Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
It may just be the that we're all out in the garage prepping for the 2011 season, or perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that our new home of all things zoom-zoom is less active that the "SM only" home of old.

Am I on to something, or is it just the slow time of the year? If I'm correct, what's the reason (IYHO)?
Rick :huh:

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

It may just be the that we're all out in the garage prepping for the 2011 season, or perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that our new home of all things zoom-zoom is less active that the "SM only" home of old.

Am I on to something, or is it just the slow time of the year? If I'm correct, what's the reason (IYHO)?
Rick :huh:

Rick, I think your on to something:)

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Rick, I think your on to something:)

Pat

Hopefully it will catch on soon
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Just missed this and posted "New Website colors".
http://mazdaracers.c..._1890#entry1890
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
I think Rick is on something.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Car Number:60

I think Rick is on something.

Denny:
Any thoughts on why? I'd sure hate to see us loose the benefits so many of the SM crowd enjoyed visiting and swaping our largely unfounded opinions. :D
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Number:45
I just think people haven't figured there way around this site yet.

I know I have to fish around to find certain things,not as cut and dry as the old site!
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
I think it's mostly the familiarity aspect. I'm sure it will take some time. Look at all the users who don't have a pic, still listed as Jr. member, etc. who despite never having met them, you pretty much know who they are, what they do, what their car(s) looks like... Although I see a bunch of people have tried to view my profile, updating it is one more thing at the bottom of my priority list for the time being. Post ratings are pretty much non-existant. I don't link it to my facebook because I have no idea what that actually does/shares.

Some of us aren't the most computer savvy compared to kids who can re-task a satelite using their I-phones. We figured out enough functionality to the old site to do what we needed and nothing more, and have cars to build, lives to live, etc.

Sure could use some better emoticons though. Ones like "duck", "bang head" "flamed" were always fun after a smart ass remark or a garage blunder story. Smash with hammer was a popular one. Things like that seemed to fit the types of threads often found a bit better.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
see below

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Sure could use some better emoticons though. Ones like "duck", "bang head" "flamed" were always fun after a smart ass remark or a garage blunder story. Smash with hammer was a popular one. Things like that seemed to fit the types of threads often found a bit better.

I've mentioned this a least 3 times

People will come around...especially as we get full swing into the season across the country!

JD...still waiting for the "VIDEO ONLY" forum. All threads must have date and track in the title!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
It is 100 times more active than the old site was week one :)

I'm still getting old timers asking why their SM login does not work, and others telling me that the old site is messed up, not working like it use to.

Takes time for a swap like this. Drago hardly comes here, is mainly his fault for being all thumbs on the PC. hehehe

If you set up your side bars to follow the most popular topics you will be plenty busy.

It is a fish and pond thing and the new fish don't know about us..... yet.

I'm very please with the analytics thus far, as expected.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts

JD...still waiting for the "VIDEO ONLY" forum. All threads must have date and track in the title!

I'm a victim of overload too, thanks for the reminder. That request was lost, sorry.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:97
The old site was like a comfortable old pair of shoes, the new one just needs to be worked in, then the old shoes are forgotten.

Plus,the old site help alot of guys get up to speed in SM, so it was the go to place for info. this will be much better in the long run and good for the mazda racing community.

My biggest issue was learning to use this site and all the features.

Thank you JD for the site and all the effort to make Sm what it is.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
Thanks MT, well said! I too am learning it, true beta testing, this baby does it all. For me, is like grabbing my helmet and jumping into the ALMS car. Where is the start button but no doubt it will be fun! One thing I HOPE, we are not outdated in ten years again.... yeah right!

FACEBOOK: = enter your status here, it displays there too exact words. Try it and hit delete on the FB side if it does not work like I described.

For me, when choosing the new software, I wanted it to help as much as possible to lesson the load of my social net happenings.

So, one login (classifieds, media etc.), embedding, custom notifications and added features to be current like external blogs and one stop social net populating capabilities.

Milestones from my point of view.

Record of 76 on line at once is 5 below that of SM.com's recent high when I posted the 1.6 needs help after the Runoffs.
Members from 7 countries week one.
Very good albeit overloading feedback (nearly 200 emails in 4 days with questions, concerns and wish lists)
New members with never before seen IPs (the old site was stagnant for new blood)
Near zero drop in classified.specmiata.com traffic (that is not directed here yet, 1000ish unique IPs a day)
We did not have to hand approve any of the 800+ members (a hour long task daily at the old site).

Anyway, the site is here and waiting for folks if they chose to come. We will do what we love which is what its all about for me, glad to have those that come along and that has been my philosophy since 1999 and the old site.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Rick,

I didn't say I think you're ONTO something. I said I think you're ON something. :P

-Denny

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
FYI - if you google 'Spec Miata', Mazdaracers.com is nowhere to be seen. The old site however is top of the list.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

New members with never before seen IPs (the old site was stagnant for new blood)

There looking up the cost of Chix steel. ;)
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts

Rick,

I didn't say I think you're ONTO something. I said I think you're ON something. :P

-Denny

Yup, lots of work need here mostly time and management of redirects with Google when the time is right.

Right now, working on Mazda Racers in the search engines under anything Mazda Racing and of course Spec Miata.

3rd on URL alone thus far: http://www.google.co...&q=mazda racers

The classifieds will be what generates the most hits, always is for some reason, Careful management of it will be key. Other than commercial use for small branding fees, it will always be free to the racers for posting etc.!

In the summer, a grass roots movement will spring up, class to class, race to race promotions to our fellow Mazda racers.

It's all hell after that lol

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Having been around Spec Miata since the very begining, we originally had a site before SpecMiata.com. It was called racersnetwrok.com. When Specmiata.com started we had the same feelings that are being expressed now. I like the old one better, I don't understand all the new features, where is everyone.

Just like a new cellphone or new tv remote, we will figure it out and learn to love this site just as we did specmiata and racersnetwork in their day.

I am still getting used to the new format, but I can see it will be better in the long run. Thanks to Jim and everybody behind the scenes who made this possible.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It will take time but once everyone gets comfortable I think it'll be fine. Personally I love having the new toys at my disposal, new moderhating abilities, can split threads and a warning system we can track in the software instead of word of mouth. And for you guys the fact the logins are automated makes all of our lives easier. This is a huge step up.
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users