dbednarz

dbednarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:68

It comes with great sadness to report the passing of Harry Manning this morning.

Harry raced in the SCCA for over 20 years, winning an SCCA Runoffs championship in 2003 in Showroom Stock B, several Runoffs podiums, as well as many, many,  SCCA National Events in SSB and Spec Miata. He has been, and will continue to be a role model to me, on and off the race track.

Harry was active in local government, elected three times and currently held a seat as a village trustee of his hometown.

His wife Mary, son John, daughter Wendy, and two grandchildren will miss him greatly.  Harry lost a very short battle with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

It won't be the same without #92.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

So sad to hear, Harry raced in last years SCCA National at Mid Ohio and "beat my butt" this is such a shock. He will be missed.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Number:65

This has been a terrible off season. RIP 92

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

So sorry to hear this. Harry was racing with us till just a year ago. Cannot beleive this has come so suddenly. RIP Harry.

Seriously, you have to suck the marrow out of every day.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Harry was a client of Weekend-Racer, a straight shooter & one heck of a nice guy.  A loss for our community.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Good bye Harry!!! You were the real deal and I'm confident you are in a better place!!
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Charlie James

Charlie James

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Godspeed Harry! You raced it hard whether it was for 1st or 15th, you made people earn it!

Praying for his family and loved ones.

• john mueller and Jim Drago like this

http://www.SafeRacer.com

2013 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I had the pleasure of paddocking next to Harry a couple times. Great guy and a legend in club racing. Very sad news.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

A week ago I viewed Harry's Miata for sale by Advanced and felt sad because Harry didn't race any longer.

This adds a whole new meaning to sad.

Thank you for the trinkets along the way.

RIP friend Harry.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Oh man, I missed this thread.  I posted my own, but there were a couple of newspaper articles about Harry today:

http://mountpleasant...g-has-past-away

http://journaltimes....1a4bcf887a.html

If
you knew Harry on the track he was an intimidating dude, but off the
track he helped me an awful lot.  A really cool guy and I know with
nationals he knew many of the guys across the country.  I think he told
me once he had 1500 laps at Mid Ohio.  If you knew Harry then you
probably knew his wife Mary and what an awesome lady she is, ASIDE from
the fact that she happily supported him at the track - which is more
than any of us should ask of our partners :)  I hope you keep her in your thoughts.

I'm
pretty crushed, I will always remember his old toothy grin crouched
over that battered old showroom stock car that he converted to one
fiercely fast Spec Miata.  If you didn't know Harry lived in the town of
Mount Pleasant which meanders through my own and he served on the
village board for many years.

• pat slattery likes this

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Very Very sad.  Of all the people we have raced with they were the best.    Shawn and I became very good friends with Harry, and Rusty.  They were as nice and helpful of people that anyone could ask for. They were not big budget racers, did most of the work himself and was very knowledgeable.  Harry was fierce on the track but was also fair and He will be missed.  I can't say how much he will be missed. :raincloud:

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Will just share a little on Harry.  I could write all day about him.  

Back in the late 90's Harry was one of the kings in SSB which was a VERY competitive and well attended class back then.  The Miata was the car of choice for most but there was one guy, David Daughtery, who drove a Nissan 240 in that class.  He and harry had an incredible rivalry for years and it was fun to watch as an outsider.  They would take turns beating each other, they grew not to like each other and at times it got a little ugly on the track.  They were as different as their cars.  Harry was more reserved and more calculating.  Daughtery was the more flamboyant one.  Harry would usually paddock on pavement and close to the action.  Daughtery would paddock as far away as possible in the grass and carried a lawnmower in his trailer.  He'd mow himself a paddock spot.  Harry was always careful about his stuff and his information.  Daughtery would let strangers drive his car.  Daughtery has won I believe 7 SCCA Runoffs titles.  Harry won 1 but I think Harry pushed David to win a couple of those.  Daughtery was once heard saying, "I'm not going to Road America because I can't beat Harry up there". They had some amazing battles over the years, one in which they finished 1-2 and both cars came of the track with hardly a straight body panel.  The really went at it.  All angst aside and the contrast in styles, they had a lot of respect for each other and it was one of the battles that the rest of us would look forward to during a race weekend back then.   

• pat slattery, David Brown and Blake Thompson like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Great story.  I loved Harry's logbook of all the stuff that I can't imagine why the hell anyone would write down, but it sure seemed to work for him.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:55

Enjoyed a lot of racing time with Harry.....I will miss the team of Harry and Rusty.  Godspeed Harry....

Chris Williams
2000 Spec Miata Orange #55
NASA Great Lakes Spec Miata Series Director

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I raced with Harry since 06. Like many have said, tough as nails on the track. He never gave an inch, often took two or three, or at least made sure you didn't get them. :) If you beat Harry, you earned it.  A real gentleman outside the car. He has been racing more than many of us combined. Godspeed to Harry and prayers and best wishes for his family during this hard time

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

It always amazed me how this mild mannered guy could be such a fierce competitor on the track. We will all miss you

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KRS

KRS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Sendiv
  • Car Number:18

Harry was the instructor at driving school for Aaron and me. He made a huge first impression. I will never forget him getting pissed at me for not turning hard enough into the corners so he grabbed the steering wheel to show me what he meant. He was a great guy and we wish his family the time to heal and time to reflect.

• Blake Thompson likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Checkout this article I found in the local newspaper from 1995 about Harry.  I learned that Nick Esayian is from my home town too:

http://journaltimes....35058bd1d2.html

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I have the #92 Spec Miata here. If anyone is looking for a proven fast car, that needs a little TLC in the bodywork department, give me a call. I am sure his family would appreciate a quick sale.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have posted a very short clip of the SCCA Double National at Mid Ohio last June. Tom Sager is in front  I think we are racing for 6th or 7th Harry is behind me. we are going into the braking zone at the end of back straight after i get to the first brake cone Harry moves inside to make a classic pass on me, and makes it stick. I did not give him lots of room either and he makes a text book pass.

You can see him coming in the rear mirror.

Perfect.

http://youtu.be/pq1hdXgBEz0

• pat slattery, Jim Drago and Blake Thompson like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users