civility, and to cull out those who won't rise to that level.
  • dstevens, Alberto, Cnj and 1 other like this

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
come on thats not fair you need checks and balances not control if you want to really say that jim can i sell gold and other items in the forum. let it be free and wild no profanity a little nutity and alot of bragging or bosting .

in general more people have come in boost intrest take a poll on that ask all members to vote on other members in or out or probation

start with me i will be the ginni pig no fear here.
  • Glenn likes this
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
my vote we keep von c
  • Alex Bolanos and Michael Colangelo like this
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Danny S made some good points about "scaring off" the new drivers or potentially new drivers with some of the things that get talked about and the way they are discussed.

If we want to keep this class going there needs to be a new bunch coming in each year to replace the few that hang up the helmet and the name calling and very pointed arguments that has occurred in the last few days probably isn't the best way to ensure that.

I've struggled with that myself. A lot of the videos I post on my local forum contain contact or other things that might scare off the new guys. I decided that rather than try to put spin on anything, I'd just do my best to tell it like it is rather than sugar coat it or hide the blemishes. Figured that was the fairest way to do it if people are going to consider committing their time and money to SM.

Transparency instead of a nice facade if you know what I mean. Not saying it's better, just how I decided I wanted to play it.
  • Alberto and Michael Colangelo like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Ghan

Tom Ghan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:NE
I'm a new guy trying to get a start in spec miata, and I find listening in to what experienced drivers have to say is invaluable. I'm a big boy and can filter out or laugh at the small amount of BS posts but don't eliminate a source of info for this noob.

The old SM site had a drivers only section. It was a great idea, but over time people stopped posting in there and posted in general forums instead?

What do you think?

• Alex Bolanos and Michael Colangelo like this

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

I'm a new guy trying to get a start in spec miata, and I find listening in to what experienced drivers have to say is invaluable. I'm a big boy and can filter out or laugh at the small amount of BS posts but don't eliminate a source of info for this noob.

Tom I wont leave you buddie anything you need gold silver car parts or help in philly i agree with you save the whale

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Nutity?? :rotfl: God, that is one of your best AC.

I voted no...but I'm biased because I would be excluded! Though I get and understand why some might want this, not sure if it would achieve its goal...which is? If anyone is going to be scared off by a bunch of grown men yucking it up and occasionally acting like 2 year olds, maybe road racing isn't for them anyways? I continue to enjoy most everything posted and always looking to learn from those that know more(or less!) Pretty sure most new viewers can filter out the non-sense from the good stuff. AC just needs to stay in his corner...or for that matter maybe one state needs to have its own corner...did I say that out loud :hugegrin: Agree with Jim and Rob(and Andrew!)...but as Dan said somebody who just came into this site and saw some of the latest chicanery would be scratching there heads.

Do remember there is the PM format and the Live chat section for more in depth conversations :yep:
  • Alberto, Alex Bolanos and Andrew Charbonneau like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

I've struggled with that myself. A lot of the videos I post on my local forum contain contact or other things that might scare off the new guys. I decided that rather than try to put spin on anything, I'd just do my best to tell it like it is rather than sugar coat it or hide the blemishes. Figured that was the fairest way to do it if people are going to consider committing their time and money to SM.

Transparency over a nice facade if you know what I mean. Not saying it's better, just how I decided I wanted to play it.

i know you vote robbie its ok you can be a hater

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Number:70

I'm with Rob (and said the same thing on the old site). In the particular case that brings this idea up, having a drivers-only section wouldn't keep out the people who perpetually post objectionable material. If they shouldn't post it in public, they shouldn't inflict it on their peers. The solution is to collectively require some minimal level of civility, and to cull out those who won't rise to that level.

I voted no as well, and agree that civility is in order. It is rare when the "whole story" gets vetted on the internet, so someone ends up being a bag holder in every argument. On the other hand, the old "backfire" section would be welcome place to let it fly, if we must.

As evidenced this weekend, if you try to stop a personal argument by locking a thread, or limiting access...then the argument may pop up again in another place. Seems that public attention is exactly what is sought, so maybe an specific arena makes sense.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

Transparency over a nice facade if you know what I mean. Not saying it's better, just how I decided I wanted to play it.

Completely agree, and that's really why I try to keep the site civil. Real races (at least in my area) are very friendly affairs, where even the abrasive sorts somehow manage to be decent people. I'm told (notably without evidence...;)) that even Von Trap-never-shut is a decent person in real life. But anyone trying to judge SM by the problem threads last week would probably never see it for the friendly place it is. Transparency is the perfect goal, Rob -- let's not pretend we're assholes when we're not.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I must have missed something... This is one of the more civil forums I frequent. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with others or having different opinions. I draw the line at name calling and insults.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
I voted no and agree that the site should be open and transparent. My only complaint is that I think people should not be anonomous, especially if they are flaming away at someone. It's like writing a letter to the editor and not being willing to put a name to it. Just for instance, who is "high chair"? Also, the endless inclusion of unrelated videos (sorry AC) is annoying and a waste of time IMO. It doesn't add anything relevant to the post. And if you take the time to post something, at least make it readable. Again, sorry AC...just telling it like it is...regardless of how well you can motor.

I don't recall all this drama on the old site. Perhaps that previous suggestion about a separate forum for the SE makes absolute sense! We are a lot more laid back out West.

Bill-
  • HoneyBadger - BrianW and Michael Colangelo like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
I think this section has its place from time to time. Doesn't cost anything to maintain it, does it?

As far as anonymity is concerned, the only reason I don't use my name is that I don't think its necessary to have anything I say on a forum publicly indexed to my name in perpetuity.
Privacy is a virtue. Not much of it left these days.
Not too hard to figure out who someone is if they give a valid region and car number.

And yes, this forum has the lowest D-bag and highest literacy index of any I know.....except mandrama.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I voted no and agree that the site should be open and transparent. My only complaint is that I think people should not be anonomous, especially if they are flaming away at someone. It's like writing a letter to the editor and not being willing to put a name to it. Just for instance, who is "high chair"? Also, the endless inclusion of unrelated videos (sorry AC) is annoying and a waste of time IMO. It doesn't add anything relevant to the post. And if you take the time to post something, at least make it readable. Again, sorry AC...just telling it like it is...regardless of how well you can motor.

I don't recall all this drama on the old site. Perhaps that previous suggestion about a separate forum for the SE makes absolute sense! We are a lot more laid back out West.

Bill-

I think there are many on the forum who use alias's but they are known by many and there names come up if you have no life and read every post :help: High Chair is well known and been around a long time. But totally agree on the few new ones that have popped up?? There is a history of "anonymous" posters coming on and stirring things up(agenda, fun, who knows? I wonder if this has happened again?)and then disappearing.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
I voted no.

They say that the problem with wrestling with a pig in mud is after a while you realize the pig likes it. Creating a special mud pit won't improve behavior on the forum (where it is needed), wise moderating and community pressure will.

cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users