Pat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Hey all, 

So im thinking about participating in the 1.5 endurance race at daytona in may and have a few questions, ill be runing the SM and have figured i might as well refuel during the 5 minute pit stop. i looked at Central FLorida Regions website and found there .pdf about the rules and my questions are 

1. what exactly is fire resistant clothing, i cant find any definition in the GCR other than for race suits 

2. CFR says they follow the GCRs rules on endurance racing, and i searched the 2013 GCR and the word Endurance isnt even used once. 

SO basically what do i need to know about doing your first enduro because im a little anxious and feel ill prepared. I know i must get a fire extinguisher and water for fuel/oil spills. and the clothing for the re-fuller(whatever that is)

anything else i need or any other advise or tips?

Also will a brand new set ( not broken in) of hoosiers last the race 

Thanks Pat

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999

Pat,

Have the fuel guy wear a race suit, helmet, closed toe shoes and gloves and he/she will be good.

here are supplemental regs for the weekend

http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=488

Here are the SE-Division ECR Rules

http://www.sedivecr.com/

Tom

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9

Pat,

You will have to get out of the car for the refueling.  My only other suggesion would be to make sure you time the pit stop, its 5 minutes from the time you stop, till you get going again.

As for tires, I am sure you wont have any problem with a new set of tires lasting, imo Daytona isnt hard on tires. 

Greg

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat

Pat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Florida

yea i was reading those regs Tom it was that "fire resistant material" that i was confused about thanks 

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I recommend that anyone who is doing fueling should have a multilayer Nomex race suit on, leather high-top style boots, Nomex gloves and a full face helmet (balaclava preferred).  Fueling the car in a race should not be taken lightly, one error and all hell can break loose.  Walk-through how it's going to be done and look for potential safety concerns.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Number:14

Pat, I've never raced in your region but have done many endurance event across the US, mostly in Miata. If the enduro is only 90 minutes and you are required to stop for 5 minutes, then I would suggest filling your stock fuel tank to the very top and not worry about refueling. On every track I've been on, a Miata is good for over 90 minutes and you only need 85 minutes worth of fuel. And the tires should easily last the whole event. Since this is your first enduro, then I would suggest taking your mandatory 5 minute break somewhere close to half way and have some one hand you a cold water or sports drink.  IMHO, the Miata is a great enduo race car.  But most of all, have fun.

• Rob Burgoon likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Pat....
Agree with Cam 100%. This is basically a 90 minute sprint race and having done several endurance races in a SM, you should have no problem with fuel. The supps don't specifically say how much fuel you can start with, but assuming it is either 10 gallons or a full tank, you don't need to refuel. I would think the mandatory 5min pit stop will occur about halfway. Hydrate, if possible, and use the time to mentally relax. Sounds like fun.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Pat, 

If you decide to re-fuel, one other matter is that you need a second person holding a fire bottle standing near the fueler. Best practice (may be required) is to have the fire-bottle person standing w/in 10 feet with the nozzle pointed at the fueler. The fire-bottle person only needs to wear long pants and closed toe shoes, race suit and helmet is not required for this person.

Finally, feel free to ask lots of questions at registration. Better to get the rules down instead of getting a penalty or DQ for inadvertent mistakes.

Have fun!

Tom 

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

+1 no refuel. 

Check the ECR rules - I believe they give transit times for all the pitlanes in the series.

Personally I prefer to get my pit stop in early ~ 20-30 minute mark.

Great series - best bang for the buck too.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dirt Surfer

Dirt Surfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Car Year:1991

Pat, 

If you decide to re-fuel, one other matter is that you need a second person holding a fire bottle standing near the fueler. Best practice (may be required) is to have the fire-bottle person standing w/in 10 feet with the nozzle pointed at the fueler. The fire-bottle person only needs to wear long pants and closed toe shoes, race suit and helmet is not required for this person.

Finally, feel free to ask lots of questions at registration. Better to get the rules down instead of getting a penalty or DQ for inadvertent mistakes.

Have fun!

Tom 

I believe that since you have to get out of the car during refueling that you yourself could hold the fire extinguisher while your fuel guy refuels the car since you would just be standing by the car anyway.

I'm not Crazy but I'am a Carrier

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

If you fuel, usually the fueler needs a full face helmet with the visor down and the rest of the clothing as described above. 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users