RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
I'm considering joining Spec Miata after a bunch of years in other classes.

I'd really be more attracted to SM if people raced them successfully without hard tops.

I'm assuming open tops are legal but too slow due to aerodynamics, true?

Is there a chance the rules might change, like a weight break for cars without tops?

Thanks. I searched but didn't find this particular discussion.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70
You don't have to use a top....its just slower from the aerodynamics. GCR page 646; section 9.1.8.e

Convertible tops and attaching hardware shall be completely

removed. Cars may compete with the Mazda factory detachable

hard top in place (latches shall be replaced with positive

fasteners), but it is not mandatory. When no top is used, driver

shall wear arm restraints, and the cage will meet the helmet

clearance rule.
Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I like my hardtop, it keeps me all warm and cozy on those October race morning. Plus I've seen many Miatas on said roof - not a structural advantage but it keeps the grass and gravel outa yer face.

You could always run E or F prod.

You could write the CRB and ask for a rule change. Please keep us posted on their reply.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

You could write the CRB and ask for a rule change. Please keep us posted on their reply.

Thank You For Your Input.

What Russ really wants is a new class, SMO, except he knows the abuse he'd get for suggesting that, or would he. :wave2:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I went to the ARRC today, and will go back again tomorrow. It's nice living 45 minutes from Rd Atl. :-).

I spoke with Tom Fowler, OPM, and Danny Steyn. Nice guys, nice equipment.

Tom said open top cars might be okay at slower tracks. He doubts there will ever be a rules adjustment to help open tops be equal to hard tops. I can kinda understand that could be a can of worms.

I look forward to watching the race tomorrow.

Qualifying: http://www.mylaps.co....jsp?id=2523624

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Why in the heck would I want to race without the top. It protects you from the rain, cold, flying debris, and helps with a rollover. What are the upside of removing the top
  • john mueller likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Why in the heck would I want to race without the top. It protects you from the rain, cold, flying debris, and helps with a rollover. What are the upside of removing the top

I agree Pat, but if not for the aerodynamic loss, the chance to move 80 pounds from way up high to way down low is very interesting.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Hmm. It's hard to say exactly why a topless race car is more fun. I guess it's no different than on the street. Driving with the top down is just more fun. I've driven formula cars for years, so that's probably affected me in odd ways, too. :-)

I wonder why the MX-5 pro cars are topless? Someone must've determined it was better for some reason. Fans get to look into the cockpits?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Here's a story with one of our local boys, Charlie in E30. So knock yourself out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwof3lnmJE
Then the NASA runoffs in E30.
http://www.speedcast...asa/#/races/302
Then in SM. (#22)
http://www.speedcast...asa/#/races/300
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I agree Pat, but if not for the aerodynamic loss, the chance to move 80 pounds from way up high to way down low is very interesting.

No way the top weighs 80lbs. I think you exaggerated by 2x.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Hmm. It's hard to say exactly why a topless race car is more fun. I guess it's no different than on the street. Driving with the top down is just more fun. I've driven formula cars for years, so that's probably affected me in odd ways, too. :-)

I wonder why the MX-5 pro cars are topless? Someone must've determined it was better for some reason. Fans get to look into the cockpits?

The MX-5 pro cars run without them because when the series began, there were doubts of enough tops available at the beginning of 2006. When I bought my top for our 2006 street car, it was 1of 2 that were in the country at the time.

One other aspect of no top is racing in the rain. The aerodynamics will have the air blow the rain on the inside of the windshield.....not a good time......

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I thought the topless Playboy series (pun intended) was a marketing decision by Mazda.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:49

I thought the topless Playboy series (pun intended) was a marketing decision by Mazda.

That's how I understood it as well. The series wanted you to be able to see the driver in the car, so they took off the roof.

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Mazda was more about keeping the silhouette a 'convertible' since that's what the MX-5 was all about.
Perhaps the issue with hard top availability influenced that decision but I do recall reading they were adamant about keeping that topless profile.

And having the primary sponsor be Playboy certainly helped justify said "topless" decision!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Forrest Landy

Forrest Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Car Number:41
Having no roof on, in the Playboy series at least, makes the draft more apparent as the car punches a bigger hole in the air. This could arguably make the racing a bit closer, however, those armstraps are annoying.

Don't drive like my brother!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Hardtop weighs between 40 and 45 pounds depending upon if it has a headliner and defroster pigtails still attached

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

That's how I understood it as well. The series wanted you to be able to see the driver in the car, so they took off the roof.

With a fire suit and full face helmet on, the crowd can really see the driver so well. ;)

But it sounds better than "Mazda just doesn't have enough tops to go around".

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Car Number:49

With a fire suit and full face helmet on, the crowd can really see the driver so well. ;)

But it sounds better than "Mazda just doesn't have enough tops to go around".

Hey, you don't have to accept the marketing pitch for them to say it.

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Resurrecting a 2012 thread because this is a nagging subject for me.

I'm racing in SM now (and enjoying it).  I've been racing since the 1980's, and 90% of it was without a roof.  To me, racing convertibles is more fun, and less hassle (if not raining).

I'd really like to race SM without a top, and without a significant performance disadvantage.

Two questions:

1)  Is there anyone else interested in pursuing this?  Or am I pretty much alone?

2)  Any ideas regarding how to make a topless car more competitive?

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS.  I don't know exactly how much the disadvantage is.  I don't have any data.  I am assuming it is substantial since I have never seen anyone at a Club Race without a top.  My next race will be at Barber, Labor Day.  I may run topless that weekend as an experiment (but I've never raced SM there, so wont have good comparison data).

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

http://youtu.be/ra_fAMgMu5s

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: convertible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users