tra68

tra68

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:90
A 30 second video of my steering wheel detaching itself during Sunday's NASA race at Autobahn South. Turns out that the shaft from the quick release adapter sheared off at the weld.

Fortunately, it happened where it did and I did not collect up any cars. And because of that, maybe its good for a quick Monday morning "better you than me" chuckle.

Enjoy.

Todd Ayers

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I have seen this happen more than a few times. Once the wheel did not come completely off the shaft. The car would turn right just fine, but would not turn left. The hub would just spin on the shaft in left turns.

This is why I do not use the weld on style of hubs. On my kit, the welding is done in the shop by the same guy that welds my cages. All you have to do is bolt it together.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:55
Holy cow,

Since you and the car were not hurt in the making of this video, I did get quite a chuckle out of it :) I especially liked how you held detached wheel at 9 and 3 for a period of time while coming to grips with the fact that you had a rudderless ship! Fun pitting next to you.....see you next year.

Chris Williams
2000 Spec Miata Orange #55
NASA Great Lakes Spec Miata Series Director

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tra68

tra68

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:90
Chris, thanks for noticing my hand position. I had to laugh at that as well. It reminded me of the saying about saving deck chairs on the Titanic. I guess all that HPDE instruction about hand position really sunk in (though I couldn't see if my thumbs were pointed up).

Dave, thank you for your comments regarding your quick release product, I will be sure to consider it. You'll never guess what I was searching the internet for this morning ...

Todd Ayers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users