SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I truly sympathize being a budget racer myself. I doubt that you'll find racing with NASA any cheaper or more safe than the SCCA. I'm not criticizing NASA (or the SCCA) but if you're considering leaving the SCCA for the reason listed in your blog, the grass ain't any greener with the astronauts.
  • FTodaro likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Reflections on my blog about the SCCA DC Region:

http://blog.richramb...om/main/?p=3384

Not too sure you will get much sympathy here. Traveling to races is the "NORM" in most regions.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Quit dancing around what the real problem is - it's the Meatheads fault! (I'm joking - it's a joke) :devil:
  • Glenn likes this

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Not too sure you will get much sympathy here. Traveling to races is the "NORM" in most regions.

Glenn - a couple of points. The article was not intended to engender sympathy, it was intended to air a viewpoint that many of us share about the consequences of the 2012 changes to MARRS. Secondarily, travel is not a binary function where a series travels or does not travel. The issue is where it travels. This is the DC region. Summit Point, NJMP and VIR are the traditional venues, with Summit Point traditionally being a focus. That is affordable. Changing the series so that nearly half the rounds are outside of region means many of us working stiffs won't attend. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm letting the region know and asking the rhetorical question: does the region want to serve a regional, grassroots audience? If so, these changes move the region away from that. That was my only point.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Good luck with the jump to NASA...and I say the same to all those jumping to SCCA. No organization is going to please all of it's members. Did you not look at the schedule when you started racing in your region? If someone told you that grassroots racing meant cheap...they were pulling your leg. And sorry, but I don't think you know what the cost of making a RA1 "competitive" is. You make good points about licensed drivers, lack of experience, and penalties for contact...but your thoughts should be sent to your local regional board for consideration to have any effect. An anonymous blog or forum rant gets you no credibility or sympathy from me.

Edit...of course you are looking for sympathy, why else waste your time? Just move to NASA and be done with it...your blog title tells all. Different strokes for different folks. Pretty simple concept.
  • Glenn likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Good luck with the jump to NASA...and I say the same to all those jumping to SCCA. No organization is going to please all of it's members. Did you not look at the schedule when you started racing in your region? If someone told you that grassroots racing meant cheap...they were pulling your leg. And sorry, but I don't think you know what the cost of making a RA1 "competitive" is. You make good points about licensed drivers, lack of experience, and penalties for contact...but your thoughts should be sent to your local regional board for consideration to have any effect. An anonymous blog or forum rant gets you no credibility or sympathy from me.

Exactly my point. Travel to the other tracks is "optional". Im pretty sure that the author is NOT in a points race, IE no need to travel to far away tracks. Me I HATE driving teh same track all the time.......LOL

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
Many points I agree with two main points though.

Friday practice---If you dont practice Friday---you dont perform well until Sunday... I have lots of vacation (Not the problem)---using it because of meeting in the Detroit autoworld I live in--thats the hard part. I hate going to a track that I have had little practice, no time or warmed up. I understand this might be a great way for the track to off set their costs though.

Tires--- I have eaten through tires this year. I LOVE THE HOOSIERS but they do fall off after 8. I hate the the RA-1s. Why not a hard tire the lasts for everyone--- Have hooiser make it.. I am sure there will be some way to get them working better that will gve them the same 8 heat cycle too....
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I race in both the SCCA and NASA regions in the mid west and find little difference in the cost factor between the two. I do not do all the SCCA regional races in our series and I do not do all the regional races in the NASA region if I did the cost we be equally high for both. The reality is, there is nothing cheap about this hobby and you have to do like most of us do and prioritize your schedule based upon your goals and the reality check of the pocket book.

I do not see much difference in the carnage either, to much in both camps. Your going to have to go to a different class or go race PCA.
  • Glenn likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Edit...of course you are looking for sympathy, why else waste your time? Just move to NASA and be done with it...your blog title tells all. Different strokes for different folks. Pretty simple concept.

Isn't this a bit harsh to be constructive? I have sent the blog post to my region and I don't think the tone of the piece was that of a rant. I posted it here in the hopes of generating a debate about what the DC region is trying to do and whether these rule changes are moving the region away from its goals. Perhaps to inspire some soul searching about what this sport is and should be about. Instead I am getting flamed as a whiner.

Wow. I wonder how someone considering a start in club racing would take this thread.
  • plane and DrDomm like this

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Nevermind.................

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Many points I agree with two main points though.

Friday practice---If you dont practice Friday---you dont perform well until Sunday... I have lots of vacation (Not the problem)---using it because of meeting in the Detroit autoworld I live in--thats the hard part. I hate going to a track that I have had little practice, no time or warmed up. I understand this might be a great way for the track to off set their costs though.

Tires--- I have eaten through tires this year. I LOVE THE HOOSIERS but they do fall off after 8. I hate the the RA-1s. Why not a hard tire the lasts for everyone--- Have hooiser make it.. I am sure there will be some way to get them working better that will gve them the same 8 heat cycle too....

I came to car racing from sailboat racing, where we faced a similar problem in many classes: sails were fast for one weekend or two and then fell off, resulting in an arms race. The fix: competitors had an allocation of how many sails, maximum, they could buy in a season. Administratively, it was enforced by affixing a 'button' to new sails and each competitor only got X buttons per year.

Apart from going back to RA-1s, which I wish they would, I wonder if purchase limits like these might not help with the Hoosier issue. It would control costs and keep people on the Hoosiers if, indeed, they are more fun to drive.

Thank you for your response - this was they type of discussion I was looking for in posting this.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Unfortunately, I agree with most posts above. Many things you posted in your blog are a concern, but not sure any will ever change a whole lot either. You are very fortunate that you have people to race against and your tows are SHORT compared to many others such as myself. We have one race a year here in Memphis, that amounts to almost a lapping day. My next shortest tow is 4 hours to barber once a year, then everything else ( normal race weekend for me ) is 8 plus

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Unfortunately, I agree with most posts above. Many things you posted in your blog are a concern, but not sure any will ever change a whole lot either. You are very fortunate that you have people to race against and your tows are SHORT compared to many others such as myself. We have one race a year here in Memphis, that amounts to almost a lapping day. My next shortest tow is 4 hours to barber once a year, then everything else ( normal race weekend for me ) is 8 plus

Based on the responses to my post, it came off as a kvetch against the fact that traveling to race is expensive. I knew that coming in, but that wasn't the point of the post.

This year, in our region, the DC region, they changed the schedule to add a bunch of double races that were much further away. That put many of those rounds out of reach of true regional, grassroots competitors and left those rounds in reach of folks with lots of money and time. Ergo, the series is catering to a different audience than it was before, and they'll lose guys like me. That was all I meant to say, period, full stop. Not complaining about the costs of racing, which are self evident. Raising an issue in our region and posted it here to engender a debate about who rules affect different constituents. That was the intent. Many posters here aren't from the DC region so they don't have the context and have taken this post completely the wrong way - as a rant about the cost of racing.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
:banghead:

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Rich, have you considered running for RE of your region?

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Rich, have you considered running for RE of your region?

I haven't, no. I have only just gotten into racing last year.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Isn't this a bit harsh to be constructive? I have sent the blog post to my region and I don't think the tone of the piece was that of a rant. I posted it here in the hopes of generating a debate about what the DC region is trying to do and whether these rule changes are moving the region away from its goals. Perhaps to inspire some soul searching about what this sport is and should be about. Instead I am getting flamed as a whiner.

Wow. I wonder how someone considering a start in club racing would take this thread.

Harsh?? Just following your lead...read your blog/thread title again. If i had started this my title would have been "Concerned...is it me or is the SCCA DC region missing its mark?"

Ron

RAmotorsports

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Exactly my point. Travel to the other tracks is "optional". Im pretty sure that the author is NOT in a points race, IE no need to travel to far away tracks. Me I HATE driving teh same track all the time.......LOL

MARRS is a points series. Missing a minimum of 5 of 13 rounds would make it hopeless to be competitive in the series.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Based on the responses to my post, it came off as a kvetch against the fact that traveling to race is expensive. I knew that coming in, but that wasn't the point of the post.

This year, in our region, the DC region, they changed the schedule to add a bunch of double races that were much further away. That put many of those rounds out of reach of true regional, grassroots competitors and left those rounds in reach of folks with lots of money and time. Ergo, the series is catering to a different audience than it was before, and they'll lose guys like me. That was all I meant to say, period, full stop. Not complaining about the costs of racing, which are self evident. Raising an issue in our region and posted it here to engender a debate about who rules affect different constituents. That was the intent. Many posters here aren't from the DC region so they don't have the context and have taken this post completely the wrong way - as a rant about the cost of racing.

Perhaps you can talk to the even organizers or others that are based out of Summit and have a championship within a championship? It would seem easy enough to do? maybe just the rounds at Summit and the next closest track? Or If multiple events at Summit, just a Summit championship? Seems like other ways to solve the problem where everyone is happy?
Just pointing out having as many racers as you have and tracks close is a blessing that we don't have at all.
Jim
  • jeopardyracing likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users