Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Dimes, pennies and cheap vinyl floor tiles make good leveling shims for scales without adjusters. I also always make a diagonal measurements between scales with the level to make sure I'm flat.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Still - it takes less than a minute to check the scales with the standard "jackstands+PVC tubing" water level, so we might be outsmarting ourselves here :)

Saul, you have a plan for your PVC/jackstand level set-up you can share?

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Compact construction Lasers are cheap. Make a target for it. I used a thick piece of angle iron painted black with white pinstripping for lines.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Saul, you have a plan for your PVC/jackstand level set-up you can share?

Sure-

1. Buy or dedicate two cheap jackstands to the cause, and use a Sharpie to make a mark in some obvious place (or use the top edge of the jackstand post if they are the same height). Make sure the marks are at the same exact height.

2. Buy 15-20 feet of 0.5"-ish diameter clear PVC tubing. If you try to use tiny tubing you will end up with a sloppy meniscus line or inaccuracy from too much friction.

3. Tie-wrap the tubing up the legs and post of the jackstand - tight, but loose enough you can pull it through when needed.

4. Safely "suck" windshield washer fluid into the line so you have no bubbles. I use WW fluid instead of H20 because it is easier to see, has a more accurate meniscus line, and it doesn't freeze in the winter.

5. Pull the tube through the tie wraps until you are happy with the slack, adjust the fluid level to match the Sharpie marks, etc. Leave enough "standpipe" in the PVC above the jackstand so you can walk across the garage and store the level on a shelf without getting fluid all over the place.

6. If all the pads are within one meniscus line/Sharpie mark of each other, I call it good and get on with things.

7. Bullseye bubble levels on the scale pads themselves to make sure they are level.

I'll take a picture when I get a chance.

I love lasers for alignment, but I just don't get the laser leveling systems - they take a granite surface (ooh, ahh!), and put a laser on it (ooh, ahh!), but you are still using a bubble level (invented in 1920!) to level the fancy granite in order to shoot the fancy laser out to the 4 corners. So - you are still limited by the accuracy of a bubble, but then you magnify it's innacuracy by shooting the laser out a few feet to the scale pad. The hillbilly/Mayan/Egyptian/Roman water level is more accurate? :noidea:
  • Glenn likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Dimes, pennies

Yeah, but you have that extra cash, we don't :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Yeah, but you have that extra cash, we don't :)

'94-'97 cars are cheaper. Not as competitive of course but cheaper.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

The hillbilly/Mayan/Egyptian/Roman water level is more accurate? :noidea:

Yup. Same reason I use a dangling monofilament line for camber. Gravity never needs calibrating.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
In the college next door (where they train racing techs), they teach to get the scales relative to each other first, then make fine adjustment across each pad.

They use a long angle iron and lay it across two diagnoally (eg: LF & RR) , use a bubble to get it to zero. make adjustments on each pad to ensure that each is flat, and the check front to back, right to left and across again with bubble. When all is dead nuts, you're all set.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

In the college next door (where they train racing techs), they teach to get the scales relative to each other first, then make fine adjustment across each pad.

They use a long angle iron and lay it across two diagnoally (eg: LF & RR) , use a bubble to get it to zero. make adjustments on each pad to ensure that each is flat, and the check front to back, right to left and across again with bubble. When all is dead nuts, you're all set.

Introduce them to a water level and have them check their "dead nuts". :scratchchin:

One may totally do their weight scale setup with a water level. Level scales and all scales in a singular plane.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
IDK, I guess not accurate enough, but how about an Altitude app on your phone?
http://androidapp.li...d.altitude.html
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

IDK, I guess not accurate enough, but how about an Altitude app on your phone?
http://androidapp.li...d.altitude.html
J~

Looking at the app a couple things bother me.

A. Can not measure the height of buildings.

B. If you like altitude, please consider the option of making a donation to support the development.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Just thinking match alt.
.XX in ft I guess is not enough.
If I did, I'd be selling the app. Prob need a Gov. Sat as well.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
High quality scale stands work best.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

They make a tool specific for leveling scale pads

the best one i have found is this, and can be easliy made DIY though this one is only ~ $20.

http://www.speedwaym...-Hose,2702.html

it has marks on the cylinders which i do not trust, nor do i need to; what i do is put both tubes on the same pad, use a zip tie on each cylinder that is snug but can be moved up or down on the cylinder. set them both the same height with the amount of water in the tubes and all air burped out. make sure that you view the air bubble the same way each time( from same angle, with same eye etc.) and this thing is super easy and accurate.
this is now your level height for all the scale pads. leave one tube on the first pad that is already leveled with the carpenters level. now just move the second tube to the next pad. since all 4 pads were already leveled using a carpenters level, you can now just go around and raise/lower each pad to be = to the first one. turn each corner of the pad leveler the same amount and the pad stays level as its raised/lowered.

Josh
  • Anthony Ralston likes this
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
I ordered one on Wed and got it today. Nice piece for $25. It solves a problem with which I have been dealing for years. Thanks, Josh.
wheel

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
I have had one for years.

It's great! But I found it slow to respond some times, so I drilled and tapped it for bigger hose nipples and replumbed it with some 3/8 hose.

I like it even better now.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Steve,
I'll keep that in mind. I am a little slow to respond, too, so I'm sure it will be fine with little nipples and small tube.

wheel

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I ordered one on Wed and got it today. Nice piece for $25. It solves a problem with which I have been dealing for years. Thanks, Josh.
wheel

Is it "tippy"? Does it seem like it would survive some dropping or trailer thrashing? What do they give you or recommend for fluid?

And finally / most importantly - what should I do with myself if I am going to be in KC for 6 weeks for business?

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star

Is it "tippy"? Does it seem like it would survive some dropping or trailer thrashing? What do they give you or recommend for fluid?

And finally / most importantly - what should I do with myself if I am going to be in KC for 6 weeks for business?

They're made of plastic, fairly resiliant. I store mine in the box they came in.
They suggest water and include some dye pellets. WW fluid would work. A drop of soap in the water to break the tension helps.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
The old site archives has all this in detail.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users