13 replies to this topic

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994

A new local SM racer just bought a '94 Miata he's planning on doing DEs and then racing with it next year.  It came with a hardtop made by Kirkland.  However the hardtop has a fabric cover like a tonneau cover but made to look like a convertible top.  It looks very similar to OEM as the rear window looks the same size and it's glass and wraps around the side, it's made of fiberglass and mounts to the stock hardtop location.  I've never heard of this brand and can't find anything on Google.  I figure it will be ok to run even if he removes the fabric and then preps and paints it to make it a proper color.  I'm not even sure what a stock OEM hardtop weighs if we can pull it off to weigh it.

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Unfortunately the rules state either the factory Mazda hardtop or the aftermarket Snugtop.

(don't have the GCR right in front of me at the moment)

He'll have to pick-up one of those brand's tops to be "legal".

There are a number of alternatives on the market now but the rules requiring either/or is what seems to make those worth their weight in gold.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

A new local SM racer just bought a '94 Miata he's planning on doing DEs and then racing with it next year.  It came with a hardtop made by Kirkland.  However the hardtop has a fabric cover like a tonneau cover but made to look like a convertible top.  It looks very similar to OEM as the rear window looks the same size and it's glass and wraps around the side, it's made of fiberglass and mounts to the stock hardtop location.  I've never heard of this brand and can't find anything on Google.  I figure it will be ok to run even if he removes the fabric and then preps and paints it to make it a proper color.  I'm not even sure what a stock OEM hardtop weighs if we can pull it off to weigh it.

The name is spelled kirklin. They were made for only two years in the early nineties. Mazda oem glass is used and the dimensions are almost exact to factory. The rear chrome latches are of a different design along with how the outer shell is formed.

I doubt highly anyone would ever notice unless I was there.....lol

An old ad for one can be found here:

http://www.scsportsc...-Flat-Black-799

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Pretty sure the rule is OEM hardtop or No top at all.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Snug top was added 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Snug top was added 

No it was not.  Maybe in some regional sups somewhere.

The GCR and the national ruleset is clear.  Factory Mazda hardtop or none.  Let me quote for you:

e. Convertible tops and attaching hardware shall be completely removed. Cars may compete with the Mazda factory detachable hard top in place (latches shall be replaced with positive fasteners), but it is not mandatory. When no top is used, driver shall wear arm restraints, and the cage will meet the helmet clearance rule. It is allowed to attach the hard top to the upper windshield bar of the roll cage.

• Blake Thompson likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA