Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Cheap entainment (on TV) so I watch, but I watch most racing.

Ok, Danica's got some 1sts, first women to get pole in Nationwide at Daytona, now 1st women in Cup.

Ya nothing special, she doen't drive aggressive IMO, so I don't see her winning unless a fuel milage race like in Indy Japan.

How about Darrel Walace Jr. forth Black driver.

Well the cars get better looking.

Ya DVR and blast through the ads.

Good for a nap on the weekend during the middle.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I watched and Indy car race at Chicagoland Speedway a few years ago.  Dan Weldon won I believe in what was then the closest finish ever, literally a photo finish.  Danica until near the end of that race was right in the thick of it and watching those cars dice at 220+ on an oval inches apart was breathtaking.  I think she can drive but so can many others at that level.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Cheap entainment (on TV) so I watch, but I watch most racing.

Ok, Danica's got some 1sts, first women to get pole in Nationwide at Daytona, now 1st women in Cup.

Ya nothing special, she doen't drive aggressive IMO, so I don't see her winning unless a fuel milage race like in Indy Japan.

How about Darrel Walace Jr. forth Black driver.

Well the cars get better looking.

Ya DVR and blast through the ads.

Good for a nap on the weekend during the middle.

J~

I came across "Bubba" Wallace when he about eleven and was driving a Bandalaro car. I figured with that perfect NASCAR nick name, his ethnicity, the Wallace family name, and at that time a reputed $50K Penske sponsorship going into Legend cars, he might just have a shot at auditioning for the big time.

Rick  

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Number:3
Is it just me or do these cars all look the same going down the track just like the gen 5 cars? Oh thats right ,nascar is North American Spec Car Association Racing group! I really like the fake tailpipe decals,NICE !!!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

never much of a nascar fan until the last 4-5 years. I have a whole new respect for those guys

Jim

• MPR22 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56

never much of a nascar fan until the last 4-5 years. I have a whole new respect for those guys

Jim

Respect for all NASCAR Boys and Girl…….

Danica at Road America last year, Awesome…Nation Wide...

Girl can wheel a car on the road course.…

• Chris Fulton and Blake Thompson like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I used yo watch NASCAR religiously from the early 80s to the mid 90s. That to me was the good old days, when the interviews on TV were fun to watch or the showed someone giving at attitude adjustment to another driver. It may be me but its not as much fun to watch today.

That is not to say that it's not competitive. When they start racing in the rain like everyone else, then maybe my respect meter may jump up a bit.
  • Chris Fulton likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

To may experts thinking with their little heads within this thread so I'll leave well enough alone, almost.

Moose, Tom, Jim & Todd, you all make way to much sense. 

I've known the Danica since she was 9 ish racing WKA Karts along with Hornish and others.

I watched her at the Mile in Indy cars come from 19th to 5th-6th in a hurry. Another time at the Mile she was inside one of the Euro boys attempting to take the lead entering T1 and he cut down/touched on her right front wheel, she looped 360*, never stoped and continued. When Danny S. did this at Indy you all stood and cheered, granted he won the race. Yes, I'm sure Indy cars gave her something the drivers with big balls didn't have.

My only comment from observations is that she needs to make better decisions during races. My belief is that Stewart and her new crew chief will be fantastic mentors. Let's all talk at the end of the 2013 racing season.  :wave2:

• Blake Thompson likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What makes you a fan of a driver or at least you want to follow.

What makes up your driver ?

Driver that has skills

Driver that doesn't but learns

Driver with great equipment

One that makes the most of what they have.

Underdog, overdog, gender, race.

Relatability

or the other way around, what makes you not a fan.

You got, Awsome, I've followed her since she was little all the way to, smells like fish and wants to see her on a pole.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I'd listen to her interviews all day long compared to the HillBilly she drove for in Nation Wide last year. The boy can't even talk say nothing about thinking. Why dosen't he get the job done, after all he has the genes, or is it the last name.

Ya thunk maybe he was one of her issues last year?

We'll see by the end of 2013.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Oh the interviews....

question asked..

If their wearing a hat, they lean into to camera showing the sponsor as if their listening.

Don't really answer the question and say...

My sponsor, sponsor, sponsor, car #, car MFG was _____

another question...

takes sip of sponsor drink and takes off or puts on sponsored sun glasses.

