Photo

2013 Oregon Region SCCA - What do we want it to look like?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

I oppose the SM dedicated parking spot as something that's in the sups, where somebody could be "asked to move". I understand the comraderie but the flipside is that it creates the "There's us and then there's everyone else" mentality which I don't view as healthy.

Ahh, didn't see that in the original posts, but I'm sure they will do their best to make it work for everyone. Rose Cup did a good job of getting everyone in one area, I think a few paddocked as close as they could but not with the group since they had other cars as well.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

I oppose the SM dedicated parking spot as something that's in the sups, where somebody could be "asked to move". I understand the comraderie but the flipside is that it creates the "There's us and then there's everyone else" mentality which I don't view as healthy. The PRO3 group in Conference has something like 72 cars now and they haven't seen a need to do this, nor have I ever got the vibe from them having non-PRO3 cars pit amongst them is a problem or a nusance. Sure they paddock together a lot and everyone in a non-PRO3 race car gets that but to make it part of the rules or to have someone forcibly moved is pretty weak. I think this type of exclusionary mentality is negative, not positive.

Hello Colin.... The reason for the dedicated space and backing it up in the supps is due to the lack of respect some racers have for paddock space that has been blocked off. Unfortunately some racers feel like if they get there before others they can move cones and tape and do whatever they want. We have had instances where certain officials felt they could park where they wanted and moved cones etc because they felt like the particular portion of the paddock was "theirs" and no one else was entitled to it. We are also trying to re-institute SM BBQ's which is much easier to do when all are together. We have a very low SM turn out percentage based on the number of cars built so having this dedicated space (SRF already has theirs) with some accountability I believe is key to getting more racers out creating a healthier overall environment.

The intent is not to be exclusionary, but to have some accountability when the region dedicates a minimal amount of space for the largest group in SCCA OR region and others choose to not respect the boundaries set forth. It's kind of the chicken on the egg deal, but I believe that the first negative/un-sportsmanlike maneuver is the moving of the cones/tape and I believe that we must have more accountability.

I race both SCCA and Conference and help both organizations. Neither one is going to base policy off of what the other one does or doesn't do.

I see your point and appreciate your comments. :)

Sean
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users