powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:145
Is this a correction or a change that presents a performance improvement opportunity?

Spec Miata
1. #10358 (SM Committee) Increase throat depth allowance on 1.8l heads
In section 9.1.7.C.1.f.4, change the maximum throat depth column specification in the table for 1.8l engine as follows:
9mm 12mm
Move the table from section 9.1.7.C.1.f.4, to 9.1.7.C.1.f.3.

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

It's a conspiracy to once again put the 1.6 back in its' place  :spin:

• Glenn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Yes it's a conspiracy to squash the 1.6L forever!

No really, I'll take (part) of the "blame" for this rule change.  I measure the FACTORY plunge cut depth of every port in every cylinder head I build.  Out of 12 heads, I had 4 heads that had at least one port that was cut from the factory greater than 9mm before I had even started cutting!  I even had a couple outliers that were as high as 14mm.  In the SMAC committee we decided that it made sense to open the 1.8L plunge cut depths to the same value as the 1.6L due to the high probability of someone being falsely found non-compliant for running factory equipment.  

Here is a sample photo of a factory (unmodified) head with a plunge cut greater than 9mm.  This one happens to be 11mm.  Before this rule change I could not use this head even though it was completely fine in every other way.  

2wcmsr9.jpg

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Is this a correction or a change that presents a performance improvement opportunity?

Spec Miata
1. #10358 (SM Committee) Increase throat depth allowance on 1.8l heads
In section 9.1.7.C.1.f.4, change the maximum throat depth column specification in the table for 1.8l engine as follows:
9mm 12mm
Move the table from section 9.1.7.C.1.f.4, to 9.1.7.C.1.f.3.

This change was made to include so many of the heads that were non compliant from Mazda. The change replicates the existing rule in the 1.6 heads. 

I have many calls about " do I need to send my head back to be updated" ABSOLUTELY NOT! There is no gain going down the 12mm, if anything it is detrimental as it slows the air charge. However it does make many of the heads usable that were not before. Also, the heads are no longer available new, so we only have what is out there right now.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

This change was made to include so many of the heads that were non compliant from Mazda. The change replicates the existing rule in the 1.6 heads. 

I have many calls about " do I need to send my head back to be updated" ABSOLUTELY NOT! There is no gain going down the 12mm, if anything it is detrimental as it slows the air charge. However it does make many of the heads usable that were not before. Also, the heads are no longer available new, so we only have what is out there right now.

Jim

Agreed... I have my custom SERDI tooling is still set to only cut to the 9mm depth, and I've known this change was coming since November  (REF TOPIC: The dreaded tech shed – PASS / FAIL tooling that we can all use and understand).   When you start going deeper you just end up cutting a big pocket in the runner which would actually hurt performance.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Any comment on Rob B's rewrite of "Race Starts" ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Any comment on Rob B's rewrite of "Race Starts" ?

J~

The new version may have been inspired by my letter, but it sure doesn't resemble anything I wrote.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Jim

Sorry I asked. :buried:

Thanks Jim that was the answer I was looking for.

Steve

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

if these changes dont effect performance, AND I dont need to spend the $ to replace the head i just bought last year; then why are people complaining?

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I killed anything that didn't have to do with the topic. I will start another parity thread for you guys to play with

Jim

• Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users