Photo

NASA Thunderhill Aug 18/19 - anyone wanna run CLOCKWISE?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Hey NorCal and SoCal drivers,

What are your thoughts on running the Spec Miata and Spec E30 run group in the CLOCKWISE direction at Thunderhill at the August event?

I personally LOVE running the track in this direction, as there are several areas of the track that are much higher speed. It races very well in this direction, but there are a couple places on track that are "tricky" from racing perspective. Entering T15 and the esses at high speed mean that drivers have to be very respectful of each other and leaving room. Also, the flag station at T5 is difficult to see, so everyone has to be VERY VERY VERY diligent in looking there for flags, as the crest is completely blind. Also, the wall on the outside of T1 is close (and hard). We would, like we've always done in the direction, make the blend line into a "virtual wall". That is, if you put even an inch of your tires outside this line as you exit T1, you get a 3 spot penalty because it as if you "hit the wall".

Who's in and who hates the idea? Jerry has asked the E30 Director and I to gauge interest, and then we'll make a decision.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Dean, since this will be my first race on my provisional license I'd vote no (since my plans are to hang at the back of the pack for my first 4 races).. but hey I'm racing either way!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Big hale yes from me.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

ryoung99

ryoung99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:NorCal; SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:14
I have never driven it "backwards". But I would be up for it. Looking forward to racing it. Any chance you could get the track day on Friday to follow the lead so we could get a few laps on it before going door to door?

We are almost ready to race, need to put in the new belts this week and get the car "tech'd".

Thanks,
Rick

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Chances of testing in cw is slim with track masters holding the test day. I may be wrong though.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I don't hate the idea, but will need some help in warmup on Saturday since I've never run it this way before. Maybe run it one way on Saturday, and a different way on Sunday?

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
My vote is no.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Well, after considering the comments here, the comments I got via email and a discussion with the spec E30 group leaders, we've decided that we will NOT run the track backwards at the August event. There will not be a good time to get all drivers enough practice to make it safe to race. Since we have a renewed focus on eliminating ALL contact in Group A, this is a big variable we just don't need.

All of the remaining events for the year are at Infineon, so it's a moot point for 2012. I'd like to consider it for next year, so we can talk about that.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
fine.... :crying:

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Charlie,

Just paint your car like a salmon and turn left off of grid. Would make for an exciting race. :scared:
  • Charlie Hayes and Rob Burgoon like this

Former driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Still waiting for figure 8...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users