dbednarz

dbednarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:68
Live Timing showed Andrew Carbonnell won, with Tom Sager 2nd and Bruce Andersen Jr in 3rd. Lap times were in the low 47s, maybe due to the 95 degree temps.

Looked like Tom was running close with the BSI guys all race. Maybe someone will write a race report for those of us who could not be there.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Just got home. Here's an update from memory. Yes, it was seriously hot today and yesterday for Q2 but the Florida crew seemed to take it in stride. Mid-90's when we went to the grid for the race with the sun a blazing. The track felt petty greasy to me and the smaller field lacked the big draft trains we normally see. Today It looked to me like the pavement in turn 6 and 8 is coming apart some. Times were best in Q1 but not many that I saw got draft benefit.

At the start I was caught snoozing just a bit and Pat McGinnis got by on the right and attached himself to Carbonell's bumper right away and the 2 of them had some good bump drafting going for a few stretches of the race. Bruce Andersen II got a very good start and was 4th by turn 5. He and I weren't able to hook up. We battled some but the front 2 did not really get away. I was able to close on the front 2 and Andersen was right there also. I got by McGinnis entering turn 8 and he and I both were able to close up on Carbonell. Later I gave the spot back after missing a shift in the carousel. My shifter just kinda locked up for several seconds and was OK after that. McGinnis resumed bump drafting with Carbonell. With about 5 laps to go we had a yellow flag from the start finish line through the exit of turn one which lasted for the duration of the race. Another class car in the kitty litter. The first time through Andersen got slowed and lost touch with us a bit. On 2 of the remaining laps I had a good head of steam up the pit straight and had to lift due to the yellow. One of those was a particularly good passing opportunity. On another lap I found myself pushing McGinnis instead of passing due to the yellow. On another lap the leading AS was lapping us there and stood on the brakes before the flagstand and ducked in between me and McGinnis like it was Chicago rush hour in a construction zone. Crazy. I got by McGinnis again in 8 but the pass separated us from Carbonell. McGinnis made a brave move on me in Canada Corner on the last lap but went off the track in the process.

Another very hot weekend but it was fun other than that. Met some of the BSI guys for the first time. A good bunch. Air/Fuel seemed tricky to get just right all weekend. Even though conditions seemed the same for a couple sessions, adjustments for me didn't always give the expected results. Not too much tech other than track width (that's a first that I've seen), fuel and weight. Dave Wheeler cheerfully swapped my recalled DForce wheels with replacements.

Top 5 from memory were:

Carbonell
Sager
Andersen II
Andersen the elder
Kaplan
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Young Bruce has never liked being called "Bruce Jr". I can't imagine his dad will like being called "The Elder" :spin: :spin: :spin:

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Andersen

Bruce Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central/South
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:17
Hot but dry weekend, better than rain any day. The race was fun, but not that many passes up front. Carbonell ran a very consistent race and led for all of it (or most of it). McGinnis ran a great race as well and worked with Carbonell. I feel bad that he was not able to at least keep 3rd place as he deserved it. Sager ran well and was always in contention as well. I on the other hand ran good in the beginning, then poorly in the middle, but was able to catch back up with the lead 3 on the last lap after Sager passed in turn 8. As we came out of the kink, both McGinnis and myself had good pulls and both of us were of course thinking about passing, McGinnis tried an outside pass in 12 and I stayed inside and pulled up behind Sager. The outside pass did not work out and I was able to finish 3rd.

Other noteworthy info:

-if you ever go wide coming out of the carousel there is some kind of dust bowl that is like a bomb went off if you go through it. I could not see anything from inside the car and the outside of the car is still covered. The air filter was caked with dust.
-8 groups and a single race makes for a long day
-Once you run with a cool suit going back is tough (mine of course broke during a warm weekend).
-I am beginning to like the nickname 'jr'

Bruce Andersen
Senson Racing Group

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Still liked "Deuce" but whatever. Wish I could have been there!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Andersen

Bruce Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central/South
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:17
Tracy,

This was the second weekend in a row that we paddocked next to someone who knew you. It was a quiet weekend, would have been good to have you around.

Bruce Andersen
Senson Racing Group

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Young Bruce has never liked being called "Bruce Jr". I can't imagine his dad will like being called "The Elder" :spin: :spin: :spin:

Elder as in elder statesman, wiser or more senior.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Elder as in elder statesman, wiser or more senior.

Or, elder as in statesman, wiser or more mature. Mature doesn't sound so old as does senior. :scratchchin: Tom, your also getting there.:duck:

No dis-respect Jr.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Or, elder as in statesman, wiser or more mature. Mature doesn't sound so old as does senior. :scratchchin: Tom, your also getting there. :duck:

I know. I think it's time that we create a Spec Miata Seniors class for over 50. It's hard to compete with guys like Carbonell who can not only drive but have movie star good looks, fancy driver's suits and upside that I dreamed about 25 years ago.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Tom and Bruce - Thanks for the reports - wish I had been there.

Tom I was going to "Like" your post above then remembered that even in the over 50's class, there are plenty of us with movie star looks, fancy drivers suits and even mode upside still waiting for us. Was specifically thinking of my new hero, grandpa Pat Sandlin!!! Noting better than mixing it up with the younger drivers and still kicking butt. Motorsport is one of the ONLY places that you can race straight-up with someone 30 or 40 years your junior, and still give them a run for their money.....

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tom I was going to "Like" your post above

Drago did a "like" to Tom's post, but then he wanted a Spec Miata over 40 class two or three years ago. :bigsquaregrin:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Drago did a "like" to Tom's post, but then he wanted a Spec Miata over 40 class two or three years ago. :bigsquaregrin:

another 4 years and I will be in the 50 and up :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

I know. I think it's time that we create a Spec Miata Seniors class for over 50. It's hard to compete with guys like Carbonell who can not only drive but have movie star good looks, fancy driver's suits and upside that I dreamed about 25 years ago.

Don't forget the Miami charm ;)

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Sorry I missed it. Sounds like it was fun except for the heat and schedule. I have to admit, doubles have spoiled me. Going up there or any distance for one race and a lot of waiting is hard to do. Congrats to Andrew on the win , Tom and Bruce as well. Pat is a friend and customer, good to see him running at the front, Congrats to Andrew, Tom and Dale Jr.! :)
  • Bruce Andersen likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users