Photo

What Radiator and Thermostat to use in high ambient temps.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

"its just too bad saferacer was of no help when the replacement brackets that i waited an extra week for, still didn't fit right. and the hoses don't come with the rad. and SD/saferacer refuse to say, 'x part number is the correct hose'. yes, they work, but for the price, its ridiculous that it doesn't fit. if a $130 ebay special can drop right in, why not a $600 SD?"

Not to thread jack, but 100% in agreement with you. Neither Saferacer or Springfield of any help at all!

Bad fitment is part of the fun of running Springfield Dyno products.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR
Looks like were going with the C&R triple pass. Not much more than the SD w/o the issues.

What psi rad cap ? I'm thinking 16 psi.

Thanks, Dewey
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

So the only thing a stat can do is fail in the closed position causing the car to overheat.

It can do one other thing: actually bring your car up to and maintain proper operating temps if it is cold outside. Ran an enduro in like 40 degree weather years ago and my car ran at like 150-160*. Figured I had a tstat suck open, but inspecting showed a gutted tstat. Put in a proper tstat and haven't had an issue since. Hot temps are the same as running with no tstat.

Of the failed tstats you've experienced how many of them were new that you tested before putting in the car? Genuinly curious. If I didn't race in a desert at altitude, where we get huge temp swings, I might feel differently, but a tstat has worked well for me. YMMV.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I have a Koyo 53
Cap
http://www.koyoradra...diator_caps.asp
Tstat only in cold conditions.
None in hot, watch the temps after race/turning off car, may spike.
May want to "NASCAR" overflow tube to squirt your passenger side of window.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

It can do one other thing: actually bring your car up to and maintain proper operating temps if it is cold outside.

The big boys don't use tstats, they run restrictors but not stats for the reasons Dave W mentioned. They warm the car up but they have a rules package where they can run tape or other restriction devices to limit air across the rad and increase the temps. Once one looks outside the world of SM and club racing in general race cars don't have tstats in the cooling system. I don't plan on putting one into mine, never used them in the hobby stocks nor do my clients or compadres.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

The big boys don't use tstats

Operating parameters for the "big boys" are very different than ours. Taping up the radiator isn't practical for what we do. Running a tstat is.
  • FTodaro likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:70
People were taping up there grills at the run offs. Sd radiator is a pos, mine doesn't leak but it doesn't cool worth a da&n either.

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

It can do one other thing: actually bring your car up to and maintain proper operating temps if it is cold outside. Ran an enduro in like 40 degree weather years ago and my car ran at like 150-160*. Figured I had a tstat suck open, but inspecting showed a gutted tstat. Put in a proper tstat and haven't had an issue since. Hot temps are the same as running with no tstat.

Of the failed tstats you've experienced how many of them were new that you tested before putting in the car? Genuinly curious. If I didn't race in a desert at altitude, where we get huge temp swings, I might feel differently, but a tstat has worked well for me. YMMV.

My experience as well. Taping the radiator is hit-or-miss. Our ECUs behave repeatably only within a temperature range, and the thermostat is the control that keeps the temps there. Leaving it out is like going back to manual ignition advance.

The other thing is that without the thermostat the car takes a LONG time to warm up -- specifically, longer than the drive to the grid. That means you have to be warming the car up in the paddock, which is both painful and annoying. Any part can fail, but thermostats don't seem to do it any more often than anything else.

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

People were taping up there grills at the run offs. Sd radiator is a pos, mine doesn't leak but it doesn't cool worth a da&n either.

I have been running Koyo's for a long time, but after a failed one, due to electrolysis, I switched to a SD radiator of which I am not happy with at all. I have used in the past and continue to use a fail safe thermostat, specially here in our hot Texas weather, I do however at the recommendation of a fellow racer drilled small 1/16" holes in the thermostat to create a slightly continuous flow. I will be switching back to the 53 Koyo.
  • FTodaro likes this

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I've had mine since 2007 and it has never kept me under 205 in a draft let alone by myself in 90+ temps. I've emailed them and tried everything they say and replaced alot of parts.

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Just an observation.... when I got my first SD radiator 4 yrs ago when they first came out (which I still have in my 99 car) it worked awesome, but then it sprung a leak due to fan rubbing so I patched it up. I just recently got one for my 97 car and I am very disappointed in it. The car can't stay as cool as the 99 in the draft under the same racing conditions there have always been which I thought was strange. Then a buddy of mine just recently bought an SD for his 99 car and found out it was USED and refurbished. He calls up saferacer and tells them, then they say oohhh yah we refurbish them now and re sell them cause they are better! REALLLLYY!!! So now they sell you used parts without telling you and apparently if you want a brand new one you have to ask! And I can't help but think the latest ones purchased don't work as well as the first batch?
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11
There are other options, I went with Trackspeed's 76 mm triple pass dual core radiator. It has no problem keeping my 1.6 cool in the Texas heat and is priced about the same as the SD radiator. Just required a new upper hose which you can buy from them and fitment was not an issue.
http://trackspeedeng.../products_id/83
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

People were taping up there grills at the run offs.

Runoffs aren't enduros. I'm certainly not going to make an extra pit stop when I've found out that I have too much or too little tape. Not to mention that access to the rad is sealed off and would be a PITA to try to adjust during scheduled pit stops.

NASA Utah SM Director

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

People were taping up there grills at the run offs.

Potential protest (aero advantage)?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Taken from the trackspeed website as posted above

1990-1997 NA cores out of stock. Estimated ETA June 2012
1999-2005 NB cores out of stock. No current ETA

Just an FYI. I have no further knowledge of this product or supplier

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Taken from the trackspeed website as posted above

1990-1997 NA cores out of stock. Estimated ETA June 2012
1999-2005 NB cores out of stock. No current ETA

Just an FYI. I have no further knowledge of this product or supplier

Dave

Yeah, they don't get them often, however I'd imagine if you guys built up a wait list, Andrew would order more. Last I heard he had about 3 left from the June order but that may no longer be the case. Call!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Todd, I said they were placing it on the grill not the radiator. It's not rocket science to figure out how much is too much, in one practice session you could establish how much to cover up. I'll stick with a t-stat though

Tyler Dahl

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Potential protest (aero advantage)?

My understanding from another thread is that tape is not in compliance while decals are perfectly fine. Push the gray kids, push the gray.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Todd, I said they were placing it on the grill not the radiator. It's not rocket science to figure out how much is too much, in one practice session you could establish how much to cover up. I'll stick with a t-stat though

Sorry, my mind read that as radiator since there is no rule to put tape on the grill, but rads are free thus the tape is just part of the design for your custom radiator. :P

Anyway, you forget how my car likes to defy physics and change from session to session even though you make no changes to the car. :P But seriously temps can swing pretty wildly in 90 minutes during our enduros as you know. Tennis balls are mandatory in the vents at the start of the stint and at least during one year I was debating pushing them out and having them go bouncing down the track by the end because it had warmed up so much. :P Figuring out a matrix of temp vs tape sounds like a lot of work when we already have a device that does it for us and doesn't push the rules boundary.

NASA Utah SM Director

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Not sure why this seems to be so complicated... or expensive etc. I have been using these, texted them, they work perfectly and very inexpensive

http://www.longacrer...d=1094&catid=11
  • dstevens likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users