19 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
I'm talking about the pair that run along the bottom of the car and are often bent by improperly placed jacks.

I've read about some folks "massaging" them back into their general shape, but they'll get bent again the next time the untrained puts a jack under there. Has anyone "reinforced" them or done something to prevent the unsightly sight of bent rails? I know flyin' miata sells some that I'm sure violate the rules.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Any form of reinforcement would be non-compliant.

Technicly, bent ones would also be non-compliant.

With a roll cage the fram erails are non functional, just ignore the bends.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I'm talking about the pair that run along the bottom of the car and are often bent by improperly placed jacks.

I've read about some folks "massaging" them back into their general shape, but they'll get bent again the next time the untrained puts a jack under there. Has anyone "reinforced" them or done something to prevent the unsightly sight of bent rails? I know flyin' miata sells some that I'm sure violate the rules.

I hate squished framerails and pinch welds, too!

If you have the Harbor Freight "Prybar" kit (like huge screwdrivers with bent tips), the longer one can be worked into the nickel-sized drain holes and you can pull down on framerail's inner surface WHILE hammering on the bulged sides of the frame rail with a sledge hammer (a 2X4 helps in some places and in some places the bare sledge is better). Unless they are REALLY bad, the frame rail will magically "self-heal" back to its original shape while you hammer on it. Then do light taps around the drain holes to get those looking good again. Then spray or brush with black undercoating/bedliner.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

They can also be bent by going off-track over hard curbs or ruts (like T11 before Bridge at Road Atlanta). Not sure how I know about this but I am glad the rails were there to protect the rest of the undercarriage.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I have jacked on the pinch weld continiously on two different Spec Miatas and on a F production Miata whith none of the pinch rails failing/bending in any manner. The rails you talk about are all screwed up, but that's from on track situations.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I have jacked on the pinch weld continiously on two different Spec Miatas and on a F production Miata whith none of the pinch rails failing/bending in any manner. The rails you talk about are all screwed up, but that's from on track situations.

I've bent one of mine even jacking at the prescribed location. Probably due either to being sloppy about how I put the jack under there or accidentally releasing the jack too quick and trying to catch it by locking the jack mechanism as the car fell like a stone. I think he was talking about when people jack from the frame rails and not the pinch weld though.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
I understand he's talking about jacking on the frame rail. My point was, jacking midway between the wheels on the pinch rail works for me on three different chassis.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I understand he's talking about jacking on the frame rail. My point was, jacking midway between the wheels on the pinch rail works for me on three different chassis.

The pinch rail is better, but still bends too easily. The way I jack there is that i have a nice nylon jacking pad, with a little cutout groove for the rail, that I got from JC Whitney 10 years ago.

As for the inner rail, that's just a POS and I still don't understand why anyone would jack it from there. And I admit my desire to straighten it back is purely cosmetic.

As for reinforcement, the only reason is to have a better place to jack it up, nothing more fancy. But now I know how I'm going to win the run-offs, I'm going to protest every car with a bent frame rail! :)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Send a letter, see what you get back, couldn't hurt.
Maybe include how you would. Showing no benefit other than a good jacking point.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
A nice alternate to the previously mentioned jacking pad, that some of us "northerners" use, is a hockey puck with a groove cut out for the frame rail...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The way I jack there is that i have a nice nylon jacking pad, with a little cutout groove for the rail, that I got from JC Whitney 10 years ago.

If I ever notice bending I'll use a similar pad with a groove. Currently the jack has a round aluminum pad with a rubber insert, flex may help.

This is realy a fun subject. Last I looked at the production car rules it was illegal to have an extension from the roll cage extend through body panels for jacking purposes. X number of production cars have this.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

Any form of reinforcement would be non-compliant.

Technicly, bent ones would also be non-compliant.

With a roll cage the fram erails are non functional, just ignore the bends.

Dave

Dave.
I'm crushing mine right now! Do you think there's much of an aero benefit? :)
Rick
  • tony senese likes this

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year