William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11
Does anyone sell rack shims yet?

If not, does anyone have NA subframe that they could measure for me. I need the dimensions of rack mounting surface and bolt hole location (relative to the shim dimensions and bolt center to center).

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Does anyone sell rack shims yet?

If not, does anyone have NA subframe that they could measure for me. I need the dimensions of rack mounting surface and bolt hole location (relative to the shim dimensions and bolt center to center).

Wilie:
I have a NA sub frame I can measure, but I'm unsure exactly what to measure. Are you asking for the hole spacing, the distance center to center of them or what? Also, can you enlighten me as to what the shimming modification is and what it accomplishes? Thanks.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Wilie:
I have a NA sub frame I can measure, but I'm unsure exactly what to measure. Are you asking for the hole spacing, the distance center to center of them or what? Also, can you enlighten me as to what the shimming modification is and what it accomplishes? Thanks.
Rick

all -- the hole spacing (center to center), how big I should make the shim (the size of the flat of the subframe) and the location of the holes in the shim (the size of the flat of the subframe)

William Keeling

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

all -- the hole spacing (center to center), how big I should make the shim (the size of the flat of the subframe) and the location of the holes in the shim (the size of the flat of the subframe)

Willie:
I'll try to measure it tonight.

Anyone out there who can explain the rack shimming idea and what it accomplishes? I am assumimg that if the rack is elevated (relative to it's current relationship to the sub frame) that toe out under hard braking is lessened? Is that the goal?
Rick

Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Colin MacLean

Colin MacLean

Fly Fifer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Willie:
I'll try to measure it tonight.

Anyone out there who can explain the rack shimming idea and what it accomplishes? I am assumimg that if the rack is elevated (relative to it's current relationship to the sub frame) that toe out under hard braking is lessened? Is that the goal?
Rick

It fixes the bump-steer issue. At rest you want your tie-rods parallel to the ground not at a sharp angle like they are in 'most' SM's. The r package tie rod ends help but this is the better solution.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
There has been some debate on that "Classified" website whether shimming improves or exacerbates the problem.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

It fixes the bump-steer issue. At rest you want your tie-rods parallel to the ground not at a sharp angle like they are in 'most' SM's. The r package tie rod ends help but this is the better solution.

Colin:
Does anyone sell a ready to use shim kit?
Rick