MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:04
I have a '99 with TORSEN. Under acceleration the car torque steers to drivers left, enough that you need to compensate with steering input to keep the car tacking straight. Under engine braking, the effect is reversed and the car wants to torque steer to driver's right. When the car is in a neutral state (maintenance throttle), the car tracks straight and true. Any ideas where to look? I've checked:

Alignment
Cam bolts
TORSEN functionality & mounts
Upper & lower control arm bushings
PPF
Ball joints
Sub-frame mounting bolts

Any help or ideas will be appreciated.
Seneca Motorsports

Adam Molaver

Adam Molaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:50
how did you check the alignment? sounds to me like the rear wheels are not tracking in the same plane as the fronts - imagine both rear wheels offset towards the passenger side relative to the fronts. or possibly toe was measure with toe plates..toe plates can show zero toe, but that is combined for both sides. so if left rear is toe'd out, and right rear is toe'd in, plates show zero toe, yet it sure as hale won't drive like it :noidea:

ahm

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Sounds like one of your cam bolts on the rear lower control arms is loose, probably the front on passengers side

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Adam, alignment was checked with strings and toe plates. The rear wheels are tracking straight in relationship to the fronts based on my string measurements.

Jim, I will check the cam bolts again. They are tight, but my understanding is they can stretch so who knows.

I appreciate the input.
Seneca Motorsports

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Have you tried swapping tires around? I've had something similar when using a tire that had more tread than another on the rear.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
I don't think thrust angle or any other alignment setting could be the culprit here; it would be consistant under acceleration, braking and steady throttle. Same goes for a tire problem; neither should cause a direction bias change dependant upon load.

Something has got to be loose/broken/cracked to cause a shift in direction like that.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
How about cracked/broken differential mount or wasted differential mount bushing?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

How about cracked/broken differential mount or wasted differential mount bushing?

Would not discount this altogether, but I'd suspect a part that's allowing the alignment to change under load; anything that holds the uprights in position (control arms, take-up points, subframe mounts, etc.) need to be looked at very closely. Suspension needs to be checked hanging (unloaded), as well as with the car's weight resting on it. Brakes on and off; you really need to try and duplicate the shift, or you may have a tough go at isolating it. Usually, there'll be a thud or bang at the time the shift happens.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97
I had the something happen many times and I can tell you with almost 100% certainty what it is. The lower rear ( rear of the car)outboard bolt (hook to the upright) on the lower control arm is loose (the long bolt near the tire with a 17mm nut and a 19mm bolt). Double wrench it to make sure it is tight. Even if the nut is tight make sure that is not a result of screwed up threads. The first time that happened to me it took 3 weekends before I found it. That acceleration left/deceleration right is nothing I had experienced with any other issues (broken parts, loose cams, etc). It is a problem all its own. If that does not make sense you will have to wait until I stop drinking in London!!
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks fellas. Will take another look when I get it back up on the lift.
Seneca Motorsports

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Steve look close at the upper bushing on the rear uprite as well. And plus 10000 on Jamies ideas

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Found the problem - the lower differential spacer was broken that is between the diff and PPF. Also, the shoulder bolt that goes through the spacer was in place, but it was the wrong bolt and the metal locating bushing was not there.
Seneca Motorsports

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91

Found the problem - the lower differential spacer was broken that is between the diff and PPF. Also, the shoulder bolt that goes through the spacer was in place, but it was the wrong bolt and the metal locating bushing was not there.

And that fixed it??
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Surprising you didn't hear things flopping around under there.

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah Kent, imagine that. B)
Seneca Motorsports

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91

Yeah Kent, imagine that. B)

I just wouldn't have thought that would have any affect on the rear suspension geometry.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Thanks for sharing.
  • KentCarter likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Kent, I don't get it either. I thought the problem as due to a changing toe condition. As soon as I tightened up the PPF to diff, the problem stopped.
Seneca Motorsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users