• 93 posts
  • Region:NEO
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:76
?
FROM

January, 2013 – Version 2013.2
NASA Spec Miata® Challenge

.11.2. Balancing and Lightening: Lightening of engine parts and engine components is not
permitted. Balancing of Crankshaft and Flywheel is permitted; minimum weights listed in
these rules must be maintained.

12.1.4. Crankshaft: The stock Mazda Miata crankshaft must be used with no modifications
allowed, as shown in the following table, which also displays minimum weights (not
including pilot bearing or hardware).

is it just me being a newbie or is this a contradiction?

Chris

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
it is really simple... you can read rules till your blue in the face. I and others gave you some good advice in your other threads. Send your engine to someone that specializes in SM engine building. They know the rules, they know what will and wont pass tech, theyknow what is and isnt inforcable so forth and so on... Those engine builders reputation rides on building engines that will pass the teardown...

Rules often seem contadictary at least to me, that is why knowledge and experience is KING.

here is a list I know of:

East Street (obviously my builder of choice)
Stewart Indianapolis (have had many friends with great stewart power)
Race Engineering ( Bob is a good guy)
Ti-Speed (Dan is another good guy)
Nelson Engines (Skip Crockobile sure has a good engine from there)
Rosini ( Danny's guy)
Autotechnik ( Jeff normaly only builds for those who race under his tent)
I am sure there are others I have missed...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
"Could" be an offical from NASA could answer your question.

I "could" read the two rules and answer your question, but I "could" be wrong
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
While I am not a NASA official, I have have been the NASA SM Chief of Tech for the last few years.

What that says, as I read it. The Crankshaft and the Flywheel have to meet minimum weights as posted. However you can balance the assembly the same way the factory did SO LONG AS your parts do not fall below the minimum posted weight. The factory did balance these parts. You may choose to balance it to a tighter tolerance within the weight limits allowed.
  • john mueller and Armando Ramirez like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

While I am not a NASA official, I have have been the NASA SM Chief of Tech for the last few years.

What that says, as I read it. The Crankshaft and the Flywheel have to meet minimum weights as posted. However you can balance the assembly the same way the factory did SO LONG AS your parts do not fall below the minimum posted weight. The factory did balance these parts. You may choose to balance it to a tighter tolerance within the weight limits allowed.

I like where Mike is headed with this thinking... Regardless, I'll get it cleaned-up soon along with the NA Diff.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chris Ashcraft

Chris Ashcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:NEO
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:76
Mike,
Thanks for the explanation..very well put!
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users