• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

For the past 8 years or so, I have always had at least one long phone conversation with Harry in the off-season, and was just thinking about calling him since I hadn't heard from him yet. 

I have so many good memories of chatting with Harry and Rusty.  I was always happy to see Harry at the track, and never happy to see him in my mirror :)  Harry and I were not entirely in agreement on the GCR's definition of "blocking" and "racing room", but our cars never touched each other that I can remember.   I always liked to think we had some mutual respect for each other, and a willingness to avoid a chance of hard feelings.  In other words, he could have punted me a few times and didn't ... and I could have let him squeeze me to the grass or wall a couple times, and I lifted.

My favorite Harry Manning story has to do with how successfully and perpetually he drove the Puskars batty, apparently dating back to when Chris was competing in SSB with a Miata.  When I was invited to Mike Puskar's surprise birthday party a few years back, I arranged for Harry to send me a birthday card that I sneaked onto the gift table and hung around all night waiting for Mike to open.  None of the Puskar men believed the card had really come from Harry, and once I assured them that it had, all the old stories of how Harry won the 2003 Runoffs, etc., etc., came up all over again :)   It was hilarious, and I remember calling Harry the next day to tell him all about it. 

My second favorite Harry Manning story comes from the 2006 Runoffs in Topeka.  Harry and I were both pulled in for Tech inspection after a qually session, and neither Harry nor Rusty were limber enough to get his 99's ECU out.  I volunteered to do "The 10 Minute Headstand" for him, and I can assure anyone now (and anyone then), that ECU was never out of the car before then.  The nuts were tight and un-nicked and perfectly torqued, the connector was tight and had no scratches or gouges, all the factory plastic routing clips were where they would be on a "Showroom Stock" car, etc.  And thus the #1 rumor (of the time) as to Harry's speed became unraveled, and had to be re-invented :)

• pat slattery likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

great post Mark.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Godspeed Harry...

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Arrangements

Covenant
Presbyterian Church, 40 Ohio Street, Racine, 262-634-4597

Visitation at the church:

4:00 to 6:30 p.m., Monday, April 1;

10:00 to 10:45 a.m.,Tuesday, April 2

Memorial Service at the church: 11:00 a.m., Tuesday, April 2

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Raced him since mid 90s. Always a trick up his sleeve and I loved that. He and the late BD Hicks owned Miata racing back then. What I learned those two gents taught. He was great at the old school art of SS racing. In 2000 I had a fast car at the sprints but Harry had a wide one with plenty dents already. Epic fight I can remember every lap and thank him for that. The era of 99 Miata racing begun right there.

More camber to you Harry!
  • john mueller likes this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users