Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Not the way it has been around here, some guys pull the restrictors, add an intake and run as an ITA or ITS car. We are a 1.6 so we just run it as a Spec Miata with different tires.

I get this a lot!!  

Miatas can run in STL in the following configurations..

Completely in SM trim and weight and run just like in SM.. For a 99, that is with plate and 2400 lbs..

STL trim which is 2560 and meet the STL rules

IT trim.. In IT trim the cars MUST be completely legal in IT, so for a 99 miata that is 2385 and NO power or depowered steering racks.. Must be true MANUAL or you are non compliant for the class and most IT guys know this.  Also 90/93 Miatas CA NOT run Torsen swaps and be legal in IT..

So if you see a 99 Up miata in STL it better have a plate and be 2400 lbs.. or have a manual steering gear which is about $600 from Mazda. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

The BMW/Miata incident took so long to develop, I would have assumed the BMW was conceding the corner.  He had every opportunity to avoid that contact...just didn't pay attention.  His bad.

One thing about that corner, it's over 180* and goes dramatically uphill.  A common line for heavy cars is to hang out midtrack and then take an apex at the end.

WSIR_TRACK_MAP.jpg

It's a very screwy and very wonderful track.

None of these lines are the SM line.

• Blake Thompson likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I get this a lot!!  

Completely in SM trim and weight and run just like in SM.. For a 99, that is with plate and 2400 lbs..

IT trim.. In IT trim the cars MUST be completely legal in IT, so for a 99 miata that is 2385 and NO power or depowered steering racks.. Must be true MANUAL or you are non compliant for the class and most IT guys know this.  Also 90/93 Miatas CA NOT run Torsen swaps and be legal in IT..

So if you see a 99 Up miata in STL it better have a plate and be 2400 lbs.. or have a manual steering gear which is about $600 from Mazda. 

Jim - thanks for clearing this up - there has been a lot of confusion regarding this. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

I get this a lot!!  

This is correct. I just went over these rules with the Tech Inspector at Roebling BEFORE the STL race so we would all be compliant. There is more than one way to skin an STL cat. Just pulling the plate and running under ITS rules or running SM puts a Miata at a disadvantage to a fully prepped STL car; however, at Roebling the driving skills of Steyn and Tisseront allowed them to leave a prepped STL car far behind.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I actually agree that hitting the pothole that started the inside curbing jumped the miata into the BMW.  It lost grip and had moved a tire width or two.  I didn't think the BMW was closing the door.  It was good close racing.  Was there penalties from the stewards or a protest?

99's are not allowed to pull their restrictor plate and run STL, unless they then comply to 100% of the STL rules (weight formula etc).  They are supposed to run in SM trim exactly....

And by the way, BMW's fault.  He is racing with a miata, what does he expect?  SM's pass everywhere.

That's true if you claim SM as your root class.    But, everything done to a SM is legal in IT (s or a) so if you claim an IT class you can pull restrictor and change air box.  The only caveat is you have to make IT weight, which for the 94-97 went to 2460.  (Where the hell did that come from btw?? :bs: )  The 99's are at 2375 in ITS.

EDIT:  Wow answer the phone a few times and there are 3 more posts before I hit save... hmm... 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

What was the Stewards official reasoning? Based on my interpretation of SCCA rules the BMW didn't leave you room...tried to take his normal line but you were there. You may have dropped a wheel and got loose but only because you had to. NASA you would be at fault.

Just my  :twocents: which isn't worth a nickel usually!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I get this a lot!!  

Hey Jim,

I had to re-read the 90/93 diff comment.  Any LSD is legal, (and final drive) but yes the housing swap would be updating/backdating between spec lines. 

However, this should be in a rules cleanup, as so many things are, under the category of more reliability without performance gain.

I disagree on the power steering racks.  I think it is allowed in the rules as written.

my .02  :cheers:

Kyle

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I think the STL discussion is a good one, and maybe should be moved to the main forum under its own thread. 

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Hey Jim,

I had to re-read the 90/93 diff comment.  Any LSD is legal, (and final drive) but yes the housing swap would be updating/backdating between spec lines. 

However, this should be in a rules cleanup, as so many things are, under the category of more reliability without performance gain.

I disagree on the power steering racks.  I think it is allowed in the rules as written.

my .02  :cheers:

Kyle

I think the general attitude in the IT community is that SM can go f* itself with a rusty spoon, so I wouldn't count on any reliability rule changes.

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

There's an IT community? :P

• Blake Thompson and Rob Burgoon like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joey Jordan

Joey Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SO CAL
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

What was the Stewards official reasoning?]

The guy in the BMW protested me and I appealed it and lost probably cause the other guy is a lawyer and I'm just a 19 year old punk kid :) What they told me was that it is the passer's job to make sure they have a safe pass and the fact that I had to drop a wheel means it was an unsafe pass. I told them when I initially made the pass I wasn't planning on going off track I was forced off track.... They didn't see it that way.
Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner -

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I actually agree that hitting the pothole that started the inside curbing jumped the miata into the BMW.  It lost grip and had moved a tire width or two.  I didn't think the BMW was closing the door.  It was good close racing.  Was there penalties from the stewards or a protest?

That's true if you claim SM as your root class.    But, everything done to a SM is legal in IT (s or a) so if you claim an IT class you can pull restrictor and change air box.  The only caveat is you have to make IT weight, which for the 94-97 went to 2460.  (Where the hell did that come from btw?? :bs: )  The 99's are at 2375 in ITS.

EDIT:  Wow answer the phone a few times and there are 3 more posts before I hit save... hmm... 

I was not saying anything about any IT rules.  I don't know them at all.

I was making a comment based on the post I quoted which said 99's were pulling the restrictor, changing the intake and running STL.  I only clarified if they due this they must be 100% compliant with the STL ruleset  (meaning NOT 2400#).  They can't just pull the restrictor and be SM trim and weight.  (As Jim clarified a few posts up)

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA