Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40
Just pulled front pads (DTC-60s) off after a 10-session weekend at Sebring. This was their 4th enduro weekend, so I am happy with the pad wear. But it seems the right-side pads are wearing faster than the left. There is close to 2mm more material on the LF caliper (on average) than the right. I think I can feel some brake-steer while driving the car as well. Both calipers look fine. Is there anything other than an unhappy (draggy?) caliper that might be causing that?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Maybe a rotor issue, but with the brake-steer you're feeling, I'd suspect the RF caliper. Any pedal pulsing indicating a warped rotor? Just installing the DTC-60's...hope I like them. I had been using blues.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
A brake bleed is a good place to start. Any air trapped in the left-hand caliper will cause the opposite caliper to start clamping sooner and with more force. Also, check for leaks (all hoses and steel lines) and pad contamination (rust, grease, fluid from a leaking caliper) as well.

Edit: I need to clarify; the caliper with air trapped in works a little more slowly and clamps with less force (as compressing the air wastes hydraulic pressure), it doesn't impact how the other side works.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40
Thanks guys. Definitely not a warped rotor. I was/am quite happy with the DTC's. I've done a lot of bleeding (including full fluid changeover from blue to gold two weekends ago), so unless the air is caught in some odd place in the caliper that won't come out, I would think I got it all. Nothing untoward or unclean on any surface or joint on the calipers, lines, or MC.

The proportioning valve only affects front to rear, right, so that couldn't be the issue?

Seems like the most full-proof method would be to change both calipers and braided lines, but I don't want to be throwing money away. The braided lines are vintage 06/07, so they are probably due anyway. These calipers were changed June '10.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
If you're usually running the same track, depending on if it's clockwise or counter one side will do more work and get more wear than the other. Mine tend to wear on an angle. One of our local bonnified rockstar builder/drivers recommended that as part of my normal pre/post race prep, I swap the pads side to side after every race weekend. I found if you do it regularly, they wear well. If you wait too long and then move them around you have some of the most horrible brakes you could imagine.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Are you using the brake hardware? If so, check to see that all the clips and springs are all still present and mounted in the same way. If not, check that your pads aren't getting hung up on the rough caliper surface when you release the brake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users