• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
"9.3.6. APPEARANCE NEAT AND CLEAN, AND SUITABLE FOR
COMPETITION
Specifically, cars that are dirty either externally or in the engine or passenger
compartments, or that show bodywork damage, structural or surface
rust, or that are partially or totally in primer, or that do not bear the prescribed
identification marks shall not be approved for competition."

How strictly is this enforced. I've got some "dirty" bumpers and a wrinkle or two on fenders/doors which happened in the last NASA race last year. I plan on running some SCCA this yea  and I'm hoping to get by this year without major body work. Just don't want to get turned back on race day.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Asselta

Mike Asselta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Region:Kansas City
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:70

Never seen anyone booted for recent wrinkles as long as safety isn't an issue, but you may be warned for the next race.  At least get tire rub and dirt off with a de-greaser.  The car should be clean.

If the stewards don't like your body damage, they will warn you to get it fixed.

Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7

White/yellow cars show every little rubber mark.  Dark colored cars are much easier to keep "clean."  I think a sanctioning body would want your registration dollars rather than telling you to go home for the weekend to bang out some fender dents.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I have been politely asked to please clean my car before I head back out on grid after some serious offroading.  I've had my annual recinded after I suffed my LF wheel under the car until it was returned back to safe condition later that weekend.  I haven't had an issue or seen someone have issue with bodywork that passes the 100/100 rule (looks OK from 100 yds at 100 mph)  I did however have a friend who's car didn't go over well with a sanctioning body when he painted if flat (primer) black.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
At a Roebling SARRC Race this very issue came up a few years back during impound after our first session. I had some damage from the week before with no time to fix it. I was asked to get the stewards my Log Book for 5" round dent in my front fender. They noted the dent and requested the repair be made before my next race. You should be fine. Just be respectful.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Nasa has a rule just as subjective, i think it has to look good at 35 feet and 35 mph or maybe its 50. I may find, out. After last weeks Majors at Road Atlanta my Right Rear qtr was hit hard and needs replaced. we pushed it out and now its a question of how soon can i get someone with the time to replace it. If they end up sending me home i will put that money towards the repair.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

When I rolled the Firebird at the Runoffs in Canada Corner, they pulled my tech sticker.  They gave it back to me when I beat out the roof and got it approximately the same color.  From 50 feet it looked OK, but up close it was a mess.  I have run the SM with varying degrees of wrinkled fenders, etc. for years without comment from anyone.  The car always looked OK from a distance.  

wheel

KRS

KRS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Sendiv
  • Car Number:18

"9.3.6. APPEARANCE NEAT AND CLEAN, AND SUITABLE FOR
COMPETITION
Specifically, cars that are dirty either externally or in the engine or passenger
compartments, or that show bodywork damage, structural or surface
rust, or that are partially or totally in primer, or that do not bear the prescribed
identification marks shall not be approved for competition."

How strictly is this enforced. I've got some "dirty" bumpers and a wrinkle or two on fenders/doors which happened in the last NASA race last year. I plan on running some SCCA this yea  and I'm hoping to get by this year without major body work. Just don't want to get turned back on race day.

I don't think its a racing Miata unless it looks like the way you've described your car! :optimist:

Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

My 1.6 car has has looked like crap for a few yrs, just mid-pack beat up !!!  but out on the track it looks great.

• Michael Colangelo likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

If it looks good at 100 mph from 100 feet away, you should be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users