Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Ok, so with JD's blessing, I will kick off new Off Topic venue off with something sure to get a few views - Perhaps some of you will find this offiensive.... oh well

At the end of January I had the privilege to work with Arny Freytag, Playboy's most prolific Centerfold shooter with more that 120 centerfolds to his credit. Over the years I have admired his work, not just cheking out the obviously smoking centerfolds he has shot, but more how he shot them. The more I studied his images, the more it became obvious that he is an absolute master of lighting and over the years we have tried to mimic what he does. And so, over the years we invested in more and more lights, and currently we light our boudoir sets with around 10-15 strobes all placed to create highlights and shadows on body parts to emphasize the curve and shape of the model's body, as well as selectively highlighting background elements to create depth and interest.

But what was fascinating to learn working with Arny is that he never lights a centerfold with less than 20 lights, sometimes as many as 40, and all are positioned incredibly tight to the subject and tightly scrimmed to create very defined small pools of light. In the days before digital, it would take him and his team around a week just to light the set, and then a day of shooting. Now with digital it takes a day and ahlf to get the set lit and get the shot.

It was most enjoyable to see him work and a great learning event for me, and one I will remember for a long time.

As an FYI I had many of my commerical images published in the various editions of Playboy, but never a cover or centerfold. One day perhaps!!!!

Here are a couple of shots from the shoot

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Glenn likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
THANKS Danny, keep RUBBING it in!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
But, can they cook & sew?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Just yesterday I cam across a couple decals from the 2010 Runoffs.

By Meathead racing:

"Danny Steyn has a better job than I do."
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Ok, so with JD's blessing, I will kick off new Off Topic venue off with something sure to get a few views - Perhaps some of you will find this offiensive.... oh well

At the end of January I had the privilege to work with Arny Freytag, Playboy's most prolific Centerfold shooter with more that 120 centerfolds to his credit. Over the years I have admired his work, not just cheking out the obviously smoking centerfolds he has shot, but more how he shot them. The more I studied his images, the more it became obvious that he is an absolute master of lighting and over the years we have tried to mimic what he does. And so, over the years we invested in more and more lights, and currently we light our boudoir sets with around 10-15 strobes all placed to create highlights and shadows on body parts to emphasize the curve and shape of the model's body, as well as selectively highlighting background elements to create depth and interest.

But what was fascinating to learn working with Arny is that he never lights a centerfold with less than 20 lights, sometimes as many as 40, and all are positioned incredibly tight to the subject and tightly scrimmed to create very defined small pools of light. In the days before digital, it would take him and his team around a week just to light the set, and then a day of shooting. Now with digital it takes a day and ahlf to get the set lit and get the shot.

It was most enjoyable to see him work and a great learning event for me, and one I will remember for a long time.

As an FYI I had many of my commerical images published in the various editions of Playboy, but never a cover or centerfold. One day perhaps!!!!

Here are a couple of shots from the shoot

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure about proper lighting but they can drive my car anyday! roglmfao! :wub:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Not sure about proper lighting but they can drive my car anyday! roglmfao! :wub:

Danny, if you need someone to help you with the lighting, I am your man. LOL

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Danny
I am offended, just like those girls, everyone just wants me for my body :blink:
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
The MEATHEAD Racing sticker "Danny Steyn has a better job than I do" was our most popular sticker in 2010 just edging out "I'm here for the man drama", look for us to put both of those into production again for 2011.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

The MEATHEAD Racing sticker "Danny Steyn has a better job than I do" was our most popular sticker in 2010 just edging out "I'm here for the man drama", look for us to put both of those into production again for 2011.

Both of which barely out paced "I love my Hot Wives"

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

You are so going to have send me one of each.
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

You are so going to have send me one of each.

New Crew shirts will read, "I'm here late FIXING this car cause of the Man Drama"

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
I love myself and my new rules.......

Another fulfilled New Year Resolution!

What a gig Danny and, other than the obvious, some great work my friend!

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
These ladies look amazingly similar to my crew chief / wife mate of harumphhh years ... NOT!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year