• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

BEATO

BEATO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:NE
Hello. I am a Noob around here. I recently had a spill on my Ducati due to the heavy rain spreading sand and gravel onto the middle of my favorite twisty country roads. Damage wasn't bad just a broken collarbone.

Well, the equation is now 2 wheels + 2 Kids = 4 wheeled sports car.

So I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what car I should get in order to replace my Duc. I did some track days with the Ducati and so that would still be a requirement. Not sure I am interested in autoX since I would Like to stretch the car's legs. I also want something that is street legal and great machine to replace my Sunday morning rides. I live in NY metro area in case it matters, it may just mean that I can sue you or cut you, your pick.

My initial budget will be about $10K,
I will slowly add more upgrades (<$1K ) as funds become available.

Here are some of the cars I am looking at. I will caveat with the fact I am mechanically inclined to a point, Example is I recently replaced the blown piston on my Stihl saw. I guess I can learn more.

So here is a preliminary list:

Rx-8 - handles, low entry price, with money left over for wheels and rebuilding engine, engine design seems simple to wrench, bad coils, bad cat, bad seals, 5W-30 oil only,

Miata - Fun car to toss around, not a lot of oomph, open air fun, potential track car, Miatabusa project makes me drool.

Name calling and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Looking for a car that's fast, reliable, handles well, brakes well, somewhat roomy, can haul 4-5 people, and is home on a race track? And, can be found in good condition for easily under $10k?

BMW E36 M3 (1995-1999). There's a reason you'll see so many of them at race tracks across the country.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
2 wheels > 4 wheels.

I love to race but if I had to choose between my bike and my SM, the SM loses, not even close. Started riding when I was 11 and still riding at 53. You don't quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding.

Nothing can replace the pleasure I get from riding. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but for 10K I bought a bike that goes 0-60 in 3.0 sec, 1/4 mile in 10.20 @ 125 mph, and tops out at 165-170 depending on who's road test you believe. (I can not confirm or deny that figure). Getting 55-60 mpg on my morning commute doesn't hurt either.

True there are no fender-benders on a bike - you are the fender. Just means you have to assume everyone else on the road is a complete moron - not a stretch.

Death penalty for texting while driving.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users