WMR presents "The Majors at MIS' 5/25, 5/26

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Registration will open at noon on 3/23 for this event. Yes, it was open (hidden) for 20 minutes or so today (3/22) so it could be beta tested (we didn't want a COTA situation) but a couple of folks snuck in anyway. Oh well....the best laid plans, right?

Event information (in car video, track map, hotel info, etc.) can be found at {C}http://www.wmr-scca.org/club_index.php{C}

Registration can be found at {C}http://www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com/{C}

Due to a myriad of reasons, we are limiting entries to 240 cars. This is a first year event and we didn't want to try to bite off too much of the apple. We've seen what can happen. We are allowed 55 per race group. We will wiat list entrants if it comes to that.

Also due to limited paddock space, we are using MSR to allow folks to select their paddock spots. This was a cumbersome process so the registration for the event and the selection of parking was beroken into two separate registration processes. There are directions online but, at first, it was kind of confusing (hence the beta testing).

So this is how it'll work. Step #1 is to register for the race (click on the "drivers" event) and step #2 is to select the "parking options" event. We have 64 RV spots ($25 for the weekend), 60 garage spots ($100 without adjacent trailer parking or $150 with adjacent trailer parking) and over 150 paddock spots (all free). During all of this you will only select an RV zone, garage or paddock zone to park in. We will assign you a spot upon your arrival at the track as you complete your registration. The reason is simple. We need to load these zones in a specific order. Some of these zones are tight and we don't want the first rig to block the rest of the zone's access. So the end result is this....if you want to paddock next to somebody, then you have two options. You and your neighbor can arrive at the same time OR make arrangements with the registrar ahead of time.

I know this sounds kind of tricky but bear with us as this is a first year event. If you have any questions, email me (frameh@msu.edu) and I will try and get to it as soon as possible. As you can probably understand, I will be quite busy today and tomorrow.

Dayle

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Dayle, Can two drivers share the 'two days, one car, one class' fee? Thanks.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

Jerry may need to chime in here, but I intend to run the Regional Champs Series this year.  I heard mention last year of driver ineligibility for Champs Series if they have too many national points.  I would like to race this event, but it is the only National that I intend to run.  

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I signed up. I always wanted to drive that track. Paddock looks friendly, someone will have to point out decent restaruants please.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I may see if i can ship our spare car up to Novak and run with you guys.  Might be fun

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
i might attend i always wanted to race on a roval

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

It should be something new for most of the crowd. The track is all fresh pavement and the fun part--no one has raced on it, so everyone should have a fighting chance...

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

So... I used to make an annual trip to Charlotte to race the "June Jam". That event was cancelled because not enough people wanted to race rovals. What a difference 6 years makes. :scratchchin:

Anywho - any word on sharing a car?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Dayle, Can two drivers share the 'two days, one car, one class' fee? Thanks.

No.....we get charged by the car and the driver by HQ so each one of you can enter the event for a single day.

Dayle

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Well registration opened and things have gone pretty smoothly.  Big crowwd in SM....good work folks.

We have 60+ cars entered (of our 240 max) and the primo paddock spaces and garages are going quickly so sign up as soon as you can. 

For some reasion the event doesn't show up on the MSR page when folks search for it.  By pass that headache and go to.....

wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com

....to register.  Once there, click on the 'register' button next to the 'drivers'  option and follow the directions.  Once you're done there, go back to the same link and choose 'paddock options' so you can choose where you want to paddock.  You don't have to do both at the same time.  Confer with your friends and figure out what paddock zone you'd like to park in and then go back and finish the paddock portion.

I work from home and can monitor this while I'm in the office.  Please let me know if you have any questions (frameh@msu.edu).  I'll be more than happy to help out.

Dayle

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Jerry may need to chime in here, but I intend to run the Regional Champs Series this year.  I heard mention last year of driver ineligibility for Champs Series if they have too many national points.  I would like to race this event, but it is the only National that I intend to run.  

Jerry may not be up to messing with computers.  He had a pretty serious troke a couple of months back. 

As I am on the GLDiv RCS committee, I'll answer your question.  Yes, there is a limit on how many national point you can accrue before making yourself ineligible for RCS consaideration.  I'm not sure what that value is.  The rules are on the GLDiv site.

Back to the thread....

Dayle

David Brown

David Brown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Ohio Valley Region
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I believe the total is 12 national points will make you ineligible for placing in the Great Lakes Regional Champ Series. I don't have the rules in front of me though. 2013 rules should be officially published soon. As Dayle mentioned Jerry Cabe is dealing with some medical issues and that has pushed us back a bit on publishing as we need his input!

