Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
A couple times now when I've removed the motor and reinstalled it, when I first start it up it leaks fuel from the fuel filter area. Then it goes away and never does it again until the next motor R&R is complete. The first couple times it was very concerning. I'd shut off the motor, inspect the connections and couldn't find anything wrong and then start it back up with the plastic cover off and no sign of a leak.

It just did it again and doesn't bother me much now that I know this is the only time it leaks but any idea what causes this? :boggled:
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Apparently I must be the only one who's encountered this. Weird. I still wonder what's going on.

Well if this happens to anyone else on first start-up and you haven't disturbed the fuel filter during the course of business...shut the car off, clean the fuel up, and when you turn it back on, the problem could very well go away until some time later when you R&R the engine again. :noidea:
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Went in to change my fuel filter tonight and discovered that someone had been in the tank before.  They stripped out one of the cover screws and they didn't slide the hose clamps back over the fuel tank pipes.!! The fuel filter under the car was just where the leak could be seen, but not even close to where it origniated from.  I figure it must have dried out enough after not running a month or 2 while rebuilding engines to leak and then swelled or something so the leak would go away.

Good news...nothing really bad happened (although I wonder about odd fuel burn sometimes).  Bad news...I was hoping to see a cruddy looking fuel filter and instead replaced a pretty clean looking one with a new one so no performance improvement expected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users