Photo

August 2012 Prelim Tech Bull

- - - - - Shoot peening Crank Shaft Shoot Peening CrankShaft

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Darrell, please splane this Tech Bull.

DATE: July 20, 2012
NUMBER: TB 12‐08
TO: Competitors, Stewards, and Scrutineers
SUBJECT: Errors and Omissions, Competition Adjustments, Clarifications, and Classifications
All changes are effective 8/1/2012 unless otherwise noted.

NOTE: This preliminary version of the Club Racing Technical Bulletin is provided at this time as a service
to the membership. These items may be corrected and will not be official until published on the Fastrack
page of the scca.com website on or about July 20.

Spec Miata
1. #8730 (Jim Drago) Clarify the use of shot peening.
In section 9.1.8.C.1.c.1, clarify the crankshaft language by adding the following:
"The stock Mazda Miata crankshaft must be used with no modifications except for machining to allow
the use of main and rod bearings as allowed in 2 below. Shot peening to stress relieve the crankshaft
after machining is permitted. The following table lists the permitted crankshaft for each model year and
the minimum weight (not including pilot bearing or hardware)."
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Must be one of those everyone is doing it deals so lets make it legal :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Since allowing the cranks to be turned( cost saving, not performance enhancing) when the 09 engine rules and specs went into the GCR, people obviously started turning their cranks when they lost a bearing rather than replacing the cranks. Shot peening is spelled out "legal" in other classes where it is legal to turn cranks, since turning cranks is legal in SM and our rules are so specific, The CRB decided to spell it out in SM as well, it is SOP and ma be considered implied when the rule passed, we chose to make clear by spelling it out. Any machine shop that is competent enough to turn a Miata crank correctly, will shot peen to stress relieve the journals. This is not a performance enhancement, unless you count a hard journal that will not deteriorate and cause yet another bearing failure, a performance modification. This is ancient ( literally) technology, nothing new, google is your friend

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
Edited to "nevermind"...
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

This is ancient ( literally) technology, nothing new, google is your friend
Jim

Since allowing the cranks to be turned( cost saving, not performance enhancing) when the 09 engine rules and specs went into the GCR,

Since you have implied that I have no knowledge of technology and don't know how to use Google, I sure as well can't read/understand the GCR SMCS, therefore will you please specify the 09 or 10 engine rules and specs within the GCR SMCS that allows cranks to be turned.

If I were writting a rule, I'd use the word grind relative to decreasing the size of crank journals, turning is a lathe single point tool process. I could talk further about shoot peening, but that would only complicate and clutter the discussion.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
You asked to explain, I did.( against my better judgement) nothing was implied... If you are not happy with current rule or want this rule or any other written differently or further clarified, you know that process as well, Send in a letter stating as much.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You asked to explain, I did.( against my better judgement) nothing was implied...

Since you have implied that I have no knowledge of technology and don't know how to use Google, I sure as well can't read/understand the GCR SMCS, therefore will you please specify the 09 or 10 engine rules and specs within the GCR SMCS that allows cranks to be turned.

Come on Jim, your a note motor builder and on the CRB, you should be able to support a SCCA member finding the rule within the GCR SMCS that allows cranks to be turned.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
David
Your first post, I was foolish enough to think you wanted an answer to the question you asked. You asked to explain the addition to a rule that is almost three years old?Your 'asking" now to point out a rule that allows cranks to be turned, In actuality, your not asking, (you are challenging or questioning the validity) As you are aware, you quoted it in your first post.

You don't like the word "machining" , in order to install smaller rod/main bearings, you must "machine",( but again, you know this as well) if you don't like that word and would prefer another like "turn" or "grind", send a letter. I think it is clear, but have no issues adding other words as well. But won't do so less a letter from someone asking as much.

Or do you have a problem with cranks being turned/ground or machined?

This is my last post on this matter. If you need further clarification, you can email or call me directly.
  • Glenn and mellen like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users