Jay Lutz

Jay Lutz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:St. Louis
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:33
My friend called me from Road Atlanta last Friday with news of his 140k mile SM gearbox stuck in 5th gear. No complaints but are there any cockpit warning signs of this problem? I wasn't in the car.

Thanks, Jay

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Understand you said stuck in 5th. The same shift fork does reverse and 5th. For a quick check, try this.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
The interlock mechanisms make it impossible for the box to be in more than one gear at once ... thus, a "stuck" box is almost always a result of the shifter "escaping" the shift selectors due to wear.

The solution:

http://youtu.be/UX4eNxaNztc

I love "The King" and his videos! But understand his "fix" is simply putting the box into neutral so that the shifter can be returned to its proper home in the 3-4-Neutral gate ... the true fix is to put in new shift selectors to keep the shifter from "escaping" in the first place.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
It is very common with 1.6 boxes, especially early ones, to get stuck in either 5th or reverse. Reverse being the more common.

First, determine exactly what happened. If it is truely stuck in gear, which gear. Easily let the pedal out and see which direction the car wants to move.

Does the shifter move. Can you also engage 1st or 2nd? If so, put in 1st or second and slowly release the clutch. Car should not move as it will be in 2 gears at the same time.

If it is stuck in 5th/rev. You can remove the back up light switch and using a stubby screwdriver, pop the linkage back into neutral. This will allow the car to be shifted normally. But I recomend rebuild.

There have been numerous updates over the years to cure this exact problem. That is why I have a complete list of the most recent part#s on my website.

If this does not describe your problem, the box will need to be disassembled. You probably have broken the 5th gear hub clutch and possibly twisted the bak section of the cluster shaft.

Assuming a 1.8 diff: By the way, did he have a bad vibration just before the failure. If so, he probably broke the vibration damper on the pinion snout. This will damage 5th gear everytime if it is not addressed right away. This exact issue is what dropped Tom Brown from 7th to 12th at the Runoffs. I have written a letter to CRB requesting to allow this to be removed

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Our cars have 5th gear???
  • Alberto likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Your tracks are to short. :scratchchin:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Our cars have 5th gear???

Short shift, you will find it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gearbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users