I'd like to thank my crew and the guys at the shop for making my Engine MFG so fast. :whistling:

At least you get in Rolex "hi to my family at home" :thumbsup: point at camera. :rotfl:

J~

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Number:3
johanna long !

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Nationwide -  nice shot of the engine sitting on the walkway in the grandstands.  Hope everyone is ok, although one tire went about 20 rows up into the seats.  Bad deal.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

What makes you a fan of a driver or at least you want to follow.

What makes up your driver ?

Driver that has skills

Driver that doesn't but learns

Driver with great equipment

One that makes the most of what they have.

Underdog, overdog, gender, race.

Relatability

or the other way around, what makes you not a fan.

You got, Awsome, I've followed her since she was little all the way to, smells like fish and wants to see her on a pole.

J~

Definitely like underdogs or drivers that overcome obstacles or long odds.  To put it in SM terms, I became a Chip Van V fan when he rolled his car in qualifying at the June Sprints a few years ago, banged out every panel and changed the windshield and then blew the motor in Q2. He had my beloved crew Mike up half the night changing a motor and then finished something like 4th in the race after starting DFL.    

Rusty Wallace was my favorite NASCAR driver after seeing him as an unknown at the first NASCAR race at Watkins Glen in the 80's.   As I recall he battled the big teams all day and nearly won but had a problem toward the end of the race.  Nobody knew who the heck he was then and he droves the wheels off the car that day.  Given that it was on a road course I became an instant fan.  For similar reasons I always root for Boris Said and Ron Fellows when they run the road course events.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

On air today Biffle sounded like he was using his little head for thinking with respect to Danica's pit out and he talked it out on his radio.

Danica Daytona results after her 11th Nation Wide start.

First NASCAR pole position for a lady, check that.

Best NASCAR finish ever for a lady driver 8th, check that.

Ran in the top 10 all day, mostly in the top 5, Check that.

Observations:

1st pit stop, crew lost her 2 seconds.

Car bobble at what may well have been a thought of lane change, nothing lost.

Later pit stop, pitted with 2nd group, restarted 9th, lost 6 spots.

Requires pit exit experience, spinnig tires way to much, loosing positions at pit out.

Some place along the way she'll need to do a check if the boys will play nice when she pulls out of line at plate tracks as per the last 2 laps today. Or she needs to whack the car ahead of her (grow a set) to send a message if crew chiefs are not talking. Part of the learning process for the first seriously good lady in NASCAR.   :twocents:

Danica, fantastic job. :thumbsup:

It should be interesting the next few weeks at a couple shorter tracks and then Bristol.

• Blake Thompson likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

very boring race.  Kenseth looked to be the car to beat, sad he went out. 

First great job by Danica... Seemed to run a pretty mistake free race. She was smart to basically ride around in line. Other than a very select few, anyone who moved out of line went to the back. 

Second.. who gives a shit about first lady this and that? Until they start giving out points for first lady anything, who cares? I doubt she does. The ones who do care is the media, go daddy and some of the fans. As far as "the Boys" going with her? Well, when she gains experience and "the Boys" feel like they will improve their position going with her, they will go with her... And not until, just like any other Rookie.  I think she is treated "equally" as a driver by the male drivers.  

• Ron Alan and Armando Ramirez like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Kind of reminded me of a few SM races in which everyone stays in line afraid to take a chance and get shuffled back :duck:  Was obvious after that last lap passing could be done...but wasn't worth the risk before that. Danica went from 3rd to 8th in 2 corners!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Second.. who gives a shit about first lady this and that?

Until they start giving out points for first lady anything, who cares? I doubt she does.

The ones who do care is the media, go daddy and some of the fans. As far as "the Boys" going with her?

Well, when she gains experience and "the Boys" feel like they will improve their position going with her, they will go with her... And not until, just like any other Rookie.  

What, now your a Doctor of sociology. :spin:  Or is it Drago put down. :banana:

My info would seem to be factual as I viewed action on the track, while yours is opinion. Seems as tho Gordon had great gains drafting with a rookie at Daytona a year or two ago.:bigsquaregrin:

Read between the lines in the last sentence of my previous post. I suspect she'll get her butt kicked big time when off the plate tracks.  

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Anyone think Jimmie broke his splitter off on purpose after the race? ;)

• Jim Drago and DrDomm like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users