SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:01
I have started the process of deciding which radiator to purchase as I have been told my stock radiator will not handle the heat generated on a hot summer day out here in California while drafting.
I think I know what I am looking for which is a 50mm plus thick aluminum radiator.
Anybody have a radiator recommendation which get me the best bang for the buck?
Anyone have any bad experiences with a particular brand or company?
Thanks for the help.
Joshua Fine
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
The thick Koyo has worked well down in SoCal
  • Sergio M likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
cx racing. I believe it is a knock off of the koyo 53. It is on their ebay store for 150 or something cheap. It works great for me.
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999

cx racing. I believe it is a knock off of the koyo 53. It is on their ebay store for 150 or something cheap. It works great for me.

Me too. $130 shipped to my door.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
My 1.6L did fine drafting with a crate motor and the automatic transmission radiator. "Hot" days here in the Northeast were in the 80's to 90's.

That being said when I replaced the motor I replaced the radiator with the big koyo. Lot's of guys have been running those CX's for a year or so now though and speak well of them.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

David Brown

David Brown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Ohio Valley Region
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08
I'll give the CX another vote. Its very well made and the price is unbeatable. If it doesn't do it for you pull it out and sell it for most of what you put into it as they are constantly selling out of them and then waiting for more to arrive. YMMV.

db

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I was looking at the CX from Just-Intercoolers on eBay. It seems like the only beef with the company is they list things not in stock. Anyone know how long the Miata radiators are typically back ordered?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I ordered the Goodspeed 52mm and it is not the same quality as the Koyo i had but it was 1/2 the cost and it looks to be able to get the job done.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Number:01
I went with the cheap CX Racing Ebay radiator. Bought it on the 2nd and got it on the 4th.
The only issues I found with it and they are that it is a good idea to run a tap down the fan mounting bungs. Second I noticed that the top tank of the radiator is not perfectly aligned to the bottom tank. It looks to be about an 1/8" back on the drivers side versus the passenger side, but it is nothing to jump up and down about as the price point was still worth it.
Thanks for the input.
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
I think fluid capacity is more important than the thickness. Ron Davis unit here for that very reason.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
The CX unit is a simple 50mm downflow design.

I would guess the RD is a crossflow unit.
Superior cooling and quality at 4x+ the price.
And with a '99 you can afford to carry all that extra weight. ( :
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I went with the cheap CX Racing Ebay radiator. Bought it on the 2nd and got it on the 4th.
The only issues I found with it and they are that it is a good idea to run a tap down the fan mounting bungs. Second I noticed that the top tank of the radiator is not perfectly aligned to the bottom tank. It looks to be about an 1/8" back on the drivers side versus the passenger side, but it is nothing to jump up and down about as the price point was still worth it.
Thanks for the input.

I noticed the same thing with mine, but have had zero problems with it otherwise.

With a Mazda thermostat my car runs 192* even during June in Houston.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
The brackets crack on my CX Racing. Not fast, but a season of curb smashing makes cracks that grow. I still use them though, since if I get an expensive radiator, I'll promptly smash it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

John Hammer

John Hammer

I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

• SMembers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:NASA SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:08
I ran an OEM equivalent automatic dual core radiator for many years & it worked perfectly, even in a couple of 100 degree Road Atlanta days.

That said, I also have a CX Racing aluminum radiator in there now & I've never seen the car run so cool. And yeah, the price is Panini on PB&J budget.
  • Ken Fahnestock likes this
John "Hammer" Palazzolo
Motorsport Event Facilitator
www.JohnHammer.org
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5
big Koyo with factory thermostat here, been in there for 5 years with no issues whatsoever. It's a middle of the road radiator in price, but really works just as well as the $500+ units, even down in FL. Friends with the Springfield radiator run the same temps as I do.

I felt better going with it rather than a ultra bargain radiator, gotta wonder why they are so cheap right?

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Mark Franklin

Mark Franklin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:RMDIV SCCA (retired)
  • Car Number:#25
I'll vote for the Springfield radiator. Nothing is even close at our altitude (thin air) on very hot days - the true test of radiator. I've also had awesome customer service from SafeRacer and Sam Henry.

Personally, I've tried the Koyo and Ron Davis. The Springfield is about 25-30 degrees cooler than either in the same car.

Mark
Mark Franklin

RMD #25
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
+1 on the Springfield Dyno unit (And SafeRacer!). I need to add tape to get the car up to temp in cooler weather and it handles our 110F Thunderhill scorchers with no problem. It just took a huge rock to the face yesterday at Willow Springs and kept on trucking: http://twitter.com/#...286626952581120
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63
You can get a CXRacing one here for $199:

CXRacing Radiator

I have one in my car and it work fine in the summer at VIR, Summit Main and Summit Shenandoah. I've never seen the dial move.

Dave
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I like the Springfield. I have used the cheaper ones as well but they do lack a certain level of quality and fitment.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Personally, I've tried the Koyo and Ron Davis. The Springfield is about 25-30 degrees cooler than either in the same car.

I have a Ron Davis that came with the car and have the same experience that it cannot cool the car during our hot summers at altitude (Miller Motorsports Park).

Did we ever get reports back on the C&R from this thread?

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users