Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
I was replacing some old rear upper bushings, and after pressing the new ones in, some of them seem to be in there a little crooked. Has anyone else run into this? If so, did you redo them or did they shift and straighten once you drove?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I was replacing some old rear upper bushings, and after pressing the new ones in, some of them seem to be in there a little crooked. Has anyone else run into this? If so, did you redo them or did they shift and straighten once you drove?

I'm struggling with how that could even happen. Did you push them in dry?

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it - every time I do bushings, the car needs some time for them to "settle". The first alignment never stays very stable when new bushings are involved.

I hear of lots of weird stuff used to push in bushings - the best I've found is P-80 assembly lube, because it is designed to completely dry up so that the rubber can stick soon after installation.

I use it to mount tires, too - I tried all the other stuff, and P-80 is better than anything I've used, in terms of low(er) seating pressure while also not ever moving on the rim under braking. (Anyone else remember Pro Miata Cup Hankooks that took 60+ psi to seat???)

I use P-80 Emulsion and P-80 THIX. Once you have it in your shop, you'll wonder what you did without it. Anytime you are putting rubber on something and are afraid of using the wrong grease or assembly lube, just use this. Brake seals, injector o-rings, anything. It always works, it never stains or screws anything up, and it is compatible with everything, biodegradeable, etc. Great stuff.

No affiliation with the people - I just picked up a sample at the SAE show years ago, and have been using it ever since.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Ah ok, I was using hairspray, but the reason they went crooked is I was using the collars that came with the harbor freight C clamp press. The smallest collar doesn't work very well for the rear uppers. I might have to find a piece of pipe or something if I want them straighter.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Ah ok, I was using hairspray, but the reason they went crooked is I was using the collars that came with the harbor freight C clamp press. The smallest collar doesn't work very well for the rear uppers. I might have to find a piece of pipe or something if I want them straighter.

I forgot hairspray even existed. Can it still be used as a flamethrower, or have jackbooted government thugs rounded that all up and replaced it with something "safer"?

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

I'm struggling with how that could even happen. Did you push them in dry?

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it - every time I do bushings, the car needs some time for them to "settle". The first alignment never stays very stable when new bushings are involved.

I hear of lots of weird stuff used to push in bushings - the best I've found is P-80 assembly lube, because it is designed to completely dry up so that the rubber can stick soon after installation.

I use it to mount tires, too - I tried all the other stuff, and P-80 is better than anything I've used, in terms of low(er) seating pressure while also not ever moving on the rim under braking. (Anyone else remember Pro Miata Cup Hankooks that took 60+ psi to seat???)

I use P-80 Emulsion and P-80 THIX. Once you have it in your shop, you'll wonder what you did without it. Anytime you are putting rubber on something and are afraid of using the wrong grease or assembly lube, just use this. Brake seals, injector o-rings, anything. It always works, it never stains or screws anything up, and it is compatible with everything, biodegradeable, etc. Great stuff.

No affiliation with the people - I just picked up a sample at the SAE show years ago, and have been using it ever since.

Brakeclean; gotta work quick, though. While wet, parts slip together. Dries quickly, leaves very little residue and is safe for rubber. Works well for rubber hoses, too.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
http://www.harborfre...icles-4065.html
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Saul...can you provide a link for the products you are speaking of?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Saul...can you provide a link for the products you are speaking of?

http://www.ipcol.com...P-80 Lubricants

The last time I ordered some, the sales lady was way confused. I think she was hoping I was Ford or Nabisco. When I told her I just used the stuff around the house and garage, she was truly perplexed.

They'll send you samples, but they are very small.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

http://www.ipcol.com...P-80+Lubricants

The last time I ordered some, the sales lady was way confused. I think she was hoping I was Ford or Nabisco. When I told her I just used the stuff around the house and garage, she was truly perplexed.

They'll send you samples, but they are very small.

FWIW, I buy the 6-pack of pint bottles for $40 or so. Has lasted me years.

http://www.ipcol.com/shopexd.asp?id=16

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
I've used liquid hand soap
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Ok, fixed it. I use the collar that's too big for getting them out, then use a socket that's a little too small behind the control arm but supports it evenly for pressing in.

Use liberal amounts of hairspray.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
P-80, single tube, $6, eBay, "Buy-It-Now"

http://www.ebay.com/...=item255637e78c
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

P-80, single tube, $6, eBay, "Buy-It-Now"

http://www.ebay.com/...=item255637e78c

Just ordered it. Damn, I love this site!
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year