Dave Brown

GLDiv RCS Chairman

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Jerry may not be up to messing with computers.  He had a pretty serious troke a couple of months back. 

As I am on the GLDiv RCS committee, I'll answer your question.  Yes, there is a limit on how many national point you can accrue before making yourself ineligible for RCS consaideration.  I'm not sure what that value is.  The rules are on the GLDiv site.

Back to the thread....

Dayle

Dayle let me take a crack at it, I am on the GLD committee also, Keith you can read the rules for yourself on the GLD web the rules are posted. you can safly run this event becuase you have to qualifiy for the runnoffs to get the DQ on the champ series Last year I was in the point lead and had run 3 national races, I did in fact qualify for the runnofs but it was a point based system and they did not count bounus national points so I was still good to go on the GLD Champs,

So sign up and have fun.

edit, Dave is right its a point system but they do not count bonus points out of region.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

It should be something new for most of the crowd. The track is all fresh pavement and the fun part--no one has raced on it, so everyone should have a fighting chance...

I have raced on it.  I have done four Skip Barber formula car corporate days on the track, two in the rain.  I don't know how we are going to get a large Spec Miata field through that infield section.  It's really one lane, but I am sure that we will find ways to make it four wide all the way through.  Two wheels in the grass is still legal, right?  

One bit of advice that the Barber instructors gave us each time, "don't hit the ice machine!"  Not sure what type of tire wall will be built to avoid hitting the infield backstretch bathroom and yes, the ice machine sitting next to it?

Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:86

Kieth, you would have to hauling some serious a$$ in the wrong spot to hit the ice machine. (if we are talking about the same one).

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Keith I have been on the track for events here and there over the past few years, but never in a racing format.  I am sure they have plans for all the spots people could get into trouble...  I think the spectator viewing might be very good given how everything is setup at MIS. Most tracks we go to crews cant see a thing once the race starts and I think if you walk around just a little you should be able to see 90% of the action within a 50ft walk.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Kieth, you would have to hauling some serious a$$ in the wrong spot to hit the ice machine. (if we are talking about the same one).

This section frightens me a little.  I have seen Spec Miatas wreck in the straight aways at Mid-Ohio.  To me, I can see two wide coming through that right hand kink and someone getting sent by a little nudge and being able to reach those three buildings.  Bet we're doing 60 mph through there.  

https://maps.google....318396&t=h&z=18

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Copied from the production car site post by Dayle Frame. I thought I read they were going to implement some barriers.

"If you have any questions, email me (frameh@msu.edu) and I will try and get to it as soon as possible."

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Bump......

A quick update for everyone.

-We've had registration open for just over two weeks and have just under 100 entries. In addition, we've sold 50% of the garage stalls and RV spots. If you're after one of these paddock options, don't get caught out. Sign up ASAP to insure you get the spot you want. There is NO penalty for signing up now and bringing a check with you to the track. Registration can be done by going to this website: http://www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com/ and selecting the "drivers" option. Please consider paying by check so we don't pay the 5% credit card charge.

-There are rumors out there that the track is bumpy, the surface is falling apart and that running this event will tear your car apart. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. The entire track (oval and infield) was paved in 2012 and is as smooth as a baby's butt. I don't know where this got started and I don't care. Please feel free to watch an in-car video shot a couple of motnhs ago (1/19) at this address: http://www.wmr-scca.org/majors_mis.php. You'll see how smooth the surface is. Also, the track was widened and is now 36' wide. Plenty of room.

-If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will answer them ASAP.

Dayle

Dayle Frame

Dayle Frame

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

This section frightens me a little.  I have seen Spec Miatas wreck in the straight aways at Mid-Ohio.  To me, I can see two wide coming through that right hand kink and someone getting sent by a little nudge and being able to reach those three buildings.  Bet we're doing 60 mph through there.  

https://maps.google....318396&t=h&z=18

The three buldings you mention will be behind k-rails and will be well protected.  You may have seen in-car video from a Chumpcar event held last August where those buildings were not protected and a large propane tank was exposed to oncoming traffic.  THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN WITH US.

We (WMR and the SCCA) had an inspection of the track back in September.  A few things were needed to make the facility kosher for SCCA's rules.  Those items were all agreed to by MIS and they are adding those elements as we speak (now that the snow is gone).  I can assure you that this facility will be very safe.

Dayle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users